Oil separated from thickener. Irreversible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

A grease jar has been sitting for around a decade.

The grease is now surrounded by oil, roughly I would say that 10% of the total volume of the jar is oil, rest 90% grease. Can it be usable again?
The place where the container was forgotten, was never seen by sun, neither was humid.

Thank you for your thoughts.

How do you plan to use it? Makes a difference on boat trailer bearing or 5th wheel surface. Definitely usable for something

Originally Posted by berlyn
Hello,

A grease jar has been sitting for around a decade.

The grease is now surrounded by oil, roughly I would say that 10% of the total volume of the jar is oil, rest 90% grease. Can it be usable again?
The place where the container was forgotten, was never seen by sun, neither was humid.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Why............. get new good grease

Hello spk2000,

So not repairable to the original state? I could use it as general chassis grease maybe.

Originally Posted by berlyn
Hello spk2000,

So not repairable to the original state? I could use it as general chassis grease maybe.

I don't see why not. Stir it all together again. I would use it for almost anything, but not wheel bearings.

gently heat it up and stir. It will remix. Grease separates all the time. That's why my grease gun is stored in a plastic bag.

i wouldnt use it for anything serious, for the same reason I wouldnt use 10 year old motor oil.

Grease is usually around $3 a tube for something decent.

Now if its trailer ball grease etc.. still fine for that.

Mix it well and go on about life using it. I have been using the same can of wheel bearing grease for the last 15+ years very infrequently. Each time I had to do some slight mixing and have used it on many wheel bearing jobs with no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back