Oil for 1998 Saturn SC2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

What is an adequate oil for a 1998 Saturn SC2?

Car has:
about 160,000 miles on it
Uses maybe 2 cups oil per 3000 mile change interval
Manual Trans (occasionally floored to near red line in 3rd or 4th gear)
Summer highway mpg:36+ at 75mph

Given the engine was designed and manufactured back when there was Zinc and Phosphorus in engine oil, what oil should be used in it today?

My concern is the timing chain and valves.
My thinking is it’s easier to pour money in the oil than to tear down the engine of a daily driver. I don’t want to get crazy on the oil, but I want one that protects.

Currently using Valvoline Semi-Synthetic Motor Oil and adding ~30cc of ZDD Plus (phosphorous, sulfur and zinc)<I don't want to add this if it not necessary, since it can affect the catalytic converter.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Use maxlife and call it a day.

+1
welcome2.gif

Thanks for the welcome! I've been over at SatFans finally figuring out what BITOG was!

So, regular Penzoil Yellow Bottle will work well.
Current oils work as well as oil did in '98?

Yes 10W30 in the hot month(s) (this is Michigan)

Not sure I want Maxlife just yet. - Seals don’t appear to need conditioning yet.
The other properties look good.
MaxLife's approach to maximize engine life:
Special seal conditioners rejuvenate seals within the engine block to help prevent oil leaks that lead to sludge and deposits
Anti-oxidant additives reduce oil viscosity breakdown to help prevent engine-clogging sludge and deposit formation
Detergents chemically bond with and remove existing sludge and deposits
Additional friction-reducing additives help reduce abrasion within engine
Anti-wear agents help prevent engine damage

Any oils like Maxlife without seal (swell) conditioner?

Before I learned there wasn’t zinc and phosphorous in the oil anymore, I used whatever name brand was cheaper...with no problems.

Originally Posted By: bumpdraft
Thanks for the welcome! I've been over at SatFans finally figuring out what BITOG was!

Not sure I want Maxlife just yet. - Seals don’t appear to need conditioning yet.
Special seal conditioners rejuvenate seals within the engine block to help prevent oil leaks that lead to sludge and deposits
Anti-oxidant additives reduce oil viscosity breakdown to help prevent engine-clogging sludge and deposit formation

Before I learned there wasn’t zinc and phosphorous in the oil anymore, I used whatever name brand was cheaper...with no problems.

I don't know the deep specifics of that engine, but my 98 buick, 99 grand prix, GF's 98 protege (DOHC 1.5L) seem fine with current oils. Currently using Pennzoil in all 3 of them. The Protege just got changed today from Pennz High Mileage to Pennz syn blend (because it was free).

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Originally Posted By: bumpdraft

I don't know the deep specifics of that engine, but my 98 buick, 99 grand prix, GF's 98 protege (DOHC 1.5L) seem fine with current oils. Currently using Pennzoil in all 3 of them. The Protege just got changed today from Pennz High Mileage to Pennz syn blend (because it was free).

From what I know, the valve train and such were redesigned for the 1999 model year. I believe the reason was the Zn and P were to be removed from oil.

From what I read, the problem with the Sat engine is the lack of oil drain back holes at the piston oil ring. The oil cooks and then the rings stick. So far, I haven't had this problem.

I'd like to use an inexpensive oil and change it more often. Pennz sounds good.

I LOVE the 'knowledge' that shows up on this board:

"Given the engine was designed and manufactured back when there was Zinc and Phosphorus in engine oil, what oil should be used in it today?"

There is STILL ZN & P in engine oil, it's just limited slightly lower than it used to be.

Geeeeeze.........

Originally Posted By: addyguy

"Given the engine was designed and manufactured back when there was Zinc and Phosphorus in engine oil, what oil should be used in it today?"

There is STILL ZN & P in engine oil, it's just limited slightly lower than it used to be.

Geeeeeze.........

I was just about to say just that.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Geeeeeze.........

Oil forum faux pas!
21.gif

55.gif
I did not know that it was still in there and thought I'd read otherwise.
That's what I needed to know. Thanks for the info!

My 99 SL2 is running well with 115k
I ran Valvoline synpower in if for years, its been having some rear main seal leakage so I am running Mobil 1 High mileage 10w30.
Maxlife would also be a good choice.
Why are you shying away from a high mileage oil?
It would probably be the best thing for your car considering the miles. Maxlife is a synthetic blend and is reasonably priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back