Optima battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my 05 explorer dash lights and gauges started doing crazy things, I found out my battery was on its way out. I think I looked at every battery around and finally just took the plunge and bought a red top optima, seeing how I plan on keeping this thing a long time. The paper work that came with it warned about using the correct battery charger to charge it if the need ever arises. I'll have to read again to remember exactly what it said but does anyone know anything about this? I'm wondering if I can use my little schumacher battery charger on it. Its the automatic type 2, 4, 10amp that shuts down after a full charge.

Any automatic battery charger should be okay with the Optima. The issue with charging AGM bateries is that they are sealed. While you can replace the water in a flooded battery that sees too high of charging voltages, An AGM's electrolyte cannot be replenished.

Optimas should state the maximum charging voltages. You should monitor the charger if you put it on the 10 amp charge to make sure this threshold is not surpassed.

My 2/12/25 Schumacher can and does go into the mid 15's, even on the AGM setting, which if left too long on an AGM battery might cause thermal runaway, or just loss of electrolyte. I try not to allow it to apply 15+ volts for very long. Not really Automatic, or Intelligent as it's label states.

That works in reverse too...the old optimas aren't the new optimas...but yet they're both optimas. Wow..deep, thanks

I have an Optima battery and use a 1 amp battery maintainer on it. If you let these batteries run down, they loose life.

Here is what Optima says:

OPTIMA RedTop Charging Information

The following charging methods are recommended to insure a long battery life - always use a voltage-regulated charger, with voltage limits set as described below.

RedTop Type: 34 & 34R - 34/78 - 78 - 25 & 35 - 75/25
These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications.
Recommended charging information:
Alternator:

* 13.3 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery Charger:

* 13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.

Rapid Recharge:

* Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated), no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Float Charge:

* 13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

All limits must be strictly adhered to.
Safety Information:

* Always wear safety glasses when working with batteries.
* Always use a voltage regulated battery charger with limits set to the above ratings. Overcharging can cause the safety valves to open and battery gasses to escape, resulting in premature failure. These gasses are flammable! You cannot replace water in sealed batteries that have been overcharged. Any battery that becomes very hot or makes a hissing sound while recharging should be disconnected immediately.
* Failure to fully charge a battery can result in poor performance and a reduction in capacity.

Last edited:
I tried the Optima experiment on about 5 vehicles in the family. All red top and they really didn't last longer than regular batteries. Had 2 of them leak acid at the seams. I started buying them in 2001 and bought the last one about 2004 or 2005.

You do need a special lower voltage battery charger like the Battery Minder or Battery Tender. I have one of each. Maybe some of the electronic chargers are OK, but you would want to monitor the voltage.

I tried charging an Optima with my regular charger and it starting going past 15 volts. That's when I bought the Battery Minder.

Good Luck

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I tried the Optima experiment on about 5 vehicles in the family. All red top and they really didn't last longer than regular batteries. Had 2 of them leak acid at the seams. I started buying them in 2001 and bought the last one about 2004 or 2005.

This is a common problem with people who buy deep cycle batteries, yes they will handle deep cycles better. They will however need a charge just like any battery. if you plan on storing your car the best thing to do for the battery is remove it place it on a maintainer or charger before putting it back in service

same here got rid of all my redtops and bought all odyssey they are a combination of deep cycle and starting batt...redtops are just a starting batt.don't last very long..you have to keep it charged

Last edited:
Well, I guess I'll find out how long mine lasts. The old Motorcraft was about 5 years old so I'm hoping for 7 or more. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I do like the fact that it has alot more CCAs which is what I was mainly looking for. Don't have any audio loads, winch, lights, etc.

I have a red top that I purchased in 2000. I keep it in a car that is only driven a dozen times a year or so. I have always kept a 1.5 amp trickle charge on it with auto shut off. The battery is 10 years old and haven't had any issues with it.

Dont get me wrong I had a old school red top in my pontiac that was 8 years old when I sold the car and was still working. Then again the AcDelco from my sierra lasted 8 years too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back