Opinions wanted on A6

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2007 Audi A6 3.2 for the past 10 years with 123k miles on it. It has been extremely reliable had a starter replaced after purchase under warranty. I paid for an A/C recharge and bluetooth module fail for a total cost of $1200. Parts are not much more I think I paid around $450 for 4 rotors and pads back and front. If you do the work yourself it is not much worse than an import/domestic of like size and complexity. If you go to a dealer not so much. I think dealer gets around $1500 for front and rear brakes and $150 for an oil change. I do the basics oil changes and brakes. The A/C done at indy bluetooth at dealer. Car is 10 years old and still drives and looks new. I had just washed and waxed and when I pulled up to a neighbor he asked if I got a new car. Audi make great Highway cars very quiet and smooth. We also have a 2008 BMW X3 which is pure GARBAGE. It has had oil leaks, tranfer case failure, broken sunroof all very common problems. We will dump it on next major repair and get another AUDI.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Unfortunately, those were NOT HID bulbs but rather usual incandescent bulbs; so they need to be replace few times during the life of the car.

That's if your lucky. On various Volvo sites I've read of owners replacing various bulbs multiple times per year (including headlight bulbs). My 10 year old Focus has the same headlight bulbs since new.
21.gif

I find this funny, as back in the 80's and 90's I recall my dad having the same issue on his 145 and 245's

Despite what the purists say, I guess Volvo hasn't strayed too far from their history,
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: raaizin
We have a 2007 Audi A6 3.2 for the past 10 years with 123k miles on it. It has been extremely reliable had a starter replaced after purchase under warranty. I paid for an A/C recharge and bluetooth module fail for a total cost of $1200. Parts are not much more I think I paid around $450 for 4 rotors and pads back and front. If you do the work yourself it is not much worse than an import/domestic of like size and complexity. If you go to a dealer not so much. I think dealer gets around $1500 for front and rear brakes and $150 for an oil change. I do the basics oil changes and brakes. The A/C done at indy bluetooth at dealer. Car is 10 years old and still drives and looks new. I had just washed and waxed and when I pulled up to a neighbor he asked if I got a new car. Audi make great Highway cars very quiet and smooth. We also have a 2008 BMW X3 which is pure GARBAGE. It has had oil leaks, tranfer case failure, broken sunroof all very common problems. We will dump it on next major repair and get another AUDI.

I'm not surprised. You post seems similar to what many of the reviews from Consumer Reports indicate.

Despite being owned by VW, it seems like Audi really is a better brand.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: Danno
Yaaaa,...friends don't let friends buy german vehicles out of warranty.

+1

My parents have had a few BMW's and even with meticulous maintenance they just become money pits past 100k.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro

My parents have had a few BMW's and even with meticulous maintenance they just become money pits past 100k.

What BMWs did they own? Some aren't too bad maintenance wise, but any of the V8s, V10s, or the SUVs can be nightmares. The 335i with the N54 can be a maintenance nightmare as well.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

What BMWs did they own? Some aren't too bad maintenance wise, but any of the V8s, V10s, or the SUVs can be nightmares. The 335i with the N54 can be a maintenance nightmare as well.

Mom had a 2001 3.0 X5 and dad still has a 2005 3.0 X5. The 01 was a basketcase from the beginning and was sold around 80-90k miles. 05 crossed 200k recently, mostly been ok but small things every few months since it crossed 200k. Adds up if you don't do all repairs yourself.

He's wanted to get rid of it for a few years but can't find a suitable replacement. Japanese, medium size suv, adequate power, adaptive cruise control, Android Auto Apple Carplay. Only vehicle that fits the bill is 2019 Acura RDX.

Last edited:

Mom had a 2001 3.0 X5 and dad still has a 2005 3.0 X5. The 01 was a basketcase from the beginning and was sold around 80-90k miles. 05 crossed 200k recently, mostly been ok but small things every few months since it crossed 200k. Adds up if you don't do all repairs yourself.

He's wanted to get rid of it for a few years but can't find a suitable replacement. Japanese, medium size suv, adequate power, adaptive cruise control, Android Auto Apple Carplay. Only vehicle that fits the bill is 2019 Acura RDX.

Yeah I've heard some stories about the earlier X5s. My neighbor has a 2004 330xi with that same engine (M54) and it has had a fair amount of issues for the mileage it has (only 60k). My GF's 2006 325xi has the N52 engine and has about 130k miles on it. Besides the famous electric water pump, thermostat, and most recently oil filter housing gasket, the car has been pretty solid. There are also a few guys on the E90 3-series forum with over 300k miles on their cars.

Seems like they can be hit and miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back