Oil recommendation for Ford 5.0 HO in 62 Falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents, I recently got my 62 Falcon going. It is a carbed Ford ATK Racing Engines 5.0 HO engine with E7 heads, E303 cam and dual exhaust in front of a C4. It has 2,000 miles since I got it going. It is just my weekend driver and does not get raced. I'm running Rotella T5 10w-30 at the moment but figured I'd ask for other opinions.

IMG_3716%20Small_zpsg3o67o0k.jpg

IMG_3707%20Small_zps3ewv7xnu.jpg

IMG_3702%20Small_zpsiimcvbfw.jpg

Originally Posted By: cb4017
I'm running Rotella T5 10w-30 at the moment

No need to change, the Rotella is a fine choice.

Nice car.

A Thunder Falcon, I love it! What does ATK recommend for their engines? I'd ask them.

Yes, that is a great looking car.

I don't see any problems with Rotella T5 10w-30, I would just keep using it if it's working for you.

The T5 should be fine with that cam. It's relatively mild and doubtful it has high spring pressures. M1 15W-50 is another alternative if you want to extend the OCIs for years on end.

It is a roller cam engine. ATK recommends a 10w-30 oil, not brand specific. I figured the Rotella T5 would be satisfactory but also open to other recommendations.

Thanks for the input. This car is fun. The engine was topped with a Holley 600 cfm carb on an Edelbrock manifold. I rebuilt the C4, added a TCI Streetfighter torque converter and valve body. The rear end is an 8" from a Maverick. I kept the stock 2.79 gears for better highway cruising.

Originally Posted By: OldSparks
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Does the engine have a roller or flat tappet cam?

I think an E303 is a roller cam...

Yep roller, use anything you like...

I'm using the 10W-30 Rotella in a fresh flat tappet 302 I recently installed in my '72 Mercury Comet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back