Oil Recommendation For a Supercharged Ford Modular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody. First time poster here. I'm interested in hearing what you all have to say in regards to what oil I should use for my application.

I'm running a Ford Modular DOHC V8 in my 1990 Mercury Cougar XR7. It is a Teksid (aluminum) block with a forged stroker rotating assembly, displacing 298 c.i. All of the bearings and piston skirts have had a DFL coating applied to them. The oil pan is baffled and features a crank scraper. The oil pump is a Melling Select HO unit. The engine has a non-intercooled twin-screw supercharger on top, pushing 10 lbs of boost. The engine runs on 93 octane pump gas, with supplemental methanol/water injection when under boost. The car is my street/strip play toy. It sees about 1000 miles per year on average, along with at least a few trips to the drag strip. I take it on at least one 300 mile long cruise per year, but I also take it out for short jaunts to the local ice cream shack or for a little cruise around the area whenever my right foot is feeling heavy.
56.gif

Due to packaging constraints, I'm running a remote mount oil filter (Motorcraft FL1A), which is connected to the engine via -10AN lines. The car also has a 1 qt. oil accumulator with an electric solenoid valve and one-way flow control valve. The valves allow me to prime the engine with 1 qt. of pressurized oil from the driver's seat just before startup, while regulating the refill rate of the accumulator to prevent starving the engine for oil. I just flick the switch, wait a second to see about 25 psi on the oil pressure gauge, then hit the starter.

I used 5W-30 Valvoline All-Climate in the engine for the first 2000 miles. Afterward, I switched over to Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30 as recommended by my machinist. The engine now has just over 3000 miles on it. It doesn't use any oil or produce any significant blowby. Cold startup oil pressure in 50-90 degree F weather is in the 85-90 psi range at idle. Once the oil has warmed up, the pressure drops to 15 psi at its 650 rpm idle. Pressure reaches a max of 90-100 psi during a full throttle 7000 rpm run.

During my last oil change, I added about 1/4 of a quart of Lucas Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer to the 7 1/2 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 (which after reading here, I realize wasn't the best idea). I've noticed that it has brought my hot idle oil pressure up to 25 psi, without adding any pressure at cold startup or full throttle. I'd like to keep the hot idle oil pressure around 20-25 psi, while eliminating the Lucas from the system. From what I've read, Mobil 1's 0W-40 looks like the oil to go with, but I'm interested in your recommendations.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I just wanted to lay all of the information out there. Thank you for your time.

-Rod

I used to run 5w40 Rotella T full synthetic in my supercharged (vortech) thunderbird..

It was a good oil, I had a rich tune, and was having some fuel dillusion issues.

Depending on your tune, you will want to have an oil sample sent away and see how your choice is performing.

Perhaps Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel truck 5w-40? Ford's new supercharged bullet takes 5w-50...

Last edited:
Rod, although the hood scoop is a little big for my taste, that sure is one beautiful car!

I have an Eaton blower on my Marauder and I run Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. Oil pressure on the modular motors does vary a lot between hot and cold. I get close to 100 pounds at cold startup, and hot idle in gear is around 20-25.

I used to use M1, but I found PP to be quieter and smoother in my application. This may be a figment of my imagination, but there it is.

If you can find Castrol Syntec 5w-50 i'd use it, its great in turbo and supercharged motors

but if you can't get it then go with M1 5w-40 TDT
Nice car btw

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Castrol Syntec 5w50.

This is what a lot of Shelby GT500 guys are running on the Mustang forums.

I'm also curious about his meth/water injection. Was an inter cooler style manifold with heat exchanger not an option on your Kenne Bell? That would eliminate the need for meth/water at 10 PSI.

Red Line 5W-30, HTHS viscosity on par with most synthetic 40-weights makes it a great oil for high HP Modulars.

Nice car, I would not have as big a scoop, but that is a nice year XR7.

Technically the idle pressure is OK. 10 psi per thousand RPM rule. Not sure if it being higher helps protect better, or just makes everyone feel warmer and fuzzier?

