Odd Foreign Objects in your tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Traction
Almost 75% of the time it is the right rear tire. Most of the debris is near the edge of the road, and the right front tire stands it up, and the RR tire snags it!

From what I recall only two incidents and one was the right rear. On the hwy ran over one of those short rubber straps with two hooks on the end. I think they hold down tarps on trucks. Anyway, one of hooks pierced through the tire and started clanking around in the wheel well. I was right by exit and pulled over. Had to put the spare on. Went to one of those tire shops in the inner city who put a used tire on.

The first tire I selected was a Mastercraft. As he was inflating it the tire exploded. Time to pack another one out. Found a Turanza then put a new set on not longer after.

Then shortly after installing the Hankooks I had a flat from what turned out to be a HARD piece of plastic. The tire guy said first time he's seen that. I think that was from the left rear, def a rear tire. I think it was from the mailboxes being hit by the snow plow where I live, (townhouse type place).

Went to move my wife's 2012 Camry this morning, and noticed the tire pressure light was on. Checked all of the tires, and of course it was the right rear tire 15lbs low! So I proceeded to repair it to RMA standards. The 2 1/2in nail was at way more the maximum angle of 20 degrees for a 1 piece combination mushroom patch, requiring a 2 piece repair. So I had to drill it with a 1/4in carbide reamer at the correct angle, which can be tough. Then I applied the pre-cleaner and scrapped the repair area. With a little glue for lube I pulled the stem/plug. Then I buffed the patch area, and vacuumed up the dust. Applied the glue, let it set, and stitched on the patch. Although no picture I did the final step of brushing on repair sealer on the over-buffed areas, and edges of the patch. Most tire shops skip that required step BTW. That's the way it's suppose to be done, but doesn't always work out that way. Especially when you go to open up the hole, miss the angle, and end up with 2 holes, etc. The tire is a 215/55-17V Cooper CS5. It would be next to impossible to simply plug a tire from that angle, especially it was a 2 inch deck screw with the head worn off!

Last edited:
Mine turned out to be not repairable.

The spark plug had badly bruised the inside of the tire from wacking around
(driving on it while sticking out an inch from tire) for 300ft? or so.

I had them move the fullsize spare to that wheel.

Most likely I'll step up to a slightly more aggressive, mountain snowflake rated, one size bigger tire in a few weeks.

Hankook for example maybe having $260 off the last couple days of august if their current rebate overlaps the upcoming labor day/fall sale.(not sure yet if they overlap)

Not super interested in the hankook although their AT tire is fairly well liked.

I missed my winter tires last winter... so also considering keeping these as 3 season tires
buying 4 winter tires/wheels and a used tire for the spare.

I'll waffle back and forth until I see the upcoming deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back