Nokian WRG4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the NW Michigan snow belt region and have been looking for tires as well. Not interested in doing the separate rims with winter tires, IMO if you don't drive like an idiot the all seasons seem OK...and don't like running snows on the expressway going down state at 80mph on dry pavement.

Anyways was looking at these "all weather" tires as they have been getting very positive reviews and was leaning towards the Michelin Crossclimate. The dealership I called said he could not get them and recommended Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 XL for $661...this particular dealer seems to push Nokian, it must be their main tire line. I thought these were winter tires but he said they were all season with a winter (snow flake) rating, 50,000 mi tread rating. I asked about the Nokian WR G4, and they are $476 with the same 50,000 mi tread rating.

Any experience with these Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 XL‘s? The price is approaching Michelin (with $70 cash card).
Thanks,

"don't like running snows on the expressway going down state at 80mph on dry pavement"

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 are snow tires but I wonder if you were able to tell it when going down state at 80mph on dry pavement (in the cold, summer would be different story).

I guess you are the person that has one pair of shoes (or just one kind of shoes).

KrzyÅ›

PS In Europe they use all weather tires in towns and cities. If you have hils, mountains or unplowed roads they suggest real winter tires (proper for conditions as there are a few different kinds of winter tires).

Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu
...Anyways was looking at these "all weather" tires as they have been getting very positive reviews and was leaning towards the Michelin Crossclimate. The dealership I called said he could not get them and recommended Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 XL for $661...this particular dealer seems to push Nokian, it must be their main tire line. I thought these were winter tires but he said they were all season with a winter (snow flake) rating, 50,000 mi tread rating. I asked about the Nokian WR G4, and they are $476 with the same 50,000 mi tread rating...

Your tire dealer is clueless. The R3 is a studless winter tire, with traction optimized for ice and snow. The WRG4 is an all weather tire (basically an all season tire with enhanced snow traction) that can be left on the vehicle all year long.

Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu
I live in the NW Michigan snow belt region and have been looking for tires as well. Not interested in doing the separate rims with winter tires, IMO if you don't drive like an idiot the all seasons seem OK...and don't like running snows on the expressway going down state at 80mph on dry pavement.

Anyways was looking at these "all weather" tires as they have been getting very positive reviews and was leaning towards the Michelin Crossclimate. The dealership I called said he could not get them and recommended Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 XL for $661...this particular dealer seems to push Nokian, it must be their main tire line. I thought these were winter tires but he said they were all season with a winter (snow flake) rating, 50,000 mi tread rating. I asked about the Nokian WR G4, and they are $476 with the same 50,000 mi tread rating.

Any experience with these Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 XL‘s? The price is approaching Michelin (with $70 cash card).
Thanks,

R3 is step up in winter tire segment over WR G4. It is hard core winter tire. I have predecessor R2, and based on experience so far, I am not venturing again to Nokian anything.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I am not venturing again to Nokian anything.

They have fresh date codes on their tires now I've been noticing lately. Not sure if that's still an issue with you or not with the date codes.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by edyvw
I am not venturing again to Nokian anything.

They have fresh date codes on their tires now I've been noticing lately. Not sure if that's still an issue with you or not with the date codes.

IDK, but performance deterioration in third winter on these is ridicilous. That being said, they are also now almost 5 years old. So they are gone next winter regardless of depth.
But, their performance in wet is plain scary, amount of weights necessary to balance is enough to balance tires on fleet of cars of average rent-a-car place, loud, transfer a lot of imperfections from the road etc.
I had some time ago Noakian WR in Europe, and was not impressed with them too. Thought to give them another chance with R2 (and paid a lot for them). So maybe in 20-30 years I will try again.

I have no complaints about the winter performance of my set of Nokian R2s. But at the time of purchase I did have to try 7 tires before getting a set that had acceptably low road force values and did not shake the steering wheel. For that reason I will not be buying Nokian again.

Never had issues with the WR G3 (asymmetric) with balancing issues on my old car. The Zline A/S didn't require much weights either.

Will be trying again with the WR G4 SUV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back