Oakland Airport considering name change that would mention proximity to San Francisco

Maybe they should advertise as “at least we’re not DFW” 🤣

I’d fly into SJC before OAK no matter what the name is. I was pleasantly surprised on the first flight ever to SJC last year. Much preferred over SFO or SAC if flights into FAT don’t work well. The short jaunt over to the valley isn’t bad at all.

It is not about US travelers so much as for foreign. Oakland has I think daily to Frankfurt and London. They are obviously trying to get more international travelers and Oakland is not some tourist Mecca.

It is not about US travelers so much as for foreign. Oakland has I think daily to Frankfurt and London. They are obviously trying to get more international travelers and Oakland is not some tourist Mecca.

That’s surprising considering SFO has flights to nearly anywhere you would want to fly.

That’s surprising considering SFO has flights to nearly anywhere you would want to fly.
Actually, they discontinued that as well as London. I think the name change is part of that attempt to bring back those companies like Lufthansa and British.

But, San Jose has also British and some other companies. The thing is, Bay Area is big, and has A LOT of international travel and business. So, they want piece of pie.

Actually, they discontinued that as well as London. I think the name change is part of that attempt to bring back those companies like Lufthansa and British.

But, San Jose has also British and some other companies. The thing is, Bay Area is big, and has A LOT of international travel and business. So, they want piece of pie.

I’ve heard the big tech companies like Apple will fill planes by themselves going to certain destinations. Not a surprise that San Jose has those flights.

I believe Lufthansa flies the 380 into SFO. I don’t know about British but adding flights out of OAK might make those airlines fly a lesser capacity aircraft. Then again business class demand is pretty high there.

I’ve heard the big tech companies like Apple will fill planes by themselves going to certain destinations. Not a surprise that San Jose has those flights.

I believe Lufthansa flies the 380 into SFO. I don’t know about British but adding flights out of OAK might make those airlines fly a lesser capacity aircraft. Then again business class demand is pretty high there.
British flys 787-8 to SJC.
There are 3 daily to Frankfurt from SFO and 3 to London Heathrow and one to Gatwick.

Probably at Oakland they think they could attract cheaper airlines like Condor, Norsk etc.

British flys 787-8 to SJC.
There are 3 daily to Frankfurt from SFO and 3 to London Heathrow and one to Gatwick.

Probably at Oakland they think they could attract cheaper airlines like Condor, Norsk etc.

They had Norwegian Air Shuttle for 5 years. Not sure how long British Airways had the Oakland-Gatwick route.

SFO is such a pain I try to fly to SJU or Oakland if heading to that area. The name change seems silly unless trying to cater to international flights with folks who really don’t know where it is. All the same, any modern travel software will include it if the “include nearby airports” type box is checked and the pricing is decent.

Will the Oakland airport be moving to Las Vegas too?
As opposed to their lousy sports teams, I'd welcome the airport if we could get rid of "Harry Reid International".

I've flown into Oakland when I didn't want to pay the large surcharge for SAC. Took BART to the nearby train station and the train to Sacramento. Easy peezy. I liked the train ride.

My dad went to high school there. He took me and my bro to see it in the 90’s and it was bad. It was unrecognizable to him. My dad got into Stanford and Berkeley then, and today the school is ranked 9,427 nationally. 20.9% college readiness?

My dad went to high school there. He took me and my bro to see it in the 90’s and it was bad. It was unrecognizable to him. My dad got into Stanford and Berkeley then, and today the school is ranked 9,427 nationally. 20.9% college readiness?

Not sure what it has to do with a major commercial airport. However, schools there really have to do with the students they serve. Oakland HS tends to serve lower-income families. Anyone with enough money in Oakland sends their kids to the expensive private schools like College Prep or Head-Royce. And they have some high performing charter schools, although I recall one had a series of controversies.

So the City and County of San Francisco is threatening to sue if the Port of Oakland goes ahead with a name change that includes "San Francisco".

I looked it up, and there is a San Francisco International Airport federal trademark registration.

However, there's also a "San Francisco Airport Office Center" which got a registration.

As for similar names, there's also an "Oakland County International Airport" (Michigan). Strangely enough it was before the City of Oakland registered "Oakland International Airport".

Looks like they did it.

6.2 Ordinance: Approve the Renaming of “Metropolitan Oakland International Airport” to “San Francisco Bay Oakland International Airport” (Aviation)​

Chicago-Rockford International Airport says "Hold My Beer".
30 years ago there was no traffic out of RFD, but now there is quite a bit including a UPS hub. I used to take my flight students there and enjoy the huge runways with no traffic.

Back