NTSB chief - FSD misleading and irresponsible

...As long as EV is not primary vehicle, it is vanity...
I think that depends on how you define primary. In my situation, my wife and I have two vehicles, plus I drive a work vehicle a lot of the time. Her M-F commute is ~60km round trip, which would be a great use case for an EV. We would keep the 6.2L F-150 for towing the trailer, and for longer highway trips where charging infrastructure isn't in place. As UncleDave pointed out, the at-home refuelling process is a big plus.

Why haven't we made that change so far? Electricity in our area is primarily generated by burning coal, and the new vehicle market isn't very purchaser-friendly right now.

Until I can hit the road in the morning, get stuck 7-8hrs on I70 in blizzard at -20, then drive back 3 hrs, we are talking vanity.
People at the mountains who drive EV, always have oversized SUV that gets 6mpg, ready for “action.”
And yes, it is cool crowd issue. That is why you don’t see them at local resorts.

An EV will do that more handily then a gas car will.

A modern EV has two to three days of average household energy usage stored in its battery. How long do you think it will sit there keeping a small cabin warm using an efficient heater? Guarantee it will do so longer then a gas vehicle will.

And other then ground clearance for deep snow most EVs have better AWD systems then ICE cars do.

Of course.
We can go bact and talk hurricanes, tornados etc.
As long as EV is not primary vehicle, it is vanity.
Same like my BMW is vanity.
I really don’t need it, Sienna goes from A to B, does Home Depot runs, road trips. Actually, I could have one vehicle. But I don’t.
Actually we might get EV if wife decides to get new car. ID4 or something like that. Why? She makes 5,000 miles a year, goes to TJ, Costco etc. Most hwy miles are done by me to get car “out.”
So, yeah, why not EV? We have two cars that we can depend on when really matters.
Edyvw has a point. No one needs a Tesla, Vette, Porsche, MBZ, Tesla, you name it. Or an $80K pickup.
I am not sure vanity is the right word, at least in all cases.
I had to buy 4 Corvettes to learn a Corvette would not make me happy.
And now I want a Model 3 Performance even though our Mid Range RWD does pretty much the same thing, only slower.
And it's already faster (under 5 seconds 0 to 60 time) than most cars! Sheesh.

An EV will do that more handily then a gas car will.

A modern EV has two to three days of average household energy usage stored in its battery. How long do you think it will sit there keeping a small cabin warm using an efficient heater? Guarantee it will do so longer then a gas vehicle will.

And other then ground clearance for deep snow most EVs have better AWD systems then ICE cars do.
You don’t sit 7-8 hrs. You also move. Battery depletion in that cold is significant. And don’t forget, you still have to negotiate numerous mountain passes to get where ever you are going.
You obviously never been in that situation.

You don’t sit 7-8 hrs. You also move. Battery depletion in that cold is significant. And don’t forget, you still have to negotiate numerous mountain passes to get where ever you are going.
You obviously never been in that situation.

Oh wait, so now you ARE moving? It seems like you are changing the argument so you can continue to crap on EVs.

Regardless of sitting or moving, unless you are driving highway speeds in the snowstorm where you are not moving and EV is going to use LESS energy then a gas vehicle.

Batteries don't "deplete" due to the cold, they have lower capacity due to slower reactions. Its around 20%, which changes 3 days of average household energy usage into 2.5. That's average household usage, including the washer and dryer. You doing laundry in the car? Then how much more do you think moving a bit and running a small efficient heater is going to last? 5 days? 10? The Ford Lightning will power your house for 10 days if you conserve energy so again, how long do you think an EV will sit there even if it is moving a bit.

"Navigate numerous mountain passes" , so wait, are we stuck or driving? It seems to have changed again. I'm guessing these mountain passes you are and are not driving on go up, and down, right?

"You obviously have never been in that situation" ahh, the claim to superior knowledge fallacy. Playing games isn't sign of a strong argument. If you want to play that game then lets hear about your personal use of electric vehicles in a snowstorm in the mountains.

Oh wait, so now you ARE moving? It seems like you are changing the argument so you can continue to crap on EVs.

Regardless of sitting or moving, unless you are driving highway speeds in the snowstorm where you are not moving and EV is going to use LESS energy then a gas vehicle.

Batteries don't "deplete" due to the cold, they have lower capacity due to slower reactions. Its around 20%, which changes 3 days of average household energy usage into 2.5. That's average household usage, including the washer and dryer. You doing laundry in the car? Then how much more do you think moving a bit and running a small efficient heater is going to last? 5 days? 10? The Ford Lightning will power your house for 10 days if you conserve energy so again, how long do you think an EV will sit there even if it is moving a bit.

"Navigate numerous mountain passes" , so wait, are we stuck or driving? It seems to have changed again. I'm guessing these mountain passes you are and are not driving on go up, and down, right?

"You obviously have never been in that situation" ahh, the claim to superior knowledge fallacy. Playing games isn't sign of a strong argument. If you want to play that game then lets hear about your personal use of electric vehicles in a snowstorm in the mountains.
Obviously you never drove in the mountains to understand how blizzards work. You are stuck 7-8 hrs between two points. There is no magic that suddenly opens the gates and everyone starts moving. You are mostly crawling until you find alternative road which means usually narrow two lane over some peaks. Or you can wait.
Besides that, Friday traffic between Denver and Summit county (exit to Breckenridge) can last 8-9hrs, same on Sunday’s going down. And that is in good weather.
No, it cannot hold capacity. Our friends spend night during thanksgiving and parked Model 3 outside went from 68% to 21% overnight. So, please.

