Nokian Entyre 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
turboseize said:
Well, they surely know how to make great winter and decent summer tyres. They even build an all-wheather tyre that consistently beats win
Nokian all weather beat TS860 in winter test?
shocked.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Brits and winter driving? Tell me you are joking.

Not quite: in their 2015 and 2016 all-sason tyre tests, AutoExpress also ran the winter and summer tyre test winners, as to have a refrence to compare the all seasons tyres' performance against. Turns out the Nokian all-season (Wheatherproof) was actually better than the reference winter tyre on snow and in aquaplaning situations, while the winter tyre beat the Nokian all-season on dry roads. So the Nokian all-season is a better winter tyre than the test winning winter tyre, and the Conti winter tyre a better all-season than the Nokian all season... the lines between all season and (central european) winter tyres are becoming blurry indeed.

Keep in mind we are talking about "european" winter tyres here, who are more likely to see wet roads than snow and which have to work in a temperature window from -10 to +20° and thus have to have at least some all-season capabilies. Nordic compound winter tyres are a completely different beast, obviously far superior in the white stuff, but next to useless in a typical central european winter.
Keep also in mind that the typical european all season looks mostly like a winter tyre (with the only exception of the Michelin CrossClimate), while most american all seasons look like summer tyres...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turboseize
turboseize said:
Well, they surely know how to make great winter and decent summer tyres. They even build an all-wheather tyre that consistently beats win
shocked.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Not quite: in their 2015 and 2016 all-sason tyre tests, AutoExpress also ran the winter and summer tyre test winners, as to have a refrence to compare the all seasons tyres' performance against. Turns out the Nokian all-season (Wheatherproof) was actually better than the reference winter tyre on snow and in aquaplaning situations, while the winter tyre beat the Nokian all-season on dry roads. So the Nokian all-season is a better winter tyre than the test winning winter tyre, and the Conti winter tyre a better all-season than the Nokian all season... the lines between all season and (central european) winter tyres are becoming blurry indeed.

Keep in mind we are talking about "european" winter tyres here, who are more likely to see wet roads than snow and which have to work in a temperature window from -10 to +20° and thus have to have at least some all-season capabilies. Nordic compound winter tyres are a completely different beast, obviously far superior in the white stuff, but next to useless in a typical central european winter.
Keep also in mind that the typical european all season looks mostly like a winter tyre (with the only exception of the Michelin CrossClimate), while most american all seasons look like summer tyres...

I know what you talking, I had TS series from 780 to 850.
So you are telling me living in for example, Bavaria, you would put Nokian allweather (or whatever) before TS860? Give me a break man.
I am from Central Europe. There are numerous tires made in Central, West, Eastern Europe that have hardcore winter compound as well as design. Sava S3, Kleber, etc. are first ti come in mind. Making so called Nordic tire is not hard. It is actually much less complex to make Nokian Hakka R2 then TS860. Those tires like R2 have extremely soft compound with wide treads (like for example Sava S3). The focus is strictly on deep snow, ice and slush. Numerous manufacturers like Continetal, Good year, Michelin have knock off brands that have similar compounds since because of lower living standard and not so good road maintenance n Eastern Europe, emphasis is on hardcore winter tires. I have now Nokian Hakka R2 on my VW. It is no better in deep snow then Sava S3 I had long time ago, and it is equally bad in dry and wet. It is so bad in dry that I took car few days ago to my indy to check wheel bearings because I just could not believe the noise they make once you put load on them in corners.
There is no allweather tire that I would like to have on my car negotiating Austrian alps in middle of winter compare to TS860.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Well, they surely know how to make great winter and decent summer tyres. They even build an all-wheather tyre that consistently beats winter tyres on snow, ice and slush - see the british AutoExpress all-season tests: The Nokian Weatherproof is the better winter tyre than the test-winning reference winter tyre (Conti TS 860).

Those Finns are smart. Maybe they also have learned how to sell summer tyres to the american public calling them "all seasons".
cool.gif

shocked.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

That brits have produced Colin McRae and Richard Burns, so they do know how to drive in the winter.

No, they do not.

turboseize said:
shocked.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

By the way those test results that Nokian Wheatherproof are posting are resembling strict winter tire compound. Horrid wet scores and good snow results.
It is marketing gimmick that it is all weather tire. There is huge emphasis on snow performance in that tire. But, I guess if you call it weatherproof it is I guess good for all year. Nokian is good making very soft, strictly winter compound, and they are utilizing that advantage. But, Nokian is NOT Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone etc.
Overall quality is nowhere near Continental. Tires do not stay new too long.

Apparently there is market for all weather/all season tires.
Continental swore that it will never make such tires as seasonal ones are providing better performance but they relented and now joined other makers.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Continental swore that it will never make such tires as seasonal ones are providing better performance but they relented and now joined other makers.

