Nissan Rogue 2024

At a minimum, a 3K OCI may not guarantee a 200k mi trouble free life. 3 cylinders, variable timing, direct injection and turbo a leaves very little for room for maintenance error. The sump pan is 5.0 qts is large. Surprisingly the 2.5L hold 5.4 qts.

Nissan also reduced the 10k OCI to 7.5k OCI for the turbo. They DI and turbo are stressful.

• 7,500 miles (12,000 km) for the KR15DDT engine.

Last edited:
I didn't realize the 3cyl GDI turbo, variable displacement engine was becoming the only engine for the Rogue now.

"I do cars" on youtube did an interesting tear-down of one of these engines recently.

Have you checked out what is required to do a diy oil and filter change? ~18 plastic push pin clips and 2-4 bolts must be removed along with entire engine protector/belly pan before accessing drain bolt and filter. And then there's the drain bolt location which for most using ramps (or jack stands), not optimal for full drain 'in my observation'.

If I was interested (I'm not) those would be a deal breaker 'for me".

Have you checked out what is required to do a diy oil and filter change? ~18 plastic push pin clips and 2-4 bolts must be removed along with entire engine protector/belly pan before accessing drain bolt and filter. And then there's the drain bolt location which for most using ramps (or jack stands), not optimal for full drain 'in my observation'.

Please euthanize me and end my automotive maintenance misery.
I not a Nissan fanboy and buy Toyota and Lexus.
Thank u for sharing and it is an atrocious prerequisite just to do ann oil change.

Last edited:
I didn't realize the 3cyl GDI turbo, variable displacement engine was becoming the only engine for the Rogue now.

"I do cars" on youtube did an interesting tear-down of one of these engines recently.
I am not sure if the 1.5L is the only choice.

Please post the autopsy link. I am keenly interested coming from a Toyota background,

Last edited:

It doesn't look as hard as it sounds, but it is absolutely moronic. I wonder how many of these loose there cover after their first speedy change?

I would just cut some access panels the first time around and call it good.

It doesn't look as hard as it sounds, but it is absolutely moronic....
Months ago I had viewed that video before commenting here. And 'to me' it's looks ridiculously and unnecessarily complex. Imo, it's just the cheapest way and cheapest materials Nissan could install for an "engine protector" without adding an opening for oil and filter change. And then there's the cheap plastic push pin clips that will break and need to be replaced.

As noted, would be a deal breaker for me so I don't have to worry about it.

Just wanted to alert others including the OP whose follow up conclusion with which I happen to agree.

It doesn't look as hard as it sounds, but it is absolutely moronic. I wonder how many of these loose there cover after their first speedy change?

I would just cut some access panels the first time around and call it good.

I did this exact thing with my 2004 Passat, 4 heavy zip ties and the drainplug was easy to access and then close up.

I've read complaints of excessive fuel dilution in this engine, plus reports of gasoline smell inside the cabin.

With that said, I put on about 750 miles on a rental Rogue last year and did not notice any gas smell. And it actually drove quite well and was reasonably peppy.

Thanks, this engine won the Wards’ 2022 10 best and the Chevy Vega won car of the year in 1970(?). I think twice. I don’t put much weight in these awards. The Toyota Corolla and the Datsun B210 did not even place.

lol

Reactions: JTK
Thanks, this engine won the Wards’ 2022 10 best and the Chevy Vega won car of the year in 1970(?). I think twice. I don’t put much weight in these awards. The Toyota Corolla and the Datsun B210 did not even place.

lol
You never want to be the first in anything. It makes you the beta tester. In 20 years every engine will likely have it - much like the first VVT was like 1980.

At a minimum, a 3K OCI may not guarantee a 200k mi trouble free life. 3 cylinders, variable timing, direct injection and turbo a leaves very little for room for maintenance error. The sump pan is 5.0 qts is large. Surprisingly the 2.5L hold 5.4 qts.

Nissan also reduced the 10k OCI to 7.5k OCI for the turbo. They DI and turbo are stressful.

• 7,500 miles (12,000 km) for the KR15DDT engine.

I've been a Nissan fan for many years, and owned eight. But, upon seeing, reading , and talking to mechanics about about the new Rogue, simply backed off. A number of writers and testers for various entities as J.D. Powers, and Consumers really down graded the new engines reliability and performance. It is a "Very" complex engine with virtually no after market expertise in performing internal engine work on the variable displacement engine. I've seen two engine break downs and they both exhibited accelerated engine wear at low mileage and had main bearing failure. The new powerplant has virtually identical performance as the older 2.5L (Which was extremely reliable). Increase in fuel econ. from 28/32 (2.5L) to 30-37 mpg. I looked around and decided on the Subaru Frontier. 0-60 times from the 2.5L to the 2L x 3 cyl. are identical (0-60 in 8 sec.). And the Subaru was the same 8 sec. 0-60. My intown fuel econ. is 35 mpg and 38 hwy. without the complexity or turbo charging, etc.

I looked around and decided on the Subaru Frontier.
Forester?

My intown fuel econ. is 35 mpg and 38 hwy. without the complexity or turbo charging, etc.
I have the same engine in a lighter/smaller Crosstrek, and can't get into 30s around town, even if I baby it. Granted, the CC2 tires aren't helping. I feel like I lost a few MPGs since I put them on.

Back