Oil for 21 wrx

Oil grade is 5w30 is there a certain oil that is better in these than others. I typically run amsoil in everything. Is amsoil still a top choice in the boxer engine? Which amsoil would you recommend?

Last edited:
Amsoil is a good choice but pricey, and realistically (assuming the car is stock or just bolt-ons/tuned) you'll have the same results with Mobil 1 with the benefit of saving some coin.

AMSOIL SS is fuel economy oil. I'd run something in their Euro lineup if it was my car. If you want something off the shelf, Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30, Castrol EDGE Euro 5W-30/5W-40, Quaker State Euro 5W-40, Mobil 1 FS 5W-30/0W-40/5W-40, or if you want to spend a bit more, get Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. All good choices. I just wouldn't run fuel economy oil in a Turbo Charged engine meant to be driven ... not quite hard, but at least spirited.

Last edited:
I'll never understand why.
Because many WRX owners think that you have to use an HDEO to get a more robust oil than a resource conserving one.

Any high SAPS oil is not a good choice in a Subaru DIT though. If you want to run Amsoil I’d go with 5W-30 European. Something that meets or is recommended for ACEA C3 will be reduced SAPS and will have a higher HTHS than a resource conserving oil.

Because many WRX owners think that you have to use an HDEO to get a more robust oil than a resource conserving one.

Any high SAPS oil is not a good choice in a Subaru DIT though. If you want to run Amsoil I’d go with 5W-30 European. Something that meets or is recommended for ACEA C3 will be reduced SAPS and will have a higher HTHS than a resource conserving oil.
As you point out, there are better choices. And there are even dual-rated HDEOs, though Rotella hasn't been one of them for a long time now, unless you count T6 5W-30. There is M1 5W-40 TD oil, which is rebranded Delvac, and there are a few good Delvac choices out there, amongst others. Sounds to me like these many WRX owners just don't want to do the research, instead using what everyone else uses in the community. The problem with that is modern gasoline engines are built cheaper and cheaper, and that means lots more polymers and seals that something like Rotella T6 doesn't account for, because it doesn't have to.

Went with the 5w30 euro from amsoil

In the EJ engine era, thick oil was thought to be helpful to prevent rod bearing failure, which was fairly common. The EJ had small journal bearings, and most cars were not equipped with an oil cooler.

The newer FA series engines have much larger bearings, as well as oil coolers and larger sumps. An API 5W-30 should be plenty thick enough if the car isn't tracked. The oil temperature gauge will help you decide whether a thicker grade is warranted (maybe if oil temperature gets above 110-115°C).

LSPI is a killer of these engines, so using a high-calcium oil or one that doesn't meet standards that include LSPI tests is asking for trouble. I'd stick with an oil that meets API SP & Dexos1 Gen3, or if going euro, ACEA C3 & MB 229.52.

I think it's misleading to imply that it's going to give him some magically different results than the top options from the majors would.
Well that's the point.

People say that ALL the time, almost if not every thread with the word Amsoil. But almost never with HPL. It seems so very odd. Or normal.

I have nothing against HPL, but everything for balance.

Well that's the point.

People say that ALL the time, almost if not every thread with the word Amsoil. But almost never with HPL. It seems so very odd. Or normal.

I have nothing against HPL, but everything for balance.
I agree, but I also personally feel that HPL raises the bar further.

The reason why HPL has such a rabid following here is because they've done a great job at engaging this user base. People here often already overthink these things, and then a company comes in and actually indulges what the people want (whether they really need it or not) like with the No VII offering, and it feeds the cycle and keeps people coming back for more.

The open house tours and Dave's regular interaction here also go a long way. They're the only company, to my knowledge, that has ever let the BITOG community into their facility like that, and while I don't use HPL products, I think it's insanely cool that they've done that.

Long story short, HPL has marketed themselves as the most "passionate" engine oil brand here. Sort of, "by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts".

Back