Oil Temperature and moisture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a water to oil oil filter heat exchanger from a Ford Taurus on my Gen Coupe. It worked great but extended the oil filter down too much to use the OE oil filter. I finally took it off s the only filter I could find that worked was just too small and I don't really need it now.

but I would say it kept oil temps within 20F of coolant temps for the most part. Really helped heat up the oil on a cold engine. Cut the time in half to get to the normalized temp.

That's a proper integrated total package cooling system.

Most engines, most of the heat generated is in the bearings, and reciprocating bearing surfaces...falls straight back to the sump to get cooled convectively on both the oil and the air sides.

Breaking the major link between coolant and oil temperature.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Replace your dipstick with a meat thermometer?

I've seen temperature gauges on radiator caps, so maybe it's time for this.
wink.gif

I have an aftermarket radiator that has a threaded port right over the top radiator hose inlet. Good place for a sensor I guess.

Most newer cars with oil controlled cams have an OE oil temp sensor now.

Originally Posted By: plaguef
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
My X5 has an oil cooler with thermostat from the factory. The oil stays in a very narrow window of 210-220 F. I would trust that BMW knew what they were doing with setting the temperature. FWIW, the engine coolant stays in a range of 190-205 F.

Even on a track?
laugh.gif

Haha can't say I've had my X5 on a track, but I bet oil temps would stay close to that range. It's a giant oil cooler with a big dedicated air duct.

Originally Posted By: plaguef
My X5 has an oil cooler with thermostat from the factory. The oil stays in a very narrow window of 210-220 F. I would trust that BMW knew what they were doing with setting the temperature. FWIW, the engine coolant stays in a range of 190-205 F.

Even on a track?
laugh.gif

Haha can't say I've had my X5 on a track, but I bet oil temps would stay close to that range. It's a giant oil cooler with a big dedicated air duct.

Probably. My 135 will get the oil up to 120C, and it will stay there, stop and go, highway cruising or track use.

You can get a temp gauge probe to replace the dipstick on BMW Airheads - most people take them off as the readings are pretty scary.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Personally, I would say oil operating in the 200 to 240 F degree range is ideal.
I think most accepted in the automotive world is 220 or so.

I have an 1991 GM 2.3l quad 4. Now heat was a REAL problem with these motors. Very few lasted. This Is why I'm asking, running so hot in these motors causes to much thermal cycling at such a hot temperature it just destroys the head gaskets. So Im seeing what the min temp of oil/coolant can be so I'm not doing damage at the other end of the spectrum.

When I first got my John Deere F510 I knew the oil was getting too hot just from changing it when hot. I stuck a thermocoupler down there after a two hour mow in mid 90fs temps and it was ~300F. The engine and hydraulic unit have a semi shared sump.

OK. After a 20-25 min drive, oil temp with "temp probe" Yes it was a meat thermometer. Oil temp was 190 coolant Temp 160.

Originally Posted By: LZ1989
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Personally, I would say oil operating in the 200 to 240 F degree range is ideal.
I think most accepted in the automotive world is 220 or so.

I have an 1991 GM 2.3l quad 4. Now heat was a REAL problem with these motors. Very few lasted. This Is why I'm asking, running so hot in these motors causes to much thermal cycling at such a hot temperature it just destroys the head gaskets. So Im seeing what the min temp of oil/coolant can be so I'm not doing damage at the other end of the spectrum.

The problem with the head gaskets is the iron block with aluminium head. Different expansion rates as the engine warms up.

Yes that is the main reason. Stock was 195 thermo, and 220-230 (somewhere in there) for the fan. Thats quite a bit thermal cycling sitting in traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back