Krzys

Of course they joined. It is appealing market share. Take into consideration climate change too. In some areas tires like Nokian Weatherproof and similar are making more sense. Granted I DO NOT want to drive that tire on European roads in summer.

turboseize said:
shocked.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

By the way those test results that Nokian Wheatherproof are posting are resembling strict winter tire compound. Horrid wet scores and good snow results.
It is marketing gimmick that it is all weather tire. There is huge emphasis on snow performance in that tire. But, I guess if you call it weatherproof it is I guess good for all year. Nokian is good making very soft, strictly winter compound, and they are utilizing that advantage. But, Nokian is NOT Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone etc.

I think we mostly agree here. It is much easier to make a tyre that does one thing really well at the expense of other areas, than making a tyre that is at least decent in all relevant fields, and which has to manage conflicting demands...
In my opinion, the Weatherproof is a snow-biased winter tyre that is for some reason marketed as an all season.
But this also works the other way round: take for example Semperit Speed Grip 2 - sold as a winter tyre, but only barely copes with snow. On the other hand, the Semperit does astonishingly well in the dry for a winter tyre. I would NOT want to drive the Semperit on a white mountain road, but I'd happily drive that tyre even at temperatures above 20°... So the winter-labeled Semperit is in reality an all-season, and the all-season labeld Nokian a winter tyre.
In my opinion, you can no longer just go after the marketing labels, you really have to read tests and figure a tyres strengths and weaknesses.

Krzys

Of course they joined. It is appealing market share. Take into consideration climate change too. In some areas tires like Nokian Weatherproof and similar are making more sense. Granted I DO NOT want to drive that tire on European roads in summer.

On a "white" road (snow and/or ice), I'd rather have the Nokian. On a "black" road, even with freezing temperatures, I'd rather have a Michelin. Or even the Conti (though I have developed a profound dislike for the brand and would NOT buy any more tyres from them. Contis are great when new, but you cannot trust them for long. I've thrown away three sets of Contis after just 20.000km/4month, when they suddenly lost all wet grip... I'd then rather take their 2nd tier brands, suc as Uniroyal or Semperit, which will not offer the same initial performance, but stay consistent longer).

Last edited:
The increasing use of all-season/all-weather tires is due to places like Quebec and Germany requiring something with the mountain and snowflake during the winter months. Both they, and other jurisdictions, used to allow anything M+S, but have since tightened up. They are popular in those places among people that only want to use one set of tires year-round.

Vredestein was the first company to make this type of tire, the original Quatrac about 25 years ago.

Krzys

On a "white" road (snow and/or ice), I'd rather have the Nokian. On a "black" road, even with freezing temperatures, I'd rather have a Michelin. Or even the Conti (though I have developed a profound dislike for the brand and would NOT buy any more tyres from them. Contis are great when new, but you cannot trust them for long. I've thrown away three sets of Contis after just 20.000km/4month, when they suddenly lost all wet grip... I'd then rather take their 2nd tier brands, suc as Uniroyal or Semperit, which will not offer the same initial performance, but stay consistent longer).

Isn't Uniroyal owned by Conti in Europe?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Isn't Uniroyal owned by Conti in Europe?

Yes, and they are a kind of a one-trick pony. They focus solely on wet performance and aquaplaning resistance, and sacrifice dry handling and durability. The rubber is absurdely soft.
Perfect tyre for northern Germany or the British Islands, pretty much useless when the sun comes out.

Last edited:
turboseize said:
shocked.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I think we mostly agree here. It is much easier to make a tyre that does one thing really well at the expense of other areas, than making a tyre that is at least decent in all relevant fields, and which has to manage conflicting demands...
In my opinion, the Weatherproof is a snow-biased winter tyre that is for some reason marketed as an all season.
But this also works the other way round: take for example Semperit Speed Grip 2 - sold as a winter tyre, but only barely copes with snow. On the other hand, the Semperit does astonishingly well in the dry for a winter tyre. I would NOT want to drive the Semperit on a white mountain road, but I'd happily drive that tyre even at temperatures above 20°... So the winter-labeled Semperit is in reality an all-season, and the all-season labeld Nokian a winter tyre.
In my opinion, you can no longer just go after the marketing labels, you really have to read tests and figure a tyres strengths and weaknesses.

Krzys

I never had that issue with Continental. My brother bought 20 sets of TS850 for his business vehicles, and they all made upward of 40,000km with no glitch.
Now, it is possible that manufacturer will screw up good product. Nothing came close to Good Year Ultra Grip some 20 years ago in winter tires segment in Europe. Once they introduced Ultra Grip 7 they never managed to go back as best of the best.

