No more USA made Craftsman from Texas

Not sockets but Milwaukee claims to be making some stuff in the US now (not sure if they're still making recip blades and hole saws here?):
20230723_204155.jpg

I know TTI is rebranding some NWS pliers from Germany as Milwaukee. TTI does not own NWS it is a simple purchase and rebrand, others and some screwdrivers are made in West Bend WI. You can tell the NWS pliers from the others by the "Solingen" marking.
I have mixed feeling about this, on one hand it is great they use US made steel and materials and put US workers to work but on the other hand the profits from this go straight to China and help support the CCP.
It is ironic that a Chinese company can spend 55 million to open a factory, use all USA made materials and use US workers and Craftsman spent 90 million and cant make a tool and closed the plant especially when the parent company also owns Facom who could have easily set up the operation.

WSJ had a similar article. Great intentions. $90 million invested.

But the bet on robotic production for what remains an art (forging) didn’t work out.

Among many other problems, without the cost savings from that automation, it wasn’t competitive.
Our addiction to the Chinese war machine shines in your last statement. Yeah I know Taiwan sells lots of stuff, etc. but the lack of ability to compete domestically is a big issue and may be a bigger one before long.

Last edited:
Not sockets but Milwaukee claims to be making some stuff in the US now (not sure if they're still making recip blades and hole saws here?):
The last time I bought Milwaukee 12" and 9" reciprocating pruning blades about a year or two ago, they were made in Switzerland. The Freud Diablo blades I bought 4 weeks ago were made in the USA and Switzerland.

The last time I bought Milwaukee 12" and 9" reciprocating blades about a year ago, they were made in Switzerland. The Freud Diablo blades I bought 4 weeks ago were made in the USA and Switzerland.
The Milwaukee hammer drill bits Ive bought have all been German made.

This might be a little off topic, but it does kind of relate.

I recently read of a report of a huge labor shortage in China coming around the bend. Sometime in the not to distant future, the "Made in China" label may start to become more of a rare thing.

It has to do with the one child mandate that they had going on for many years. Apparently their plan to reduce the population has worked, and they are almost ready to start seeing the effects of it.

I walked into my local Ace Hardware store today (they’ve got a total of 3 employees, closed Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday) and they had just got their weekly shipment from Mother Ace. In one of the totes, they had a few larger open-end wrenches ready to be accepted into inventory and then put on the shelf. The wrench I picked up was a brand new Craftsman 1 1/8”wrench. Me being curious about the COO, I had to look. It said it was made in India.

Last edited:
Our addiction to the Chinese war machine shines in your last statement. Yeah I know Taiwan sells lots of stuff, etc. but the lack of ability to compete domestically is a big issue and may be a bigger one before long.
Unlike some (or many) here, I am not convinced that we necessarily need to compete in this area. Fundamentally, economies can shift over time and they have.

Truthfully, I really have not seen any evidence that the USA made items are of better workmanship than the Taiwanese tools. Besides, tool design follows the manufacturer and design, not place of assembly.

Furthermore, Craftsman has always been a mid-grade brand that was priced appropriately. Given the costs of USA labor, it just doesn't make sense to produce a mid-grade line of tools in an area with high labor costs. Taiwan has always been the leader in this segment of the market and has executed it extremely well.

Unlike some (or many) here, I am not convinced that we necessarily need to compete in this area. Fundamentally, economies can shift over time and they have.

Going by that we dont need to compete in any area. It is about jobs period end of story, when companies produce an item the associated support businesses also produce materials and jobs.
Truthfully, I really have not seen any evidence that the USA made items are of better workmanship than the Taiwanese tools. Besides, tool design follows the manufacturer and design, not place of assembly.
Dont bother buying Snap on or any other tool truck brand, Japanese or German made tools then. Granted Taiwan is making some decent tools but Taiwan made tools do not do US workers any good. A country cannot thrive very long on a mostly service economy.

Furthermore, Craftsman has always been a mid-grade brand that was priced appropriately. Given the costs of USA labor, it just doesn't make sense to produce a mid-grade line of tools in an area with high labor costs. Taiwan has always been the leader in this segment of the market and has executed it extremely well.
Yes and no when they had a legit pro line they were made by manufacturers like SK, Western Forge, JH Williams, etc and they were better than mid grade tools. I still have a set of Craftsman pro wrenches that have a small "K" stamped in them, they are SK from a time when SK were still a premium brand.

Going by that we dont need to compete in any area.
Now you're being dramatic...

It is about jobs period end of story, when companies produce an item the associated support businesses also produce materials and jobs.
Manufacturing is not the only industry that provides jobs.

