Oil Recommendation for 06 BMW 330ci E46

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

A young buddy of mine just got his first BMW a 2006 330ci (E46) in great shape with 103,000 miles. He wants to change his own oil and is looking for a good oil recommendation. I am by no means an expert but my thought was that Motul 8100 Xcess in 5w-40 might be a good way to go. He lives in North Carolina and most of his driving is between his house and the hospital as he just began an emergency medicine residency.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

There are various xw40 Euro oils available such as Pennzoil platiumun Euro, Super Tech Euro, Mobil 1 Euro as well as others. For me, I would look for the best deal and/ or mail in rebate.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
It probably uses LL-01, so any LL-01 rated oil will be fine
smile.gif

Certainly nothing wrong with the Motul, but anything that meets the standard will work with no problems

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
It probably uses LL-01, so any LL-01 rated oil will be fine
smile.gif

Certainly nothing wrong with the Motul, but anything that meets the standard will work with no problems

Exactly.

Castrol 0w40 is readily available at Wally's for good pricing and is as good or better as anything else you'll find for that vehicle. Mobil 1 0w40 is also at Wally's, it no longer carries BMW LL-01 but I just looked the other day, it still carries MB 229.5 which is a tough spec very similar to the LL-01. For a vehicle out of warranty I'd not be concerned about it as an option either.

If you have an easy source for boutique stuff like Motul no issues, there are a lot of good oils available.

Make sure you hound him to change his oil every year at the latest. MD's in training are notorious procrastinators when it comes to anything outside of practicing medicine.

Yep Edge 0w40 would be my choice for ease of availability and cost

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SureshR
There's also Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 if you can find it. Good stuff compared to the Motul or the Edge.

Shell Helix brand oils are not available in the US except for gray market importers. It would not be price competitive with Castrol 0W-40 which is easily available and carries nearly the same specifications and approvals.

Originally Posted by pruettfan
Hello,

A young buddy of mine just got his first BMW a 2006 330ci (E46) in great shape with 103,000 miles. He wants to change his own oil and is looking for a good oil recommendation. I am by no means an expert but my thought was that Motul 8100 Xcess in 5w-40 might be a good way to go. He lives in North Carolina and most of his driving is between his house and the hospital as he just began an emergency medicine residency.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Castrol 0W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back