Oilguard Cold Flow Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who have an oilguard bypass,I'm wondering how much these filters flow at starting temps or if they even flow at all? The reason I ask is I was considering getting an oilguard and then plumbing the oil through a small cooler on the way back to the valve cover for a cheap and easy cooler. However I don't really want to be cooling the cold oil and inhibiting the warm up process. So if the filter flowed very little at lower temps it would be ideal. Thanks for any info

Hmm, well I have one, but I don't know what the "cold" flow rate would be. I know that on their website they say it filters one quart per minute. While the oil is cold I would guess it would flow at maybe half that rate?

A bypass filter has such high resistance to flow that it probably flows almost nothing when cold. You operate cold such a small portion of the time that it isn't a problem.

Cooling the minor flow through a bypass filter probably isn't a significant help to cooling the oil.

Ken

The submicronic bypass filters have a lot more depth and a lot more resistance to flow in the winter. This time of year the filter is very hot when I get to work which is about 18 miles. In the winter it is just starting to warm up.
An easy system for cooling the oil would be to install a Perma-Cool oil cooler with a sanwitch adapter. In series with the oil cooler I could install a Motor Guard ATF filter which is just motor oil filter with an element bypass orifice in it to reduce the resistance thru the filter. The non submicronic filters reduce the flow with smaller orifices. One car I had had an air conditioner that didn't work. I tossed the compressor and ran the oil from the Motor Guard thru the condensor. The filter was hooked up in the conventional way. The air conditioner condensor was cooling the oil at about 2 qts per minute at 18 degrees F. As the engine warmed up the filtering increased. I have the Camry leaned out to get maximum fuel economy and it is running a higher than normal temperature. I probably should add a cooler to the oil and ATF to take the stress off the cooling system. It has 180,000 miles on it.
July and August in the Dallas area is rough on equipment.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back