No Strings High Rate Savings Accounts

I wonder how many play the rate game with savings accounts as the difference can really add up over time.
I have my investments in the market but there are times beside always keeping some liquidity, when I need to keep more money liquid as well, such as currently building a new home.

Anyway, I always liked Alliant Credit Union, interest on checking and savings. Savings interest was always far above the national average though recently I think they have fallen behind in being near the top. However a few years later now I dont feel that way anymore.

Feel like customer service is to slow compared to the best online banks and the rates much to my surprise have fallen way behind the competition. So I have been moving money around, signing up with new banks ect.

Among the highest rates I see this week is 3.6% with CIT BANK (not CITI BANK) worst is Alliant at 2.6% and middle ground Discover bank at 3% but with a $200 to $500 sign on bonus from Discover so short term that makes up for a lot. Also others like Bask Bank, Lending Club ect ect that I haven't tried. Just search for high rate savings accounts on duckduckgo and google.

Make sure of the terms like some big banks CITI Bank (not CIT Bank mentioned above) require combination accounts ect. That I stay away from.
I only choose banks that do not have restrictions, fees for simple transactions and "catches" and never accept a charge to transfer money around.

It's so easy to switch around banks online that there is no reason to settle for less, no different than shopping at Amazon really. Just like Amazon, I never see any of these "banks" in the real world.

Simple multiple searches show you the rates, you then go to the websites and check if it's right for you.

Last edited:
Exactly, Bank Rate typically my first go to source for anything with rates.
I then select some and check terms... Here is another https://www.investopedia.com/personal-finance/banks-pay-highest-interest-rates-savings-accounts/
The reason I like to check a few sites, for example the link I posted has Citibank in there (not CIT bank) Citibank rate has conditions for grouping together accounts. I dont deal with "conditions" Except like Discover Bank that depending how much you put in they give a $200 to $500 bonus after 30 days... but at least with them the rate itself is not conditional, though others like CIT Bank (not Citibank) and Bask as well as others give you a much higher rate without bonuses. Anyway, fun to shop around!

Last edited:
What we can get in Canada - this can be sheltered tax free at $6,000 per year, cumulative.
This is "Tangerine" online banking.

1669929633528.jpg

Got over 30 accounts, some from over 10 years ago, that I can transfer funds between. Most of them I keep only a penny in to keep them open and haven't used in years. Right now I'm moving most of the money into my 4% savings accounts and only keep a few thou in my brick and mortar Capital One savings account and business checking for bill pay.

Alliant Credit Union = United Airlines Employees Credit Union.
Yes! Former United Air CU
Now a public credit union I have had them a good number of years, my first only online savings account and checking and has been an ok to great experience but lately been slow to raise rates with the Fed raising them and their web and app portals a little rough around the edges, more so when they went to upgrade them. Customer service SLOW if you need it.
Still wouldn’t trash them to anyone though, the site works and works well. Also rates may climb slower but maybe catch up as they have been going up one or more times a month just in lessor amounts.

I’m not sure yet if these other online banks that I just signed up with will stay ahead of Alliant as much as they are now or if the high rates right now are to attract new customers and they can do that knowing the Fed is going to keeps raising them.

More or less, are the newer high rates just ahead of the Fed hikes ? And will Alliant catch up while the others slow down raising rates?

I use CIT. previously used Ally, Capital One, FNBO and others. I’m not loyal.
Very cool, me either, highest rates with no costs win.
CIT now up to 3.6% and transferring more in today. I have a number of new online banks this week and most impressed with CIT rates if I remember correctly it shows you interest earned day by day.
Their iPhone App NEEDS some polishing for sure!
I’m still in bed and going back to sleep.

CIT is now an online division of First Citizens Bank and I think CIT maybe still in the upgrade portion of their online access?

Any concerns about your money disappearing? Is a savings account insured?
1. No concerns greater than any online access to accounts which is almost everywhere except if your off the grid.
Might be more secure than paper trails with your account Information in print circulating everywhere.
2. Yes all government insured, same as brick and mortar.

Back