Ohlins Front fork Fluid data? (VI, CST@100 etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DOes anyone have the data for the ohlins 5.10.15.20WT fork fluid data?

the CST@40 alone is useless for me to determine the right range for my bike which use damper rods and operates at 20-30 degreees range.

Thanks in advance if anyone can spare me some data ^^

Whenever I rebuilt bike forks I always used ATF. I found it to work perfect on the dirt & street. I liked it better than the actually weighted fork oils.

my front end is modded and it needs oil that performs consistently in a quite wide range of temps ,

hence the need for VI > 200 oils ...

thats why i need the data ...

sometimes i wish everyone supplies data like amsoil does...

Last edited:
the only "fork" oil that i have tested was golden spectro 85/150 that was used in my shock for 35 hrs.
what was most interesting was the amount of iron due to the shims rubbing in the uoa. also the alum (shock body) copper (seal head).

i think i either have enzo 1 or racetech usa 1 in it right now. can't remember.

i have also used Mobil 1 ATF in my forks at times. you need to revalve accordingly.

Originally Posted By: Qwiky
Ohlins can't tell you?

I emailed them, still waiting for their reply.

I can make do with a CST@100 degrees C thou.

Last edited:
After years of playing with dirt bike suspension, the key element is not oil viscosity. Yes, years ago, when forks and shocks had calibrated orifices, the viscosity mattered greatly.

But, today, with spring shim stacks, performance is dictated more by the shims involved. (with the disclaimer that the orifice size is sufficient) This provides consistent performance over a wide range of conditions and temperatures. Including compensating very well for internal wear.

Not long ago, I put 90W-140 gear oil into a shock, in an attempt to stiffen it up, as a "last ditch" effort. Not surprising that it made little difference. It worked well enough, and the rider finished the race with the same "underdamped" complaint.

I had Jeremy Wilkey send me a piston and shim "setup" for my Husqvarna 360 Showa shock. After a short discussion, he admitted that he has used Mobil 1 ATF in these shocks with good results. So I did. And it worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
After years of playing with dirt bike suspension, the key element is not oil viscosity. Yes, years ago, when forks and shocks had calibrated orifices, the viscosity mattered greatly.

But, today, with spring shim stacks, performance is dictated more by the shims involved. (with the disclaimer that the orifice size is sufficient) This provides consistent performance over a wide range of conditions and temperatures. Including compensating very well for internal wear.

Not long ago, I put 90W-140 gear oil into a shock, in an attempt to stiffen it up, as a "last ditch" effort. Not surprising that it made little difference. It worked well enough, and the rider finished the race with the same "underdamped" complaint.

I had Jeremy Wilkey send me a piston and shim "setup" for my Husqvarna 360 Showa shock. After a short discussion, he admitted that he has used Mobil 1 ATF in these shocks with good results. So I did. And it worked perfectly.

Im still on damping rods...

Oil Vis matters quite alot more to me (im a poor b*stard )

FML.

If i had the cash, i would just buy a new bike and run down to the ohlins center and have it serviced...

Originally Posted By: WANG
Are you using cartridge emulators, or are you just brazing and drilling?

Drilled new holes and sealed the stock ones.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'm curious, what oils have you tried and why don't you like them? Forks are generally easy to service and tune.

Originally Posted By: WANG
Are you using cartridge emulators, or are you just brazing and drilling?

ight now its on IP F.A 20W and it has softened up alot...

So its either the springs or oil (6000miles, 1.5 yrs of riding)

I dont really get much compression damping when using the brakes (too soft?) now...

but could be the weather too, its hot as [censored] 35 degrees now here in my woods when the softness feeling sets in.

Bummer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back