oil for tired 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys just trying to find the right oil for a 92 gmc jimmy 4.3 170000 miles been neglegted most of its life pretty tired just wondering what oil would be good for this engine were approaching winter i have some napa 1030 synthetic would this oil be okay for a 3000 mile change

JC Napa turns in some pretty good results here, do you currently run syn in it? 3k change on a syn is definitly a short OCI for that kind of oil. Some reccomendations would also be Pennzoil, or Valvoline Max Life HM 5w, or 10w30 oils for your engine.

this truck went over 7 years and 58000 miles on an oil change who knows before that has taken 3 oil changes to get it somewhat clear looking

Originally Posted By: jc1990
this truck went over 7 years and 58000 miles on an oil change who knows before that has taken 3 oil changes to get it somewhat clear looking

Wow!! poor engine.....The NAPA Syn should do fine for you, just be aware that if you Presently have any leaks at all, going to a full syn will "aggravate" those, not Cause them, but it can aggravate them some.

I would just stick with a dino 10-30, for future purchases. Waste of a Syn imo. Those motors are pretty stout, can take a lot of neglect.

Originally Posted By: defektes
I would just stick with a dino 10-30, for future purchases. Waste of a Syn imo. Those motors are pretty stout, can take a lot of neglect.

I'm thinking along those same lines.

I would run 20% MMO in the engine for the next few OCI's.

I would also run some Techron, Redline or Amsoil in the gas.

This will clean it out & wake it up.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I would run 20% MMO in the engine for the next few OCI's.

I would also run some Techron, Redline or Amsoil in the gas.

This will clean it out & wake it up.
thumbsup2.gif

+1 to this suggestion.

I agree. Id run rotella 10w-30 in there, and change the oil filter often if doing as mentioned above.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I agree. Id run rotella 10w-30 in there, and change the oil filter often if doing as mentioned above.

+1 that sounds like a good choice to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back