Normal Idle Temps for 13700K?

My primary build just got an upgrade a few weeks ago. I ended up with a 13700K, MSI Z790 Tomahawk DDR5, and a Corsair H170i (420mm) Elite LCD AIO with the ML140 fans. I used the factory installed thermal paste that was on the cooler, which Corsair claims is their XTM70. Everything I read about this paste says it is nothing short of stellar, blowing MX-4 away, and basically is the best non-conductive paste money can buy. No, I'm not just reading sponsored reviews. However, coming from the previous 12700K, I'm concerned with the temps. It is worth noting I have NOT overclocked the CPU at all yet. Haven't even done the "Game Boost" or other built-in features on my MSI MOBO either. Pure stock. The AIO is positioned at the roof of my large Corsair 7000D Airflow case. I have the same ML140 fans at the rear exhaust and front intake (3x) as well. There is absolutely no shortage of airflow, this build is focused 100% on function and temps before all else. I do not use the zero RPM mode, so even at idle, all fans spin. I'd rather prematurely burn out a fan than something more expensive. My 12700K would idle between 26-30C with a rare spike to 32 no matter the season or room temperature using the same cooler and same factory installed paste (those parts just got transplanted into another build, and I started fresh again). This factory 13700K idles between 39-45C with a rare spike to 50. Is this normal? It seems excessive to me. 50 is what the 12700K would be at under a pretty heavy load/bench, now it's an idle temp? Odd, especially considering the same AIO and paste were used for both, and the paste is precision applied in a pattern which leaves no room for human error.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Is the XTM70 as good as they say? It kept the 12700K frosty, so there shouldn't be any difference.
2. Is there any reason to remove it and install some of the MX-4 I already have on hand? Or something else?
3. Am I missing something that could cause high temps? I briefly read something about a 'pressure bracket'...
4. Do I have anything wrong with any hardware?

I think the answer is that it's normal for this CPU and I'm just thinking out loud, but I just can't shake the thought that it is too warm for idle and something is unusual.

Run alternating instances of Prime95 and FurMark on all of the physical cores by assigning affinity to each physical core. If it doesn’t blue screen or worse, it’s just a hot idle.

I don’t have a 13700K, I moved back to AMD about 5 years ago mainly on price, because I saw a lot of positive things finally changing the tide between Intel and AMD. Now, if I had only been as prescient with all of my stock investments…

I realized a majority of the “speed advantage” of Intel didn’t really make as big of a difference in real life as they would have you believe. I moved to dumping the lion’s share of the budget into the fastest PCIe SSDs I could possibly afford. Best of luck on your temps, I would clean and reapply the thermal paste of your choice. However, it’s not clear if the AIO is brand new or was freecycled from your previous build- it’s not super common, but it is possible for some liquid to escape. If there’s air in the system it would definitely lead to high temps.

Ah! One other thing I just remembered- a few builds back, I had an ROG mobo and a Corsair AIO- I had run the fan software to find all the fan speed curves, and the ROG software “showed” around 1400rpm on the AIO, but my temps were high like yours. I went into the control software and forced the AIO to max speed, and lo and behold, some gurgling emitted and the pump began to spin, and almost instantly the temps dropped over 30*F. It appears the software had picked too low of a voltage, and it was enough to turn on the pump LEDs but not enough juice to actually spin the pump. Try forcing the AIO pump to max speed and see if that helps!

Run alternating instances of Prime95 and FurMark on all of the physical cores by assigning affinity to each physical core. If it doesn’t blue screen or worse, it’s just a hot idle.

I don’t have a 13700K, I moved back to AMD about 5 years ago mainly on price, because I saw a lot of positive things finally changing the tide between Intel and AMD. Now, if I had only been as prescient with all of my stock investments…

I realized a majority of the “speed advantage” of Intel didn’t really make as big of a difference in real life as they would have you believe. I moved to dumping the lion’s share of the budget into the fastest PCIe SSDs I could possibly afford. Best of luck on your temps, I would clean and reapply the thermal paste of your choice. However, it’s not clear if the AIO is brand new or was freecycled from your previous build- it’s not super common, but it is possible for some liquid to escape. If there’s air in the system it would definitely lead to high temps.

Ah! One other thing I just remembered- a few builds back, I had an ROG mobo and a Corsair AIO- I had run the fan software to find all the fan speed curves, and the ROG software “showed” around 1400rpm on the AIO, but my temps were high like yours. I went into the control software and forced the AIO to max speed, and lo and behold, some gurgling emitted and the pump began to spin, and almost instantly the temps dropped over 30*F. It appears the software had picked too low of a voltage, and it was enough to turn on the pump LEDs but not enough juice to actually spin the pump. Try forcing the AIO pump to max speed and see if that helps!
My original kit was a 12700K, Z690, and the H170i. Those parts went to build #2, and I bought a 13700K, Z790, and another H170i for build #1. All new parts.

Interesting thought on the forced pump speed. I'll try it.

I'm giving myself a complete refresh on overclocking. I can tune a GPU with the best of them, but for some reason I really struggle with CPUs and end up barely overclocking at all out of safety. Like I said in my other thread, I'm kind of software ignorant. Can you elaborate on what you mean in the first part? Thanks for your help in two threads now!

Edit: No cigar on the pump. No change. Good thought though.

Make sure the socket/mobo isn’t bending. It was more a 12th gen Intel thing with the IHS on Adler Lake CPU’s, but they’re both LGA1700.

IMG_7841.jpeg

Yes, my 13700k idles around 35-39 with a Dark Rock 4 Pro in a Fractal Meshify C depending on ambient temps. I also have the side panel off which helps the temps a bit under load since that CPU and a 3080 makes the inside nice and toasty even with 6 case fans (it can get up into the mid 80s in my home office and I still won't turn the AC on LOL.) I'll double check when I get home.

Just double checked my temps, I'm sitting at 40C +- 2 between the P and E cores @ 10w of power and 80F ambient temp.

Reactions: Y_K
It would be good to also know what are the temps under a full load, idle temps mean very little all by themselves.

But as mentioned by Skippy722, the IHS is known to warp and not make full contact with a cooler cold plate. So I would check that.
And yes, the13th gen does run hotter than the 12th gen. That's where most of the generational gains are from, intel upped the TDP on them, which means higher temps.

I'm around 36-38C on my 13700k with a corsair h100i elite capellix cooler.
room is around 73F and coolant temp around 32C

yea I mixed F and C. :LOL:

I'd say you are probably fine. See what it is under heavy load for awhile.
if its normal under full load it is fine.

FWIW: I hear some 12700 were normal in the below 30 range.. but you have to realize how this works when it reports temps.
its not like shining an IR thermo on it.

Last edited:
I have a 13700k in my new build with an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm and it idles between 30-33C. I used the MX-4 that came with the cooler.

Update: I installed a Thermalright contact frame tonight (this is the pressure bracket you referenced) and re-mounted using MX-6. A multicore Cinebench run came in at max 79C @ 217w. Idling at 32C.

If you're idling over 40C I would really look into getting a contact frame.

Attachments

• Cinebench_6-29-23.jpg
    Cinebench_6-29-23.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 30
Back