Number of round between cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Curious, why the difference with .22s? I see a lot of shoot it until it stops type comments.

People have different guns for different tasks. My .22 guns are plinkers. They are used at the range only. They are never used for defensive purposes. As such, if they jam at the range, who cares. Most of my other guns are used for defensive purposes. They are cleaned/oiled/inspected after every range trip. I dont want to use a gun for defensive use that hasnt been cleaned in a year and is full of carbon and gunk. Some people do, but that ain't my style.

NOT being argumentative. I just find this an interesting conversation.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Curious, why the difference with .22s? I see a lot of shoot it until it stops type comments.

People have different guns for different tasks. My .22 guns are plinkers. They are used at the range only. They are never used for defensive purposes. As such, if they jam at the range, who cares. Most of my other guns are used for defensive purposes. They are cleaned/oiled/inspected after every range trip. I dont want to use a gun for defensive use that hasnt been cleaned in a year and is full of carbon and gunk. Some people do, but that ain't my style.

Maybe people have a lot more free money, or have much cheaper guns, or something else.

A S&W 617 or GP100 .22 ain't cheap. Plinking or not. I wouldn't want to leave it filled with Carbon and gunk. Maybe there's lots of $150 disposable .22 pistols that I'm not aware of. There are $150 .22 rifles. Id still want to protect it from corrosion.

Guns that can rust... you want them oiled, no? Cheap .22s can and will rust too.

I just can't see the logic of treating a fairly expensive item like a gun, with any difference just because it's a lowly .22.

I also don't get not protecting the barrel interior even if not cleaning the whole thing in detail.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Depends I think...

how infrequently will you use the .22, and what you need it for.

After oiling, my Krico takes about 4-5 shots to settle down the POI...not good for head shooting that rabbit. wasn't until I started target shooting that rifle that I realised that was likely why my shooting "got better" out in the field.

One of the guys at the range (RIP) used to go O/S for big game shooting. He'd take his rifles to the range, and foul them before packing them for the trip. Was his routine, and even if it was only giving him additional confidence, worked for him.

Get it that it depends. Good examples to make the case.

But are you shooting at the rabbits because you have a big garden? To eat? I.e. Regularly shooting? If you miss is there no dinner?

Depends is important aspect. But I'd argue it's safe to say that most guns are safe queens. Or at least don't get shot regularly; even if that's weeks/months, justifying at least some protection from corrosion if not in the arid desert...

They were for eating...we used to go and shoot a half dozen to 10 over a long morning walk (hour drive to get there), take them home and cook them.

Last time we did that would have to have been over 20 years ago.

They are a feral pest down, here, farmers welcome people shooting them.

NOT being argumentative. I just find this an interesting conversation. Maybe people have a lot more free money, or have much cheaper guns, or something else. A S&W 617 or GP100 .22 ain't cheap. Plinking or not. I wouldn't want to leave it filled with Carbon and gunk. I just can't see the logic of treating a fairly expensive item like a gun, with any difference just because it's a lowly .22.

I pretty much agree. I clean after every range session. I treat my guns the same way I treat my vehicles. I would rather "over maintain" them, (If there even is such a thing), than neglect them. With .22's and AK's I don't mess with the bore as much. But I use solvents and oil, but rarely brushes. And when I do, it's just a couple of quick passes.

With my bolt action rifles I spend more time with copper removal, and that sort of thing. Mostly to maintain accuracy. Most all my guns get a good wet cleaning with clean Kerosene, brushes, and a compressed air blow dry. I've found nothing through the years that gets crud out of a gun better. Afterward I oil all the surfaces and mechanisms where needed.

On my .22 revolvers I spend the most time cleaning the forcing cone and cylinder faces. I've had my S&W .22's bind up if I don't do this. I use those Lead Away Wipes. They do a nice job, and it doesn't take too much time. Gun cleaning, like vehicle maintenance is a PITA to think about and do. But when I'm done with both, I feel better for doing it.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I would rather "over maintain" them, (If there even is such a thing)

And thus we return...

And it's a well known fact more barrels are damaged by cleaning than shooting.

What sort of maintenance do you do on your car after every use ? I'm intrigued.

Not, "after every use". But I change oil and fluids more often than recommended. It's just something that I believe in. I'm sure YMMV. It usually always does.

I would rather "over maintain" them, (If there even is such a thing)

And thus we return...

And it's a well known fact more barrels are damaged by cleaning than shooting.

I should have included the word "IMPROPER". My mistake.

If barrels are damaged by cleanings, then they're using the wrong cleaners and using things like rods to accidentally damage crowns......etc.

There are a number of good cleaners today, that won;t damage the inside of your bore and remove what needs to be removed. Heck, most guns don't need specialized cleaners anymore, unless they are shot by people putting hundreds of rounds in them every year.

I'm guessing that's less than 5% of gun owners do that........ either people addicted to firing their weapons or police/military using them constantly.

So 95+% of us will not damage anything, unless using the wrong concoctions or over-abusing the bore, thinking ''all'' that copper or lead,, must come out.

Well guess what? Keep that copper, lead, carbon and plastic under control and it does not all have to come out of that bore (near/at 100%). Many cleaners out there that are non-toxic and environmentally friendly, that keep bad elements inside our bores under control.

We can have our guns over 50 years - under control from the elements and not damage anything.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
If barrels are damaged by cleanings, then they're using the wrong cleaners and using things like rods to accidentally damage crowns......etc.

And that involves a surprisingly large amount of shooters. In fact I would say most. How many shooters use a bore guide? Or a muzzle guard when cleaning a lever action, or semi auto rifle from the muzzle? I'll bet it's less than 5%. Much like washing a car, how many do it the right way? As opposed to washing the paint with the same bucket they just finished washing the wheels and tires with? Again, I would say most. I've seen most every guy on my block do it several times over.

This is what separates enthusiasts from "shooters". They are much fewer of the first. And a great many of the latter. Regardless, most barrels are not cleaned in the correct manner. And many of them are damaged as a direct result. Especially when these poor methods are repeated over and over countless times on the same weapon. Because they don't know any better. Or else simply don't care.

Do not know how many rounds you have down the tube , but as preventive maintenance , by all means clean it .

Since it is a pump action , not a gas operated , lubrication may be of even greater importance .

For cold weather , ATF ( Automatic Transmission Fluid ) makes a good , thin lube . Makes a fair cleaning oil too .

Hot weather , maybe 5W-30 engine oil . Our little Chevy Sonic requires Dexos spec oil . I run full synthetic . Every time I change oil , the last little bit in each oil bottle / jug ends up going into one of my squirt oil cans .

I have one oil can with ATF + motor oil + STP that I use on the reloading press .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back