Nitromethane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try Fuel Power (Odis Beaver) if you want some "Super Street" performance.

I prefer MMT for octane enhancement if that's what I need. I don't own any vehicles
that need octane ratings over 89.

For racing, I would use NOx injection, it's more controllable.

Fuel Power (FP) or MMT?

For FP, send a Personal Message (PM) to Terry Dyson for Odis' address.

MMT is Methyl Manganese Tricarbonyl used in most OTC octane boosters. I prefer Pennzoils variety which come in a package of 4 little metal cans, probably because they look like 0.50 cal BMG cartridges.

Straight up toluene is one of the most effective and economical octane boosters you can buy. It's normally in gas anyway; long discussions with various fuel engineers who work for some of the big 3 confirm that it's ok to run as much as 20-30% toluene for short periods. IIRC, the 'octane' rating is about 110, so you can calculate your resulting octane (at a particular proportion) by mixture law:

20%: 8 gallons of 92 = 736 'points'
2 gallons of 110 = 220 'points'
Total is 956 points, or 95.6 octane.

A good friend of mine runs a similar mixture in his 944 Turbo track car; says that the increased resistance to detonation allows him to run more timing for better midrange and top end and you gotta like that!

Robert

PS: KEEP IT OFF YOUR PAINT!

[ February 13, 2003, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: porterdog ]

Being a strong solvent, I would not use toluene for a daily driver, since it may cause reliability problems with fuel pumps and fuel dump valves at the TBI or FI.

Note: The following is for educational purposes only:

For my racing associates, I recommend a mix of 4 oz. of toluene, 2 oz. of Fuel Power, 1 oz. of Neutra, and one bottle of the Pennzoil Octane booster (with MMT) per 10 gallons of 90+ octane fuel. This puts the fuel in 110+ octane range. I really prefer the base fuel to be a 10% ethanol blend.

PS - I hope you have torqed the head bolts correctly and have used high quality head gaskets when running this mix.

[ February 13, 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back