Oil Brands - Thoughts from an avg consumer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom can care less about oil, my dad has been insistent on Castrol in the past and almost lost it when a mechanic poured Pennzoil Multi-Vis 20W-50 into a Mercedes they had in the past.

The most recent oil change I did for them was ServicePro 5W-30. I said to my dad it was approved by GM and made by the same company who holds contracts with Wal-Mart, AutoZone and most of the parts store chains. He said, OK as long as the car still runs good.

For me, I use any major brand but for friends who want cheap and good, I'll pour SuperTech and not flinch.

I worked for a small indy for awhile outta high school. I dont think anyone every even asked what brand oil we had. Just change oil, filter, and grease it up.

One guy had a couple of Supra's and he always brought his own oil and filter. I dont recall what it was, probably Valvoline.

I'd ask my wife, but she couldnt care less. Her dad would probably say "pick a name brand and call it good"

Most around here just go to a local quick lube. No brand name oil, just what ever they have and get it changed.

As stated above, they just know to change it because the vehicle it telling them to, it is a way to get that annoying light/message off the dash.

I have a select group I change oil for, mainly the elderly from church. I use what I get on clearance. This last bunch of Havoline ProDs I got for $1 a qt and got four cases of it. So that is what I'm using now. I also got a 2 cases of Pennzoil conventional for $50 a qt. Some get once a year oil changes since they only put 5k on their car a year. Others come in when their OLM tells them it is time which is about 3 times a year.

Almost all the people I work with do not care. They take it to their mechanic/garage/dealer and just get an oil change. They do not care about brand or weights. Same with tires, except they usually want the least expensive. Sailum seems to what one of the local indy is installing. Brake pads, rotors, the average person I know does not care. Only the very few that do their own repairs pick what they like.

I would bet when properly maintained using any quality oil with the proper specs will allow engine life to out last the ownership.

use the type on the oil filler cap. Don't buy dollar store / no name gas station oil. Anything you buy at WaMart etc will protect the engine. The #1 rule is to keep oil between the lines on the dip stick. The rest is up to you. As long as the oil level is maintained. It doesn't really matter what brand it is. I serviced my work truck at several Valvoline franchises. The staff follows an established flow chart and sounds off and shows clear looking oil. Yada X 3. But hey, checking off as stuff as you go, helps idiot proof the oil change experience.

I have owned vehicles since the mid 70's and have used regular conventional oil, changed at about 5k and have had zero issues. My dad was kind of brand loyal to Valvoline, but would use Cenex if valvoline was unavailable. I have had no issues with regular TSC or NAPA oil and have ran several vehicles past the 300K mark. As long as that starburst is there, one really cannot go wrong. Millions of vehicles on the road with well past 200 to 300K on the odometer using nothing but regular oil. TSC Travelers conventional oil in the sump of all 3 of my vehicles right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back