Oil Filter for Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready for my first OC on our 2011 Equinox and trying to decide on an oil filter. I like the Purolator PureOne and the Fram Tough Guard filter because they're 99% efficient. Does anyone know the efficiency of the OE AC Delco filter?

I use Wix on my 06 silverado with a UOA pending. I would bet any of the above you mentioned would hold up very good.

I think fram makes a filter called "extened guard" if you wish to run a long drain interval.

Good luck, and stand by the experts will weight in on this.

i would not run a fram!!
you can never go wrong with a purolator, mobil, or bosch.
the ac delco is hit or miss depending on the part number, just make sure its not an e-core if your using a spin-on filter

PureONE is advertized as 99.9% multipass efficiency at 20 microns for their sample PL30001 filter. And it appears to use the same media as almost all their others ones. (But some of the boxes say 99.9% MP at 40 microns particle size.)

The Fram TG is 99% efficient at some unspecified particle size greater than 20 microns. I don't remember if that number is multipass, or single pass efficiency. But in my opinion it doesn't matter anyway because we don't know for sure the particle size range tested for the 99% rating.

AC Delco website says, "•98% single-pass filtering efficiency at 25 to 30 microns for excellent filtering capabilities"
So that would probably translate into approximately 96% at that particle size range for a multi-pass test.

Pure One is a good choice, Wix/Napa Gold is a good choice, Fram EXTENDED Guard is a good choice (put Extended in caps as a point of emphasis). As far as A/C Delco, I can't really tell you much about that, but for my application, (2.2L '98 Chevy Cavalier) I used P1 for pretty much the majority of the 331,000 miles that's on it and it still runs very smooth 'til this very day.

I would rate WIX/NAPA Gold/CarQuest blue, Purolator PureONE or Classic, Bosch Distance Plus or regular Premium, or probably K&N or Mobil 1 filters all good, and Fram XG too. Not in any particular order here. Also I like the Baldwin Hastings types.

The only filters I don't usually run myself that I can think of are the lower end Frams (usually...but I have one on the VW now) and the Ecore designed ones.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I would rate WIX/NAPA Gold/CarQuest blue, Purolator PureONE or Classic, Bosch Distance Plus or regular Premium, or probably K&N or Mobil 1 filters all good, and Fram XG too. Not in any particular order here. Also I like the Baldwin Hastings types.

The only filters I don't usually run myself that I can think of are the lower end Frams (usually...but I have one on the VW now) and the Ecore designed ones.

I agree...

Since that is a cartridge and not a spin most of the quality issues of a spin on is moot point. If it were my car I would use a TG, or a P1, Bosch, anything but low end. Post how the oil change goes as I am looking at purchaseing an equinox and am very curious. Thanks

Be careful you don't shower yourself with oil from the filter, or sling oil from the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: Radman
Since that is a cartridge and not a spin most of the quality issues of a spin on is moot point. If it were my car I would use a TG, or a P1, Bosch, anything but low end. Post how the oil change goes as I am looking at purchaseing an equinox and am very curious. Thanks

it depends.. the 4 cyl is a cartridge but the 6 is a spin on.
i guess we need to know which one it is

If it is the same cartridge as the ecotec in my Saab, beware that the P1 does not come with a gasket. The Bosch does.

I run I believe mahle or Hengst. This is the OE mfr for the AC and Saab filters, at least it uses to be... Both are high quality.

Replace the drain plug gasket sometimes too.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If it is the same cartridge as the ecotec in my Saab, beware that the P1 does not come with a gasket. The Bosch does.

You mean the filter-cap O-ring? If its the filter I think it is, the newer Pure Ones now include the O-ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back