Obviously you never drove in the mountains to understand how blizzards work. You are stuck 7-8 hrs between two points. There is no magic that suddenly opens the gates and everyone starts moving. You are mostly crawling until you find alternative road which means usually narrow two lane over some peaks. Or you can wait.
Besides that, Friday traffic between Denver and Summit county (exit to Breckenridge) can last 8-9hrs, same on Sunday’s going down. And that is in good weather.
No, it cannot hold capacity. Our friends spend night during thanksgiving and parked Model 3 outside went from 68% to 21% overnight. So, please.

You "obviously" cannot think this beyond your bias. If you have to use those quantifiers you lack the integrity to have an honest discussion. I grew up in Northern Minnesota, been in every state west of the Mississippi, even spent time in Alaska. Keep your "obviously" garbage to game night.

Yet again you fail to recognize that "crawling" in an electric is FAR more efficient then doing the same in a gas car. You also, again, fail to acknowledge that a car that can run your HOUSE for THREE DAYS isn't going to burn through its whole battery in 8 hours.

There are a TON of things that can affect how much energy was used an what is being reported. Voltage sags if the battery gets cold, that is how most batteries measure capacity, that doesn't mean the energy was consumed it means the little gauge inside was simply measuring voltage and making assumptions on remaining capacity. And things like a hot battery suddenly cooling off overnight and reporting a lower charge level due to internal temp, or consumption items like sentry mode or keep awake that can rob power, or the fact that you can make your Tesla keep the interior temp at 70 degrees at all times, even when empty. So take a hot battery, cool it off, run a bunch of stuff and then check on it 12 hours later, yeah the little gauge inside probably shows a big difference But unless you can change the laws of physics and the conservation of energy then simply changing the temperature on a battery doesn't CONSUME energy.

So in the words of those grinding their axe..."So, please"

Plus, a lot of sudden things happen unexpectedly. Passes can suddenly close for avalanche control which takes hours. If at night then it will be closed overnight for safety.

A lot of people here think these pass situations are just in certain areas but for most parts of the west you eventually have to cross a pass at some point. Drivers have learned the habit to fuel up before going over a pass. That’s common sense. Same will apply to EV as well.

You "obviously" cannot think this beyond your bias. If you have to use those quantifiers you lack the integrity to have an honest discussion. I grew up in Northern Minnesota, been in every state west of the Mississippi, even spent time in Alaska. Keep your "obviously" garbage to game night.

Yet again you fail to recognize that "crawling" in an electric is FAR more efficient then doing the same in a gas car. You also, again, fail to acknowledge that a car that can run your HOUSE for THREE DAYS isn't going to burn through its whole battery in 8 hours.

There are a TON of things that can affect how much energy was used an what is being reported. Voltage sags if the battery gets cold, that is how most batteries measure capacity, that doesn't mean the energy was consumed it means the little gauge inside was simply measuring voltage and making assumptions on remaining capacity. And things like a hot battery suddenly cooling off overnight and reporting a lower charge level due to internal temp, or consumption items like sentry mode or keep awake that can rob power, or the fact that you can make your Tesla keep the interior temp at 70 degrees at all times, even when empty. So take a hot battery, cool it off, run a bunch of stuff and then check on it 12 hours later, yeah the little gauge inside probably shows a big difference But unless you can change the laws of physics and the conservation of energy then simply changing the temperature on a battery doesn't CONSUME energy.

So in the words of those grinding their axe..."So, please"
Well, come here and demonstrate that in a storm that dumps 4 inches and hour and you have to crawl 7-8hrs.
No it is not the question what is more efficient, it is question whether you can go with one charge through those conditions. There is no predictability here. In those situations, or hurricanes etc. efficiency is not important at all.
And then, what happens if you are suddenly out of enough charge? And between exists?
To drive in the Rockies in the winter you have to ready for anything. And EV’s are currently not good for that, and that is why they are scarce going up the mountains.

Plus, a lot of sudden things happen unexpectedly. Passes can suddenly close for avalanche control which takes hours. If at night then it will be closed overnight for safety.

A lot of people here think these pass situations are just in certain areas but for most parts of the west you eventually have to cross a pass at some point. Drivers have learned the habit to fuel up before going over a pass. That’s common sense. Same will apply to EV as well.
Once I left house around 7, ended up in blizzard some 30 miles west of Denver. Manage to get out on HWY40 toward Winter Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. By the time I got to Frisco to get to Breckenridge it was 4pm. Ended up just driving back home. Was fun drive of some 14hrs throughout mountains. I think I had to buy 2 additional gallons of windshield fluid on the way.

even CNBC decided to cover what is possibly the greatest scam of the 21st century

Last edited:
Guess I better sell the Lexus. The door handle is in the wrong place.View attachment 81575
That door handle is a fancy version of mine. I never have to even look where it is, its in a perfect place. Even the first time I sat in my car, I never had to look where the handle and move my hand around searching. It’s just there right where it is easiest to find. I bet you never really looked at it either until the picture was taken. If Tesla could just have copied that, it likely would have saved a life or two.

Back