I had TS 790 or 810 as a winter tyre on my first 16S, and Conto EcoContact on my w123 (twice). I have also experience with the Premium Contact 2 on my ex-gf's 900 turbo.
All these tyres were absolutely great when new. I totally understand why Conti wins nearly every tyre test they enter. But the winter tyre lost all wet and ice grip in the second winter, and the EcoContacts lost both wet and dry grip within a weekend (that is, within 1600km) during their first summer. When an asthmatic naturally aspirated diesel kicks the back out under normal acceleration, then something is wrong. Fun, but wrong. 88hp/168Nm paired with an ancient 4-speed slushbox with a super soft torque converter just should not do that. Braking and lateral grip suffered, too. Tyres had 4-5mm of tread left and were 4month/20.000km old...
I have never had a tyre from a different brand change it's performance so drastically, so fast. I love Michelins for that: buy them, drive forever, replace when tread

Last edited:
I had TS 790 or 810 as a winter tyre on my first 16S, and Conto EcoContact on my w123 (twice). I have also experience with the Premium Contact 2 on my ex-gf's 900 turbo.
All these tyres were absolutely great when new. I totally understand why Conti wins nearly every tyre test they enter. But the winter tyre lost all wet and ice grip in the second winter, and the EcoContacts lost both wet and dry grip within a weekend (that is, within 1600km) during their first summer. When an asthmatic naturally aspirated diesel kicks the back out under normal acceleration, then something is wrong. Fun, but wrong. 88hp/168Nm paired with an ancient 4-speed slushbox with a super soft torque converter just should not do that. Braking and lateral grip suffered, too. Tyres had 4-5mm of tread left and were 4month/20.000km old...
I have never had a tyre from a different brand change it's performance so drastically, so fast. I love Michelins for that: buy them, drive forever, replace when tread

Michelin is known for their uniformity throughout lifespan of tire. That is why I mostly buy them.
However, I did not experience that with my Conti's and I was using them before moving to the U.S. exhaustively in the Balkans, Austria, Germany. Also, was skiing 2-3 times a week. Never had issue with Conti. Though, I would put 40-50k on them in two winters.

I have put this tire on my 2012 Odyssey van, very good price for the size, but hard to find in So Cal. Noise is pretty well muted, but I am very disappointed at its ride.. It is hard, sends all the irregular ripples, cracks straight to the car, feels every harsh impact....

Last edited:
Love Nokian Tyres. Their entire line is fantastic, and the all weather models (WRG3 and WRG4) might be the best New England tire ever made. Can't go wrong in my book, and Nokian will have their US palnt online in the next few years. They will be running neck and neck with Michelin and Continental as they already rule the winter wonderland.

Originally Posted By: csufl
I have put this tire on my 2012 Odyssey van, very good price for the size, but hard to find in So Cal. Noise is pretty well muted, but I am very disappointed at its ride.. It is hard, sends all the irregular ripples, cracks straight to the car, feels every harsh impact....

Educate me please, as I have never been to SoCal.

Is there really a need for a all season tire there?

Some more experiences.

I made it home (30mile drive) in one of the late season blizzards the winter dumped on us this year here in PA.

While occasionally spinning the tires I never felt worried, this was on the highway and our local hills.

Passed a lot of cars on the side of the road as we got dumped on hard and fast.

At least in their relatively new stage they behave very well in deep wet slush.

As I wrote earlier these are really more winter oriented than an all-season usually is IMHO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: csufl

Educate me please, as I have never been to SoCal.

Is there really a need for a all season tire there?

All-seasons tend to have a longer tread life rating.

And yes, it does snow in SoCal. You have to drive to the mountains of SoCal to see snow, which is where the ski resorts are.

You probably heard of Chloe Kim, from this past winter Olympics, her "home mountain resort" is Mountain High
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mountain+High+Resort/@34.3769418,-117.6937129,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c31702941f89b9:0xaf8aebf08e4a96b5!8m2!3d34.3769418!4d-117.6915242
Not too far from LA

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
That brits have produced Colin McRae and Richard Burns, so they do know how to drive in the winter.

Some do. But, when I lived there, 1mm of snow on the ground was enough to reduce traffic to a crawl.

Admittedly that was, in part, because the trains stopped running so there were more cars on the road.

And, since I was driving a mid-engined car with summer tires, it probably wasn't such a bad thing.

I just had my tires rotated. The first rotation was at 5,000 miles, this rotation was at about 6,000 miles. Total on the Entyre 2.0's is 11,055 miles.

Keep in mind I drive aggressively on winding roads, on/off ramps, curves and the likes. They have maintained a very smooth and decently quiet ride. They are wearing evenly, as well. No issues what so ever. Love them!

They start life at 11/32 depth, and here is where they are now, 11K miles later...

Sorry for the sun reflection on two photos, but I assure you they all have the same reading.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back