Onan Engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to replace the engine on a Snapper rider that recently died. It currently has a Kohler 14hp Command engine on it, and I came across an Onan 14hp E140V engine that I would like to use to replace it. The Onan looks well-made, and it's cheaper than a new Kohler. So, is Onan a quality engine? I know they've made generator engines for years. How do they rate? Thanks.

I've seen a Onan engine on a floor buffer at a grocery store once. It ran on propane. I would go for it. How many other snapper riders in the country would be so unique?

Onan makes great engines!
worshippy.gif

John Deere and Wheel Horse used them in their high end garden tractors. They have an excellent reputation for lasting alot of hours. A friend of mine has a JD 318 with 1,600 hours and the engine has never been opened.

Onan made/makes top knotch small engines. Known for long service life, but super expensive parts. Onan no longer sells engines to vendors. Have not for years now. They only put them on Onan products (generators). I'd love to have one on my lawn/garden equipment!
G/luck
Joel

Got it today. It's a big beastie at 100 pounds. Now, I just have to get it bolted to the Snapper, and figure out the wiring. It seems like a pretty bulletproof motor, I wonder why Onan never marketed it more heavily?

I personally have an Onan generator, it's an early 80's model and its been around since it was new. It has a Briggs and Straton 8hp engine on it though, it starts and runs perfectly and starts easily even after long periods of storage.
I'm sure that Onan's new generator's have the Onan engines on them.

I've seen Onan engines in the Northern Tool and Equipment catalog's the last time I checked, seems to be a great engine.

I got it mounted to the Snapper, bolted right on. Now, I'm trying to wire it up. It uses a high-torque starter, so the wiring is different from the Kohler's. Onan must put alot of iron and steel in these things, as it's quite a bit heavier and larger then anything Kohler has.

A wiring question: the new engine has the solenoid mounted on the starter, whereas the Kohler had a separate solenoid mounted away from the starter. Can I just hookup the old wires to the new starter (it uses just one wire to the starter), or do I have to redo the wiring setup? Thanks.

The solenoid wherever it is has 3 terminals. A big one from the battery, and to the starter, and a little from the starter switch, key. Mounted on the starter, run a heavy cable to the one terminal from the battery, and the small wire from the switch. The third terminal is already connected to the starter, maybe by more like a plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back