No more USA made Craftsman from Texas

True, but it probably depends upon what they wished to automate. Which I’m not sure we really know or understand…

Automation also brings skilled jobs, they’re just different. I don’t know what the ratio is for hands on jobs lost to automation vs the chain of upkeep and programming for the automation…
I toured a new tubular plant nearby - 27 acres under roof - very automated - and very busy keeping up with high demand …
Thinking low cost hand tools just may not work here …

I toured a new tubular plant nearby - 27 acres under roof - very automated - and very busy keeping up with high demand …
Thinking low cost hand tools just may not work here …
Automation has its cost too. And did I hear it right they used some Eastern European equipment?

The Craftsman "Plant" in Ft. Worth just did finishing/assembly correct? I'm sure Ft. Worth/Tarrant County gave Stanley/B-D tax breaks....Guess that goes away? The plant/building is up by Alliance Airport which deals with a ton of Freight, Someone will occupy the space!!

That is a bit of a dated philosophy, but you're entitled to your opinion. Building an entire economy around manufacturing would essentially require compromises in other areas that we have made significant strides in. There is a lot of role sharing in modern day manufacturing as well - it isn't always realistic (or efficient) to have both the raw materials and the final assembly in a single country. And then we get back to the cost issue - it ultimately has to make sense.
It may be dated but that is the philosophy that made this country and every other first world country and it worked well.
Today all the chicoms have to do is stop shipping pharmaceuticals and a lot of people will die because they make so many of ours.
You cannot put the country at the mercy of the enemy and make no doubt about it China is an enemy that we are 100% going to have to fight the only question is when.

Back