Oil concoction/multiple brands at once

My Mercedes takes 8.5 quarts of oil. I usually buy two 5 quart jugs, leaving 1.5 quarts remaining.
I have:
1.5 quarts M1 5w40
3 quarts PPE 0w40
1.5 quarts valvoline euro 5w40
3 quarts castrol 0w40.

What do you think will happen if I pour it all together? Biturbo direct injection engine.

If the various oils used don't meet spec....the spec ain't met.
If the oils used meet spec....the spec's met.
The question, "Do the oils used meet spec?" would've been a better response on my part.
They're all MB 229.5 approved.

The DOJ will be at your house or place of work to take you into custody for trying to destroy the planet! Be careful.
Yet - nothing will happen to your car. Not a thing. Just dont make a habit of mixing oils because they all have different add
packs that may not work well together long term.

Assuming it's an AMG you should probably fill it with the same oil. Probably nothing would happen, but out of respect and principle it deserves better.

I'll mix oils to use up partials but it's not my favorite thing to do. I didn't mind it when I was young (think 1989 in cars made in the 70's) but one of the reasons I quit chasing clearance oils was because it seemed like my average on a score was 2 quarts.

I joined here and one nugget I gleaned early from knowledgeable people was that mixing different oils meant I was mixing add packs, and that while you can, you probably shouldn't.

Probably shouldn't is good enough for me.

Now my stash encompasses aisle 34 in the Tega Cay or Newport walworld.

But the garage stash does now have 3 random quarts of Mobil 5-30. I'll probably end up mixing those in with 5 quarts of my usual Pennzoil, made from the Lords gas, so it'll be 3 straight changes of a mix. Unless I just do 1 50/50 mix, but it's so much more convenient to do a 5qt jug and a loose quart. I'm lazy, after all.

My Mercedes takes 8.5 quarts of oil. I usually buy two 5 quart jugs, leaving 1.5 quarts remaining.
I have:
1.5 quarts M1 5w40
3 quarts PPE 0w40
1.5 quarts valvoline euro 5w40
3 quarts castrol 0w40.

What do you think will happen if I pour it all together? Biturbo direct injection engine.
If each of those oils meets your engine’s recommended certifications, you’re likely fine. There will be some tribological layer destruction/reconstruction, but that happens with every time you change oil brands. Do a before & after UOA to see if anything changes significantly…

Your engine will explode!!! Joking aside I would personally use them for sure. While I have not mixed M1 0W 40 and Castrol 5W 40 during my oil change for my old Porsche 987 but refill, when needed, with either one or whatever is open. For my wife's Acura MDX, I "mixed" PP 0w 20 with Castrol 10W 30 and M1 0W 40 (to get rid of leftovers) and gained 500HP.....

My old 2012 ford transit Connect made it to 220,000 miles living on a frankenbrew of leftover oil from my Audis and VW. As long as all the oils meet spec it won’t hurt anything.
Agree!!!
I had multiple engines go to junkyards in great shape, despite a badly rusted body after 20 years of road salt.
All I ever done since the 80s is make frankenblends and even after 270k, these engines were purchased at junkyards and went on to give more yearly road service to the new purchaser.

As long as the oils listed by OP meet his Mercedes Manual specs, he's good-to-go.

Back