Oil extraction tool, 2023 version?

Mine was a topsider. Had to be 30-45 minutes with hot oil, lots of pumping, no vacuum leaks.

I got some other small one that Inlike a lot but have never used it for oil changes. Just atf and psf.

Yeesh! I wouldn't be happy with that.

I can do a complete out and in of a 5er in under 15 minutes with a manual mityvac.

Pump it 20 times or so then walk away.

I'd like a pressure driven one that reverses, but Ive got too much stuff as it is.

I can do a complete out and in of a 5er in under 15 minutes with a manual mityvac.

I'd like a pressure driven one that reverses, but Ive got too much stuff as it is.
Yeah sounds like the mityvac unit is much better than the old topsider units were!!

Same, here. I pump the big Pela 15 times and walk away. Come back and articulate the tube to get residual oil out. Done.

Same, here. I pump the big Pela 15 times and walk away. Come back and articulate the tube to get residual oil out. Done.

The pela seems stout, the cheapies have UV and degradation issues.

There is another brand that has tube storage built in which is my only annoyance with the mityvac.

The pela seems stout, the cheapies have UV and degradation issues.

There is another brand that has tube storage built in which is my only annoyance with the mityvac.
Yes, this thang is built like a tank. Think it cost about $100 some years ago. Not cheap, but, seems durable.

Does anyone here have any experience with using a pneumatic operated extractor for oil changes as opposed to the manually pumped units? I'd think it would be much quicker due to increased continuous suction created by the venturi inducer.

1683066293552.jpg

Another access panel that requires another tool and another five minutes.

Maybe if I was retired or unemployed I wouldn’t care. In my case I enjoy the DIY but want to get in an do my thing. Not more items with more screws to finagle with.
10mm socket wrench a tool that most home auto mechanics have, and takes less than a minute to remove and install...

unlike the numerous T25 torx screws VW uses for their partial splash panel... and if a dealership services it.. it's inevitable that they will forget one or more screws

... Well, I love my MityVac. ... Suck out the pan then flip a switch to expel to your recycle container. ...
If you use CleanSump's (and my) $25 pump instead, you can pump from the engine directly into your recycle container, skipping the "expel" step.

Incidentally, your images don't show up for me.

10mm socket wrench a tool that most home auto mechanics have, and takes less than a minute to remove and install...

unlike the numerous T25 torx screws VW uses for their partial splash panel... and if a dealership services it.. it's inevitable that they will forget one or more screws
Newer Hondas have 2 types of fasteners on their belly pans. And I love Hondas... Toyota does it much better.

Yes, that’s what turned me off to belly pans - the umpteen Torx screws on my wife’s 08 Rabbit. Loved the car but it was just an extra minute or two that annoyed me.

That said, my old Mercedes cars have them, held on with four 8mm screws, and that too annoys me. I want to get draining, not held back!!!!

If you use CleanSump's (and my) $25 pump instead, you can pump from the engine directly into your recycle container, skipping the "expel" step.

Incidentally, your images don't show up for me.

That needs a battery though - I end up using an extractor on all kinds of devices that don't have them in remote locations.

I have the jumbo unit from HF.. Air powered vacuum. IIRC I paid about 130 with coupon
Oil extractors can work great but not on everything.
subaru esp. are TERRIBLE. you cant get the last 2qt out.

now on my deere 316 tractor it leaves at most 2-3oz.. ACCEPTABLE. and dont have to fiddle with the drain valve inside the frame rail.. that is a PITA.

My Jag F-Type has a tube under the oil filler cap. The MightyVac tube fits right over and seals. Oil comes out fast too. I tried to flush it by pouring in a fresh quart of oil in, letting it sit, and extracting that too. It came out clean. Although the car recommends 8 quarts of 0W-20, and 18,000 mile OCI's, I use M1 5W-30EP and 5000 mile OCI's. These engines do wear out crank main bearings and timing chains. A clear indication 0W-20 is not quite up to the task. Also, I've got a few mods and live in Hot n Sticky, South FL.

8i22A8X.jpg

P5hSdIq.jpg

Does anyone here have any experience with using a pneumatic operated extractor for oil changes as opposed to the manually pumped units? I'd think it would be much quicker due to increased continuous suction created by the venturi inducer.

View attachment 153851

Yes on the air operated. Mitivac unit. Use it multiple times a week. I don’t change tons of oil at my shop but it’s used for coolant, brake fluid, ps fluid, trans, oil etc many times.

Back