Octane, Ethanol, and Dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Originally Posted By: Eddie
I agree with SUBYRUBYROO THAT fuel dilution in most cases is overblown because, the wear values are usually low or in-line with non DI engines. A teas-spoon of gasoline in a gallon of oil smells like 50% fuel due to the aromatics in gasoline. I guess BITOGers need something to champion. Ed

+1

It doesn't take much fuel in the oil to smell it and unfortunately, I think people here tend to say "it's diluting like crazy" if they can smell it at all. My small displacement DI car will have a fuel smell in the oil in relatively short order but it doesn't get worse over a 5K OCI. No issues in five years of having the car. I think it just comes with the territory.

Thanks for putting scientific reason to this. I too check by smell but I’m used to oil not smelling like gasoline. A gas chromatography test for fuel dilution would be the ideal test rather than the nose.

Also, I have noticed as well that uoa’s done on severely fuel diluted fuel samples have shown low wear rates. The only thing I might question is a long term effect of FD as I don’t know of any members here with 100k plus miles showing high FD all along the way.

Yeah, I'm not putting any empiricism to it other than it seems to be reactive, knee-jerk comments on here if people smell gas in their oil. That's not to say that there's no such thing as fuel dilution...but like you say, severely diluted fuel and wear rates over x period would be interesting. I have always changed my oil at 5K miles so my bet is that it won't make much of difference in the 125K-150K miles I typically keep a car...if ever.

I know two people who are approaching 200K miles on their DI vehicles and neither is either aware of ( or has yet experienced problems with ) fuel dilution...not much of a sample, but it still might indicate that it's more of an issue on here than it is to the reality over x amount of miles with good routine maintenance.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Eddie
I agree with SUBYRUBYROO THAT fuel dilution in most cases is overblown because, the wear values are usually low or in-line with non DI engines. A teas-spoon of gasoline in a gallon of oil smells like 50% fuel due to the aromatics in gasoline. I guess BITOGers need something to champion. Ed

+1

It doesn't take much fuel in the oil to smell it and unfortunately, I think people here tend to say "it's diluting like crazy" if they can smell it at all. My small displacement DI car will have a fuel smell in the oil in relatively short order but it doesn't get worse over a 5K OCI. No issues in five years of having the car. I think it just comes with the territory.

Thanks for putting scientific reason to this. I too check by smell but I’m used to oil not smelling like gasoline. A gas chromatography test for fuel dilution would be the ideal test rather than the nose.

Also, I have noticed as well that uoa’s done on severely fuel diluted fuel samples have shown low wear rates. The only thing I might question is a long term effect of FD as I don’t know of any members here with 100k plus miles showing high FD all along the way.

Yeah, I'm not putting any empiricism to it other than it seems to be reactive, knee-jerk comments on here if people smell gas in their oil. That's not to say that there's no such thing as fuel dilution...but like you say, severely diluted fuel and wear rates over x period would be interesting. I have always changed my oil at 5K miles so my bet is that it won't make much of difference in the 125K-150K miles I typically keep a car...if ever.

I know two people who are approaching 200K miles on their DI vehicles and neither is either aware of ( or has yet experienced problems with ) fuel dilution...not much of a sample, but it still might indicate that it's more of an issue on here than it is to the reality over x amount of miles with good routine maintenance.

Reduction in flash point is the easiest way to spot fuel dilution in a UOA.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yet it's even beyond B$tone to make that correlation.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yet it's even beyond B$tone to make that correlation.

That's a whole other discussion, LMAO!!
grin.gif

Drain a 1/2 litre and hot plate it (70 deg C+/-) outdoors or under a fume hood for 1 hour, and then measure remaining volume.

You can use virgin, same oil as a control, but fresh oil has a % off also that used wouldn't.

If you want you can try and flame off the volatiles in the first 10mins of hotplating.

This can be done at home CAREFULLY if you think about it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Drain a 1/2 litre and hot plate it (70 deg C+/-) outdoors or under a fume hood for 1 hour, and then measure remaining volume.

You can use virgin, same oil as a control, but fresh oil has a % off also that used wouldn't.

If you want you can try and flame off the volatiles in the first 10mins of hotplating.

This can be done at home CAREFULLY if you think about it.

Look at the distillation curves...
full-688-23696-gasoline_distillation_curve.jpg

70C is below the boiling point of even the ethanol component.

I use E10 93 octane and 0w40 M1 in my Gen Coupe. I usually go 5k mile OCI. I have noticed that the oil level actually increases over the 5k miles and the oil temp runs higher as I get near the end of the OCI.

Non GDI but turbo motor. Most driving is around 50 mph and for over an hour each time. The oil temp runs 180F-200F in that time depending on the ambient temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back