Noise at start up

Ok my Tahoe just started making cold start up noise for a few seconds.
Same engine noise I get with a new oil change before the filter fills with oil for those first few seconds.
Oil filter sits where oil won't drain out so it shouldn't be a faulty Ani drain back valve in my opinion.
Filter is a Fram ultra with only 4k on it, I have used these for years.
Thinking of throwing a Purolator on I have in garage

Oil filter sits where oil won't drain out so it shouldn't be a faulty Ani drain back valve in my opinion.
Even with a filter mounted low on the engine with base up, a bad ADBV can still allow oil in the galleries above the filter to drain out, even if the filter stays full. Gravity is trying to get all the oil above the sump back into the sump.

Oil pressure is good all the time, never low.
My 5.3 does have 218k

Did it just recently develop the ticks? Could just be age.

It would be a simple and inexpensive experiment to swap oil filters real quick and see if anything changes over the next few days of cold stars. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If it will still sound the same, you know that ultra was perfectly fine and you can slap it back on during the next oil change and run it some more. 👍🏼

The wife drives it mostly.
I only drive it on weekends or when she needs my truck.
i noticed it the other day starting it at work.
Put a wix on it this a.m.
Just tried it, same with the wix. It's only a second or two, hope I'm not getting extra wear. I did switch to hm qsud but that would not be the problem oils, oil

If there is a leak at the oil filter adapter, if it has one, the galleries can drain out. Either inside the adapter at the oring or rings, or at the mount to the engine block. If there is no adbv what stops the oil gallery from draining out? It has air over it and drains out. Even if the filter is base up. An adbv stops that flow.

What year is your Tahoe?

I have a 2007 with 306k and have used purlator one filters and change every 3,500 miles. This engine is known to have lifter issues due to the AFM process which is very sensitive to oil viscosity.

At 200k+ you could be having an issue with the oil pick-up seal which is wouldn't be a surprise either. It gets brittle and sucks air at start up. Do you notice only at cold start up or even after warm restart?

It does sound a bit like
What year is your Tahoe?

I have a 2007 with 306k and have used purlator one filters and change every 3,500 miles. This engine is known to have lifter issues due to the AFM process which is very sensitive to oil viscosity.

At 200k+ you could be having an issue with the oil pick-up seal which is wouldn't be a surprise either. It gets brittle and sucks air at start up. Do you notice only at cold start up or even after warm restart?
2006 no AFM
Only after it sits for 6 plus hrs. Warm starts fine no noise. Syn oil all its life from first oil change

Ok my Tahoe just started making cold start up noise for a few seconds.
Same engine noise I get with a new oil change before the filter fills with oil for those first few seconds.
Filter is a Fram ultra with only 4k on it, I have used these for years.
Thinking of throwing a Purolator on I have in garage
The LS engine does have a somewhat wacky, leak prone oil system-not only does the crank driven oil pump wear out, and the pickup o-ring go flat, but the oil passages by the filter adapter go through the oil pan flange gasket as well. If the oil filter doesn’t help, one of the other things is likely causing the problem. My Express is going to eventually get all of those things replaced, including an HV Melling oil pump.

Back