Dont bother buying Snap on or any other tool truck brand, Japanese or German made tools then.
Nowhere did I say that Taiwanese tools are the only tools that should be relevant. My point was that Taiwan is currently making the most cost-effective (and financially sustainable) mid-grade tools. The cost-structure makes sense. In order to compete at that price point, your manufacturing costs have to be competitive.

but Taiwan made tools do not do US workers any good. A country cannot thrive very long on a mostly service economy.
That is strictly your opinion.

Now you're being dramatic...
Oh I see disagree and you are being dramatic, look at the list of things that are no longer made in the USA from appliances, basic building materials, OPE, many car and machine parts, power tools. The problem is not just that the Chicoms have taken over the manufacturing but bought US companies to do it. Taiwan is done, one invasion and it will be controlled by the CCP.
Manufacturing is not the only industry that provides jobs.

Nowhere did I say that Taiwanese tools are the only tools that should be relevant. My point was that Taiwan is currently making the most cost-effective (and financially sustainable) mid-grade tools. The cost-structure makes sense. In order to compete at that price point, your manufacturing costs have to be competitive.

That is strictly your opinion.

Manufacturing is what provides the countries security and has provided security for other countries involved in conflict.
Imagine if in WWII The Germans and Japanese controlled controlled everything we buy.
Do a little research on service economies and their deindustrialization.

Manufacturing is what provides the countries security and has provided security for other countries involved in conflict.
Imagine if in WWII The Germans and Japanese controlled controlled everything we buy.
Do a little research on service economies and their deindustrialization.
That is a bit of a dated philosophy, but you're entitled to your opinion. Building an entire economy around manufacturing would essentially require compromises in other areas that we have made significant strides in. There is a lot of role sharing in modern day manufacturing as well - it isn't always realistic (or efficient) to have both the raw materials and the final assembly in a single country. And then we get back to the cost issue - it ultimately has to make sense.

That is a bit of a dated philosophy, but you're entitled to your opinion. Building an entire economy around manufacturing would essentially require compromises in other areas that we have made significant strides in. There is a lot of role sharing in modern day manufacturing as well - it isn't always realistic (or efficient) to have both the raw materials and the final assembly in a single country. And then we get back to the cost issue - it ultimately has to make sense.
Very true. Going back to a heavily manufacturing oriented economy would require compromises. Not that it’s not doable in a country of 350M people and lots of space. Germany and Japan are probably the two best examples of balance. And with much more in the way of population, space, energy, resources, etc., the USA certainly would have a different paradigm.

The de-industrialization is one of the major reasons why we have such an issue with the poor in this country. You could indeed point to drugs and fatherless homes, amongst other things, but if there were more opportunities to thrive in these areas, I suspect that some portion of the population in some areas may not be as downtrodden. The rest - well sooner or later they need to be dealt with, no? Or are we going to just let them slit their own throats? Or somebody else’s? Or just die from drugs? I don’t see a great option. And I’m not sure that the path of them only being able to find service oriented jobs which cycle money from other services, medical, and financial products is the right answer either.

Regarding cost and quality, I think it is pretty well established now that quality product can be made most anywhere, and it has always been the case that junk could be made anywhere too. The happy medium is a reasonably quality product, made domestically, not on a tiny island 3000+ miles away, that people can afford. Unfortunately it seems that the MBAs in this case couldn’t make the numbers work, but why? “Corporate greed”? Something else? It’s a lot of investment and money to walk away from.

There certainly is a jobs angle here, and a strategic angle. Every day in the news the Sabre rattlers talk more and more about the prospect of war with China. At minimum, the movement of China on the world stage as a peer competitor and dominant power. The inability of most to afford anything that isn’t pacific rim made, the centralization of so much manufacturing in one tiny locale that is so poorly located relative to the peer competitor, and the fact that we probably couldn’t bring manufacturing back in any timely manner is indeed a strategic issue, whether warnwith China breaks out of or not. This isn’t a production in Mexico to save labor cost type issue. This is much larger. And while both affect domestic jobs and domestic capability/output, one has more far-reaching effects.

I believe it was Cornwallis who recognized that after the war, Britain would have to trade with the people it was fighting. That sort of an angle may help in any Pacific issues that arise. But dominance on the world stage is a bigger issue here and tools is just one facet of that bigger issue at-large.

Continuing on with the slightly off topic direction, I wonder if our country could even provide enough workforce for substantially increased manufacturing.

I agree with others regarding the sadness of the Craftsman failure and the danger of our huge dependence on other countries for essential goods.

Less jobs for American workers.
True, but it probably depends upon what they wished to automate. Which I’m not sure we really know or understand…

Automation also brings skilled jobs, they’re just different. I don’t know what the ratio is for hands on jobs lost to automation vs the chain of upkeep and programming for the automation…

Back