I would try a 0w,5w,10w-40 and see how the pressure does at idle. Then you would not be too far away from what your machinist recommends wt wise.
I have never used any of the newer Amsoil racing oils. If it was mine I would try one or two of them out. I see they don't make the 40wt in the racing oil. But the other AMO 10w40 oil is pretty bullet proof.

Good luck and
welcome2.gif

Thanks for all of the replies! As far as the hood goes, the size of the scoop was dictated by the blower. I formed the sheetmetal to clear the blower, and I still had to create some clearance for the intake tube afterward.

JustinH, I do plan on sending a sample out to be tested once I get some miles on the oil. I do my own tuning using SCT's PRP with a XCal2. The tune isn't "rich", but it is still safe.

RF Overlord, I agree that the oil pressure on a Modular does vary a lot from hot to cold. The pressure you're seeing at hot idle is right where I'd like my pressure to be. I just don't think I can get there with a xW-30 oil.

The Eric and 5sfe91, what is the difference between Mobil 1's standard synthetic and their TDT oil? I'm just wondering what additives are in the TDT. I forgot to mention in my original post that this car does have O2 sensors and catalytic converters.

Unleashedbeast, an intercooled setup was/is not offered from KB for the pre-99 DOHC's, though I am working on my own liquid-to-air IC. The meth/water injection isn't absolutely necessary at 10 psi, but it drops the air charge temps and has the effect of increasing octane, which allows more ignition advance, thereby producing more power.

panthermike, I'll see about uploading a vid or two once I'm home. I can't get to many sites from here at work, though I'm able to get to this one...shhh...don't tell anyone.
wink.gif

oilboy123, I agree that 15 psi is technically ok. 25 psi would just make me feel a little warmer/fuzzier. I was under the impression that racing oils typically lack additives needed for longer durations between oil changes. While I only put about 1000 miles a year on the car, I also only change the oil about once every 8-10 months.

I'm really leaning towards a 0W-40 or 5W-40 oil...I just don't know which one yet.

Hot idle oil pressure is typically low on a Modular. Ford specs say the 4.6 4V should see 20-45 psi hot at 1500 rpm.

When looking at an application like this where power density is rather high and you need additional viscosity protection, HTHS viscosity is what I would be focusing instead of the SAE grade. This is going to tell you how much viscosity the oil is going to retain in high load, high temperature areas such as the main bearings and rings.

Mobil 5W-30 - 3.09
Mobil 1 0W-40 HTHS - 3.7
Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT - 3.9
Amsoil AFL 5W-40 - 3.7
Red Line 5W-30 - 3.8
Red Line 0W-40 - 4.0
Red Line 5W-40 - 4.6

Originally Posted By: racecougar

The Eric and 5sfe91, what is the difference between Mobil 1's standard synthetic and their TDT oil? I'm just wondering what additives are in the TDT. I forgot to mention in my original post that this car does have O2 sensors and catalytic converters.

The TDT will have a tougher add pack with more anti-wear aditives and a higher HT/HS than most other off the shelf synthetics in the 40 grade. Another option would be Rotella T6 5w-40, it's another HDEO.

There are no worries to running an HDEO such as TDT or RT6 and having trouble with your cats and O2's. Unless it burned through several quarts over your interval you'll never have a problem. The concern over phosphorus and zinc poisoning cats is more or less a myth. When Uncle Sam said converters needed to work better and longer, the auto industry had come up with ways to make it happen and guarantee it. Thinking of it like this... Before the zinc and phosphorus witch hunt, sensors and converters still worked fine didn't they?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
John Deere Supreme Plus-50 CH-4 0W-40 synthetic. This is by far the best oil I have ever used in my Crown Vic.

Another excellent choice! Chuck full of all the good additives. Maybe not the most available but great none the less.

Last edited:
Factoring in the HTHS viscosity numbers, local availability, and cost, it sounds like Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT would be the way for me to go in this particular application. I appreciate all of the responses, and if anyone has anything to add, by all means do so. I plan on running the oil that is in the engine for a little longer, then I'll switch over to the HDEO with a one year OCI.

The fact that your engine hasn't grenaded doesn't mean it's the best fit for the application.

How do you like that MMR engine? How many miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back