Nulon 25W-60 gonna have to hoard some of this...

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Originally Posted By: SR5
Joe, do you think a dash of something like this 25W-60 mixed in with a normal Group IiI synthetic would help clean stuck piston rings ?

If so how much would you add ? 10% as a starting guess ?

Would you add it to something very thin like Shell Helix Ultra 0W20 (GTL) or somthing with natural low volatility like Castrol Edge 10W30 (a ILSAC Group III) ?
Yes. There's just something about Bright Stock that's great for rings. I might go for 20% with the Group III 10W30. Don't think about any Italian Tune-up's with the mixed oil; just lots of steady driving and lots of 'sit & soak' time so that the aromatics can do their job. Obviously same rules as before; check your dip stick and at the first sign of black, change the oil.

Thanks Joe, that is easily done.

Can you get Shell HX5 10W30 in Oz? That might be a good oil to mix with the Nulon 25W60.

That HX5 is a mineral 10W30 that's SN & A3/B3, unfortunately we don't get it here, I wish we did.

Our 10W30 selection is fairly limited. If I walked into an auto store looking for 30 grade PCMOs, I would see something like this.

Shell
HX8 5W30, full synthetic, SN, A3/B4.
HX7 10W30, semi-synthetic, SN, GF-5.

Castrol
Edge 5W30, full synthetic, SL, A3/B4, Various OEMs
Edge 10W30, full synthetic, SN, GF-5, A5/B5
Magnatec 10W30, semi-synthetic, SN, A3/B4
GTX 10W30, mineral, SN, GF-5

Valvoline
SynPower 5W30, full synthetic, SN, GF-5, Dexos
DuraBlend 10W30, semi-synthetic, SN, GF-5

So the only 10W30 mineral I get is something like GTX and it's an ILSAC oil.

The only 10W30 A3 oil I get is Magnatec and it's a semi-synthetic.

The Edge 10W30 still looks like a good option to me. It has a Noack of about 8%, a very high TBN of about 11, and a HTHS of 3.2 cP so it's very strong for an ILSAC oil. The Nulon 25W60 should add a nice shot of Moly and Zinc , plus bump up the solvency. The Edge will bring low Noack and high TBN to the party. Both should have a low VII load.

Should finish up as something like a low VII 15W-30 with decent moly, zinc and TBN maybe a HTHS around 3.5 cP. A man could do worse in life.

Last edited:
Hi Joe. You mentioned the same caution regarding the Kendall GT-1 30wt in my Roadmaster's engine sump. I haven't forgotten that. When I checked the oil a few days ago, the color was barely tinged black against the amber cast. If you have a moment, check out my "Thinking Too Much" thread, as I would love to hear your perspective.

As for the Nulon, for use in a regular car this looks a bit extreme, but I like the blending ideas proposed by SR5, even if he has crossed over to the ILSAC dark side.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Red91
As for the Nulon, for use in a regular car this looks a bit extreme, but I like the blending ideas proposed by SR5, even if he has crossed over to the ILSAC dark side.
wink.gif

True I have crossed over to ILSAC dark side, but more as a tourist looking at strange new lands, less as a turncoat.

That Edge 10W30 (the high TBN Oz version) and Nulon 25W60 mix comes out as what looks like a Euro A3 oil spec with strong TBN and high HTHS, but it can't be an ILSAC oil as it's zinc would be too high, maybe about 1000 ppm, and it would never pass the fuel saving test.

To be honest you could fine tune the final viscosity and HTHS with a bit of GTL Shell Helix Ultra 0W-20. The SHU and Edge, both being ILSAC oils have similar zinc level. So you could bump up the zinc and moly with a touch more Nulon, but keep the viscosity under control by replacing a bit of Edge 10W30 with SHU 0W20. It would be a semi-synthetic, but something like 80% synthetic, better than any other semi-syn you can buy.

Does Nulon make a straight 30wt version of this oil? I'd be all over that.

I don't think Nulon make any monogrades, but you can ask them yourself, there is a group of Nulon chemical engineers down at the track getting a photo taken, I'm sure they can answer all of your questions...

PHR22957.jpg

However the other Aussie oil company Hi-Tec make a SAE 30 monograde.
(Link Hi-Tec SAE30)

Possibly some Lucas racing oils might have that high of zinc, but I'm not familiar with them.

Yeah... I don't think so.
Maybe you were thinking Redline?

I know right. It's like a multivitamin supplement for regular oils.

Yeah, no kidding!

there is a group of Nulon chemical engineers down at the track getting a photo taken, I'm sure they can answer all of your questions...

PHR22957.jpg

However the other Aussie oil company Hi-Tec make a SAE 30 monograde.
(Link Hi-Tec SAE30)

The would DEFINITELY have the answers to my questions
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif
11.gif
10.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Don't think about any Italian Tune-up's with the mixed oil; just lots of steady driving and lots of 'sit & soak' time so that the aromatics can do their job.

What would you think of it for my workmate's white ute (shown in the video)...he does once per even OCIs, as the methanol gets past the rings.

(Currently using 20W60 from another manufacturer, and even though the cam went south, the film thickness appears to have prevented the bearings getting damaged by the grey paste)

The 20W60 your mate (the one man pollution factory!) is currently using will contain quite a lot of VII. I'm guessing that it will have an aggregate base oil KV100 of around 10.5 cst. The Nulon 25W60 on the other hand will have a much higher base oil KV100. I'm going to assume this stuff contains no, or very little, Ashless Dispersant and no VII so the base oil KV100 is going to be around 20+. Bright Stock itself has a KV100 of around 33 cst which gives you an idea of just how viscous this stuff is. Couple that very high base oil viscosity with a shed load of ZDDP and some Moly and you have a very strong film strength lubricant.

So yes, I'd definitely give it a go but obviously this is a somewhat unusual application so if the engine blows, it's not my fault!

Link to reference thread

Bump !

Just saw that the Nulon Street & Track 25W60 is on sale at SCA in Oz at $34 for 5L (it normally costs about $45)
ZDDP (zinc) = 1900 ppm
Molybdenum Dithiocarbamate (MoDTc) = 400 ppm
KV 40 = 276.9 cSt
KV 100 = 23.92 cSt
VI = 108
SA = 0.7 %
TBN = 5.4

I picked some up for my top-up oil.

Back