Oil and filter for generator...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm about to enjoy another hurricane / northeaster, how about a discussion on the best oil / filter for a generator...?

I use two oils,
First, Castrol Edge 0W-30. Used for storage, and odd short runs, but at $10 a quart it's too expensive for everyday use...
The 0W- means I can start it in cold weather easily...

Second, Shell Rotella T5, 10W-30. For long runs, 200 hours is usually when I change it.
Good inexpensive semi synthetic...

Filter, I use the long versions, Fram 3600 / Purolator 20195...
Standard is inch and a half long, the 3600 is nearly five...
Usually Purolator PureOne for storage, and an e-core for long runs, AutoZone STP (blue)....

Anyone else?

Last edited:
Our old Coleman (probably late 80s, early 90s) gets whatever 10W-30, 5W-30 is around the shop and has been run up to two weeks straight (few hours in the morning and 7-8 hours after work)... oil changes (no filter), whenever is convenient. Though we changed the oil once in that two week stint.

What does the manual recommend? Your unit is pressurized lubrication by the use of a filter. Your probably good to go IMO.

Rotella T6 for the whole thing. Running and storage. 100 hour changes. 3600 filter is good
smile.gif

I have Valvoline Vr1 racing synthetic 10w30. Works well in winter or summer. I just "happeded to have a Qt in my stash when the break in oil needed changing ( 10w30 T5) I like it better. I also ahave a bit ( ~1oz) of LiquiMoly in there. Start easy 2 yo gas with some top oil.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
You thank Matt's gonna make it all the way to Va with some punch?

The forecasts indicate that it will hit some parts (SE) of the state with some force.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Rotella T6 for the whole thing. Running and storage. 100 hour changes. 3600 filter is good
smile.gif

This. T6 or SAE30.

I have Valvoline Vr1 racing synthetic 10w30. Works well in winter or summer. I just "happeded to have a Qt in my stash when the break in oil needed changing ( 10w30 T5) I like it better. I also ahave a bit ( ~1oz) of LiquiMoly in there. Start easy 2 yo gas with some top oil.

Moly in a generator = sludge.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Your unit is pressurized lubrication by the use of a filter. Your probably good to go IMO.

What unit does he have? I didn't see him say what generator he was running. Just because it has an oil filter does not mean that it has pressurized lubrication. Plenty of power equipment out there with oil filters that are splash lubricated.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: bioburner
Your unit is pressurized lubrication by the use of a filter. Your probably good to go IMO.

What unit does he have? I didn't see him say what generator he was running. Just because it has an oil filter does not mean that it has pressurized lubrication. Plenty of power equipment out there with oil filters that are splash lubricated.

That's correct. All the oil pump does is pumps oil through the oil filter. The engine is splash lubed. Most are that way that has an oil filter.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Moly in a generator = sludge.
I had some left over from trying it in my Honda fit. That didn't work out - and I only put in 1/3 of the bottle! So I only put one oz in there which is prob <200mg solid powder. I let you know how much "sludge " I see if I change the oil next year. The oil only has 3 years maybe 30 hours on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back