Oil Recommendation for 65 GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DaleGolds
.... you are lucky enough to have a dealer in your town, I do not.

You can get the exact same price a dealer will pay and shipping per case is $11. Shoot me a PM. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Brit33
This article illustrates exactly what happened to my old cam!.
Same damage. Scary.

cam damage

Had trouble finding original cams again for my alfa so now I'm very cautious about using Motul again.
Castrol with ZDDP added right now. All smooth and quiet.

Edge in a 50 wt is not available here unfortunately. 40wt is but too light.

See if Classic Car Motor Oil will ship to the UK. I am planning on using their oil. A few guys on the Pontiac Forum use it and they say it is top quality oil. I lived in Germany for 9 years but we had the AAFES system to shop at and a lot of American companies will ship to APO addresses. I hope you can find a simple solution.
Dale

Last edited:
how about Redline 5w30 - 10w40 street oils? Last I looked, their 5w30 and 10w40 had around 1400-1500ppm zinc and around 800ppm moly. I dont remember the 10w30, but I think it was below 1000ppm on the zinc

So your builder recommended an oil for the cams, but did he recommend a viscosity to give a good oil pressure?

Last edited:
Same damage. Scary.

cam damage

Had trouble finding original cams again for my alfa so now I'm very cautious about using Motul again.

See if Classic Car Motor Oil will ship to the UK. I am planning on using their oil. A few guys on the Pontiac Forum use it and they say it is top quality oil. I lived in Germany for 9 years but we had the AAFES system to shop at and a lot of American companies will ship to APO addresses. I hope you can find a simple solution.
Dale

I'm in S.America unfortunately. Very strict import regulations and high taxes!
cry.gif

Not even Mobil 1 15w50 here! 5W50 yes but the HTHS is just too low for my alfa.

Thanks anyway

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
how about Redline 5w30 - 10w40 street oils? Last I looked, their 5w30 and 10w40 had around 1400-1500ppm zinc and around 800ppm moly. I dont remember the 10w30, but I think it was below 1000ppm on the zinc

So your builder recommended an oil for the cams, but did he recommend a viscosity to give a good oil pressure?

We really have not got into the details yet since he is still working to see how much damage was caused when the last cam decided to eat itself. Once I get to the actual build I will get into more detailed topics. Right now I am just working on a brand that is a complete oil that requires no additives. I will worry about what viscosity later.

I actually did consider Red Line oil. It sells for around $10/qt but I could not get any specifics about the Zinc level. All their tech data sheets would say is their oils have from 600 to 1200 PPM Zinc. I don't like companies that won't give specifics about their products, make me think they are hiding something.

Dale

Same damage. Scary.

cam damage

Dale

cry.gif

Thanks anyway

Sorry, I'm bad. I did not look at your profile, DUH. I just assumed from your name you were from England.
Dale

We really have not got into the details yet since he is still working to see how much damage was caused when the last cam decided to eat itself. Once I get to the actual build I will get into more detailed topics. Right now I am just working on a brand that is a complete oil that requires no additives. I will worry about what viscosity later.

I actually did consider Red Line oil. It sells for around $10/qt but I could not get any specifics about the Zinc level. All their tech data sheets would say is their oils have from 600 to 1200 PPM Zinc. I don't like companies that won't give specifics about their products, make me think they are hiding something.

Dale

check out the virgin oil analysis or used oil analysis sections. Search for redline, click on the "in subject", then change the timeline to newer than 5 years

edit: redline 5w30 VOA http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2141562

edit #2: redline 10w40 VOA http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1539713

Last edited:
Same damage. Scary.

cam damage

Dale

cry.gif

Thanks anyway

Sorry, I'm bad. I did not look at your profile, DUH. I just assumed from your name you were from England.
Dale

no worries mate. You are correct..I am a Brit, just an expat living down here.
smirk.gif

Dale

check out the virgin oil analysis or used oil analysis sections. Search for redline, click on the "in subject", then change the timeline to newer than 5 years

edit: redline 5w30 VOA http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2141562

edit #2: redline 10w40 VOA http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1539713

That is good to know. So why won't these companies just come out and give that information on their web site instead of making you search the internet for it. I think I would fire my advertising officer because they are losing sales because of it.
smile.gif

Dale

I wouldn't touch ZDDP-plus, too concentrated, something on the order of 20,000ppm I believe and too much ZDDP can be harmful.

GM E.O.S. on the other hand is around 6000ppm with lots of Calcium, and other buffers, its been around long time. It will safely boost ZDDP levels without going overboard.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
I wouldn't touch ZDDP-plus, too concentrated, something on the order of 20,000ppm I believe and too much ZDDP can be harmful.

GM E.O.S. on the other hand is around 6000ppm with lots of Calcium, and other buffers, its been around long time. It will safely boost ZDDP levels without going overboard.

Just put less in! zddpmaxx comes in 50ml bottles I think(zddplus 100ml). I put half a bottle in to 4 litres.
I'd rather choose a product that has just zddp and not extra additives that you don't know what effect they will have.

Last edited:
My engine builder for the Charger said, at first, to use Penn 10W40. Now that he's tried it and torn engines back down he recommends JoeGibbs Hot Rod oil 15W50 for the beast. The one thing that stood out immediately, is no matter how long engine sits there is NO tappet ticking on start-up. I use the same Royal Purple oil filters.
oldhp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back