Nissan Titan any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the commentary, guys.

I'm interested because the Titan would be one of the trucks id look at as a replacement, in case anything were to happen to my Tacoma.

I especially like the look of the Pro4X model. A guy at work has a clean black one with black leather interior. It's sweet.

The other truck of this type that Id look at would be the 1st Gen Tundra (2006 and prior).

Something did happen to the Tacoma- made in mexico now
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dfarr67
wink.gif

Ha!

There are some things about the 3rd Gen Tacomas (2016+) that would give me pause:

- 3.5L has less low-end torque than the 4.0L

- Reports of 6-speed auto hunting on highway

- Toyota changed from a spin-on oil filter, mounted on top of engine (what my truck has) to a cartridge-style, on bottom. And you have to remove a skid plate to get access.

- Very expensive.

- Cant get the 6-speed manual with Crew Cab and long bed.

You're talking to a guy with a 1990 4Runner 'project' turbo 22re, mt5. Hope to build harness and tune ecu this summer. Tech aside- new Toys just have fallen somewhat in the quality dept, their reputation has taken a hit..
Friend of mine bought a Frontier last summer- $10k difference to a Taco- don't know how closely they were optioned to each other- but he seems happy and no issues.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
wink.gif

Ha!

There are some things about the 3rd Gen Tacomas (2016+) that would give me pause:

- Toyota changed from a spin-on oil filter, mounted on top of engine (what my truck has) to a cartridge-style, on bottom. And you have to remove a skid plate to get access.

- Very expensive.

Yeah, the 3.5 seems to have been a miss but sometimes I wonder if it matters, it just spins higher. Now gear hunting though is annoying. As is dropping the skidplate, ya think they'd have at least drilled a hole or something. If I keep my Tundra I might zip a hole through the skidplate this summer.

Originally Posted by supton
wink.gif

Ha!

- Very expensive.

Yeah, the 3.5 seems to have been a miss but sometimes I wonder if it matters, it just spins higher. Now gear hunting though is annoying. As is dropping the skidplate, ya think they'd have at least drilled a hole or something. If I keep my Tundra I might zip a hole through the skidplate this summer.

A buddy of mine did just that with his Tundra. Used a hole saw.

I do think the 3.5 would be better with a manual trans, since it needs to spin higher. Probably would be fun. But my problem is, if I replaced my current 6-foot bed extended-cab Taco, I'd want a Crew Cab with a 6-foot bed, and you can't get that combo with a manual. So, I'd probably look for a different truck.

Or do what I did and replace the 340h auto with a MT5. Much better driving experience, fuel mileage and power. The haven't favoured [censored] transmissions since that one- never broke, just a power robbing dog when I had 115hp to start with.

Yeah, the 3.5 seems to have been a miss but sometimes I wonder if it matters, it just spins higher. Now gear hunting though is annoying.

I had a 2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road and the problem is the transmission programming. The 3.5L is fine in the Highlander and the Sienna (it's definitely a little low on torque), but the Tacoma wants to be in 6th gear constantly. Even the slightest incline would cause a downshift from 6th to 4th and rev the engine past 4k rpm. I haven't experienced that behavior in the Highlander or Sienna.

Originally Posted by glock19
Yeah, the 3.5 seems to have been a miss but sometimes I wonder if it matters, it just spins higher. Now gear hunting though is annoying.

I had a 2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road and the problem is the transmission programming. The 3.5L is fine in the Highlander and the Sienna (it's definitely a little low on torque), but the Tacoma wants to be in 6th gear constantly. Even the slightest incline would cause a downshift from 6th to 4th and rev the engine past 4k rpm. I haven't experienced that behavior in the Highlander or Sienna.

Probably just need to lock out 6th. If it stayed in 5th on the highway it might never downshift--I think their cruise control programming doesn't play well with the trans programming, a lag someplace that causes a double downshift. A shame since if top gear was deep enough to climb hills then it wasn't tall enough for flat ground--as we go forward, transmissions are simply going to be shifting "all the time" so as to get the lowest rpm for the load required. But it sure grates on the nerves...

Having an automatic gets rid of the clutch but sometimes I do just as much thinking about shifting as when I had a manual, maybe more!

Originally Posted by glock19

Probably just need to lock out 6th. If it stayed in 5th on the highway it might never downshift--I think their cruise control programming doesn't play well with the trans programming, a lag someplace that causes a double downshift. A shame since if top gear was deep enough to climb hills then it wasn't tall enough for flat ground--as we go forward, transmissions are simply going to be shifting "all the time" so as to get the lowest rpm for the load required. But it sure grates on the nerves...

Having an automatic gets rid of the clutch but sometimes I do just as much thinking about shifting as when I had a manual, maybe more!

Shifting a lot is fine. Heck I have a 10 speed in my truck now. It was unbearable for me in the Tacoma though. I'm not talking about cruise on a highway and approaching a big incline, I'm talking driving around town going 45 and hitting a tiny hill would send the engine revving to the stratosphere. The Tacoma doesn't have a lot of sound deadening either, so when that engine gets going it makes quite a cacophony. I don't feel like I should have to lock out 6th just to drive to the grocery store with an empty truck. It's really a shame because if the transmission shifted like my wife's Highlander it would be a sweet little truck. Unfortunately, I didn't take a thorough enough test drive and I payed for it, lesson learned.

If that is how Toyota tuned it- that's a shame, if there was a truck issue- surprised it couldn't be sorted locally (actually not surprised- best mechanics are not at the dealer). My chev was the opposite, in an effort to boost economy the trans would lock around town 50km/hr and with 3.42 gears- really made for an irritating experience. 3.73 gears solve a lot, a tune solved some more (lock up at 62 km/hr) and with a 385 stroker barely kicks down on any hill. The old Toyota with auto wouldn't get out of it's own way going up the Rockies- that was embarrassing.

I do think the 3.5 would be better with a manual trans, since it needs to spin higher. Probably would be fun. But my problem is, if I replaced my current 6-foot bed extended-cab Taco, I'd want a Crew Cab with a 6-foot bed, and you can't get that combo with a manual. So, I'd probably look for a different truck.

Unless it has a real granny gear, a low torque engine with a manual is real unpleasant to get moving. Especially in a heavy truck

Originally Posted by Miller88

Unless it has a real granny gear, a low torque engine with a manual is real unpleasant to get moving. Especially in a heavy truck

I doubt it's THAT bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back