NYC/NJ roads suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil industry is shutting down rigs - having thousands of layoffs ... Topic is roads in NY/NJ ...

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Arent those roads the best? Taxed people to death and usually dictated by leaders on the left..What a combo. Some of the roads in Missouri/Kansas are scary too. And then when they do fix them they do everything to completely shutdown the street/highway. Kinda wish I could just ride a horse to work instead,modern roads are not all they are cracked up to be.

NJ believe it or not, has one of the lowest gas taxes in the country,and it shows. That's the only break you'll get in NJ.

They don't waste their scarce highway funding resources in road signs, that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Arent those roads the best? Taxed people to death and usually dictated by leaders on the left..What a combo. Some of the roads in Missouri/Kansas are scary too. And then when they do fix them they do everything to completely shutdown the street/highway. Kinda wish I could just ride a horse to work instead,modern roads are not all they are cracked up to be.

NJ believe it or not, has one of the lowest gas taxes in the country,and it shows. That's the only break you'll get in NJ.

They don't waste their scarce highway funding resources in road signs, that's for sure.

I think you're the second person at least that has mentioned that. I haven't a clue what you're talking about. I have no issues with the signage, and travel extensively all over the state since I have a lot of family that lives here.

I can't say it's any different than anywhere else I've been in that regard.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I drove up to NY 6 years ago. Never again. The worst part for NC residents is we have a daily influx moving down here. The people who move here know it all. Awful.
Lucky you aren't getting Californians!

Ahh yeah... there is a problem at times with signs or lack thereof at times. Interstate 80 eastbound into the interstate 287 interchange was lacking it when I went that way. But, to be fair it was under construction at the time so it was not a normal circumstance.

And about the 65 mph part south of the 287/95 interchange... I was going 70-71 and I felt like a back marker at Darlington with 60 lap tires on being overrun by 80% of everyone else. It was quite interesting being passed by just about 80% of the traffic around me. Now once the interchange with Interstate 276 was passed by it was much more normal. And especially south of that point I was in with everyone else and actually passing people going 72-73 mph. But before that point... I was 3 laps down at Darlington.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
Was in the NYC/NJ area over the weekend visiting some friends. If I had to choose between getting a root canal and driving there, I'd pick the root canal. My gripes:

-- Narrow lanes. They decided to cram 4 lanes into parts of the Garden State Parkway when there is realistically only room for 3. The speed limit is 55 but people go 70-75 and can barely maintain control of their cars when taking the tight bends so fast. I nearly got sideswiped on several occasions by these clowns.

-- Potholes and trash on the roads. The Turnpike after the GW Bridge is particularly bad. I had to dodge shredded tires, metal shards and other garbage lying on the road. Other highways in the area aren't much better.

-- Reckless drivers weaving in-and-out of lanes, no signaling, tailgating, honking, etc. It's one thing to be an aggressive driver, but these people just do whatever they want.

I'm glad to be back home. How people deal with the stressful driving up there is beyond me.

Learn how to drive, lol! I agree though, it is way too overpopulated for the aging infrastructure.

It's just different. No matter where home is I find folks mostly find fault with another place while overlooking the faults of where they are from.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

That's the only break you'll get in NJ.

They pump your gas too IIRC

Which is why I refuse to get gas in Jersey.

I have to say driving NY NJ I found roads a tad narrow but otherwise driving like around Boston.

I think the nuttiness is fine just wish more folks used turn signals if they want to cut you off etc. I tend to use signal and just move over despite what is going on in other lanes. People slow and let you in.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I think you're the second person at least that has mentioned that. I haven't a clue what you're talking about. I have no issues with the signage, and travel extensively all over the state since I have a lot of family that lives here.

As an out-of-towner who recently drove through New Jersey, I noticed plenty of signs telling me where NOT to turn, but precious few showing where I could turn.

The guy who pumped my gas finally told me how to turn around to get back on the highway, and kindly spilled gas on my paint.

Thought I had the no left turn business figured out on the return trip. Got off for a pit stop, just a block or two from the highway. When I went back to the light to make a right turn back to the on-ramp, I was only allowed to go left. A mile the other direction, circling around a block to turn left at a light, and the mile back got me to the ramp. No wonder NJ drivers are so frustrated. It makes me want to honk a horn just sitting here explaining it.

Our country has billions of dollars to support puppet governments overseas but very little money to improve infrastructure here in the USA.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Our country has billions of dollars to support puppet governments overseas but very little money to improve infrastructure here in the USA.

Yup, and I hate to say it, but the feds paying $$$ for roads "rewards" states that neglect them, so that moral hazard is out there. Then when the money gets spent a labor union might get a tiny bit of the action, and we want to starve them out too...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Isn't that the truth...

The roads are [censored] everywhere, and so are the drivers. Colorado's roads are in shambles and people drive like it's the wild wild west. So it's not just NYC/NJ, or anywhere else. It's everywhere.

People drive like their lives and everyone's lives around them are meaningless.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

As an out-of-towner who recently drove through New Jersey, I noticed plenty of signs telling me where NOT to turn, but precious few showing where I could turn.

The guy who pumped my gas finally told me how to turn around to get back on the highway, and kindly spilled gas on my paint.

Thought I had the no left turn business figured out on the return trip. Got off for a pit stop, just a block or two from the highway. When I went back to the light to make a right turn back to the on-ramp, I was only allowed to go left. A mile the other direction, circling around a block to turn left at a light, and the mile back got me to the ramp. No wonder NJ drivers are so frustrated. It makes me want to honk a horn just sitting here explaining it.

That's how it works from central to northern NJ. Moving south of the I-195, it's toss up if you can turn left or not. You just never know until you know. And by then it might be too late so you have to turn around and try again.

Quote:
People drive like their lives and everyone's lives around them are meaningless.

Very true indeed. People act like we are all driving NASCAR cup cars with all the safety features. So, if they were to get into an serious accident it would be of no consequence. Which is of course insane to think like that. But people sure seem to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back