Oil Evacuation on VW 2T

At 83 it is getting painful to elevate the car and crawl around. I need to know how effective extractors are and will they empty the oil pan.
I welcome any hints,tips,and advice on the subject including the best equipment. I do appreciate quality tools but only have one car so it will only be used twice a year.
Thanks
Smoky

what is a vw 2t? (serious)

usually oil extractors work better on german and some american cars.. really depends on the dipstick tube shape and where it goes into the oil pan (and what angle)
subaru fb25 is terrible only get about half out.

Pontiac g6 2.4L? was great.. works good on my jd 316/318 tractors.

Do you want a manual powered or air compressor powered ?

just used mine on the jd316 yesterday.

1694528276853.jpeg

saves you from having to mess with this round stock valve that sticks and drains all over the front of the deck with mess. oh and oil drain pan doesnt fit between wheels
It leaves 1-2oz in the tractor.. which I'm fine with. Needlenose vice grips made it easier but not easy.. oil extractor is 5min of no fuss.
1694528372447.png

Last edited:
If you don't get the answer on here, it might be worth a call to a local VW dealer or three to see if they can provide any input.

Lots of posts on this topic, but I’ve had good luck using a MityVac 7201 on my Crossfires, Challengers and OPE. Also good for brake & power steering fluid. MB dealerships use fluid extractors.

It's been my experience that oil extraction works very well on my MB. I used to put the car up on ramps to allow access to the plastic cover under the car, which was a bit of extra work. It was then that I realized that the oil drain plug was at the rear of the oil pan, and that the dipstick went in around that same location from the top of course.
So I did an experiment and measured the amount of oil that came out from under the car. Then compared that to the amount of oil that came out using an extractor inserted in the dipstick. No difference!
I did put the front wheels on the ramps before using the extractor, but I may not even need to do that.

Oil filter is up on top too, so the whole process is really easy now.

Mityvac works great on everything I have except a Ford 4.6 V8. I would guess that it would work well on a 4cyl.

I’ve had a “Trac Outdoors” oil extractor for 6 years. 7 liter capacity and have used it for my Chevy 4L60E transmission and my wife’s Pontiac Solstice 2.0T Ecotec with a top side oil filter which makes an oil change quick and easy. Her Solstice is so low my floor jack wouldn’t go under the jacking points. Amazon reviews are mixed on this brand but mine has been great all this time.

Oil extractor is only method I use on my 3 VWs. I don't like to Origami myself under the car much anymore due to age and medical conditions. With the extractor, I can do a complete oil and filter change from above in my Brioni tux and not get mussed. Every car I use the extractor on I have opened the drainplug after and only some drips or nothing comes out. Been using an extractor for at least 30 years, and none of my engines have failed as a result ;).

And yes, I believe OP is referring to a 2.0 liter Turbocharged VW engine.

I'm guessing this is the 22 Passat?

The owners manual for out jetta says not to use oil extraction and a standard sample tube will not go down the dipstick tube, no idea if this is the same on your Passat but check into it, you might be able to get a length of brass or AL tubing to go down the dipstick tube,

Assuming the filter is on the top, its on the front of a 1.4T and extraction wouldn't save you much if anything...

At 83 it is getting painful to elevate the car and crawl around. I need to know how effective extractors are and will they empty the oil pan.
I welcome any hints,tips,and advice on the subject including the best equipment. I do appreciate quality tools but only have one car so it will only be used twice a year.
Thanks
Smoky
I have gotten a lot of use out of my Pela 6000 oil extractor and the way many VW are setup makes oil change a breeze.
I put the tube down the dipstick tube and if it seems to hit any resistance a quick twisting left and right will help it advance down into the sump. The trick is to get it near the area where to drain plug is and you’ll be able to get that sorted pretty easily.
First get the tube in as far as possible and pump it several times to make the oil begin to flow. Warm oil makes it easier. Once it begins to flow I turn to replacing the filter and O ring for the canister. Once that all done recheck the vacuum and pump up again.
Tip: once you find a good depth to suction the greatest amount of oil mark the suction hose with tape to mark it in relation to the dipstick tube.
Keep in mind that it is possible to put it too far into the oil pan and actually suck the hose against the side of the oil pan slowing or stopping the flow all together.
On the extractors there is usually marks indicating the amount of oil retrieved giving you an idea of how much oil is left in the pan.

Thanks
Smoky
I've used an "Oil boy" that I also used on my boat (that I had at one time), and got one off of Amazon (Can't remember the brand) that worked fine on my Tiguan 2.0T.

The downside of oil extraction is, you're not underneath to do a quick visual inspection of the suspension and steering system

My son has a 2020 GTI 2.0 turbo and my wifes former car was a 2021 Audi Q3 with the 2.0 turbo. My Mityvac extractor works perfect for the VW 2.0 engine. Just make sure you extract with a hot engine. If the oil is cold it will take a very long time to extract. Hot oil goes very quickly

Don

Check out Pela extractors.

Side note my local Mercedes dealership only did topside oil changes using extraction - it works just as well as draining from the bottom but with less hassle. If the VW gassers with cartridge filters are like my old TDI also stick the suction tube down into the holes and crevices where the oil filter sits to get a little bit more out after you drain the sump. Also if the oil filter housing is in a convenient and upright spot it is also a good spot to refill with the new oil - at least on TDI it just ran back to the sump, not sure if gassers are same but would test it first to make sure it drains down.

Just changed the oil on the toro snowblower with the oil extractor today while cleaning out the garage.
just for photo I pulled the drain plug and tipped it back to see how much was left.... a dribble.
sump is around 20oz. Probably wont ever pull the plug again.
60s with the oil extractor to remove 95%.. win.

in went valvoline vr1 syn 10w30 I had laying there. garage never gets below 15-20f. much more likely to be near freezing or above.
before the Oil change
I removed the old gas, filled it with VP racing fuel (2 cans rusting out??) and 1 oz of mechanic in a bottle and let it run in the driveway for 10min.

Now all ready for winter.. should push the snow back at least 2 weeks eh.

1694565826130.png

Nope, not on a 1.4t it won't (you should look at the whole sentence and not pick and choose your quote) because you are still getting on the ground to change it on a 1.4t.

Hopefully for OP the 2.0 is on top.

Yes, it won't save YOU anything due to filter location. But for OP with a 22 Passat 2.0 (EA888B "Budack" engine), it's moot because the filter IS on top. Thats what I was referring to as saving your lower back muscles by not having to necessarily get under the car. Good golly.

I have a couple different extractors and they work ok. I also have a lift and the extractors are rarely used. Just a preference thing. Gives me a chance to do an undercar inspection while the oil drains. The extractors do work on the 2.0L Turbo VW's as my daughter has a Tiguan and my buddy has a Beetle with this engine. 2016 and 2012 respectively. Not sure on your vehicle. My two 2015 VW Golfs are 2.0L turbo diesels and the extractor works but you need to get underneath for the filter so it makes no sense to use.

Thanks
Smoky
They work really well and regardless of what the naysayers say it doe get the oil out of the pan. However, depending on the flexibility of the extraction tube there's a trick to hitting the bottom of the pan. It just takes a little finesse, but not a big deal.

Back