Oil temperature in relation to Coolant temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a cyberdyne oil temp gauge and sender on my 2002 Camaro ss.
I initially tapped the sender into the port that's above the oil filter, but because that's right next to the catalytic converter the gauge would read over 260F all the time in the summer. A few years ago I got an adapter and put it in place of the oil pan drain plug. I can tell you in winter, coolant temp gets to 210F in about 10-15 minutes or I would be on the highway going to work in the morning and coolant but be up to around 210F, and oil temp would just be getting to 100F. This is for either temp sender locations. So oil temp really lags behind coolant temp especially in weather < 60F.
During summer with sender in oil pan after maybe 30 minutes oil temp would equalize around 200F. That temp would be highly dependent on outside air temp and driving conditions. 90F outside temp would average around 220F, around 70F oil around 190-200F in the pan. If I stopped, or was in stop and go traffic, oil temp would rise into 220-250 range in the pan fairly quickly again depending on outside air temp. And once oil was up around 250 it takes a while to come back down to 220F or less certainly longer than it took to get there.

but to your original question, if temp was 50F or less out for me, my drive to work was 15-17 miles mostly highway, last 2-3 miles in town and stoplights. oil temp when I get to work is just getting to 160-170F, that's with about 30 minutes of driving and maybe letting the car idle in the driveway 1-2 minutes before i left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back