Nissan Corp falling off a cliff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Miller88
They have two vehicles that are of value to me, mainly because of price: Versa base model with manual trans and crank windows, and Titan XD Gas single cab long bed - it's one of the cheaper HD work trucks on the market.

I was poking around the last couple of nights, looking at Frontier. I think they're rare but you can get an I4/5MT/2WD King cab (aka extended cab) for under $20k supposedly. Seems like it gets reasonable reviews. Although it too has a horrible turning radius. But somehow its 2.5L avoids the pre-cat problem that the FWD 2.5's have, somehow. Anyhow, base/cheap truck, yesteryear technology. Wondering if I want to keep my potential list for the future.

I've seen some horrible reviews in regards to fit/finish on the base model 2.5L frontiers. There was also a guy here that posted his experience w/ pics of his new 2.5L Frontier. Things not attached properly, etc. On the other hand, the 4x4 crew cab models rarely have such issues, reported anyway. I'm with you though, the 2.5 5MT should be a bargain, but keep in mind, even one year old 4x4, 4.0L crew cabs can be had for $23-24K. My FIL bought a 2017 ex rental with 8K miles on it for just under $24K in 2018.

In regards to the whole Nissan thing, I like them because they make inexpensive used cars, which is what I typically buy.

Why Nissan is hanging on with the sedans I have no idea. Pretty sure only rental companies have been using them. Even the Murano and Pathfinder. Who's buying those? It seems as if the Rogue (and variants) is what is keeping them afloat.

Oh I doubt I'd buy new. From what I've read, Nissan has more typical depreciation (as opposed to Toyota!) thus 2-3 year old ones might be a good buy (maybe even 5-10, dunno). I'd rather have the 4.0 for power though.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Elkins45
I bought a 2017 Titan 4x4 based on a combination of price and the long warranty. So far it's been flawless, but the warranty won't mean much if the company doesn't exist anymore. Fingers crossed...

The good news is that there's no way my truck is lower quality than a Ford/Chevy/Dodge. And it was made in Mississippi so at least I paid an American to build it.

I guess these trucks are so bad that's why they sell in such greater numbers than Nissan's trucks. BTW-The majority of Americans don't care where their vehicles are manufactured. There are many issues on the Titan boards with the XD (especially diesels) in the first couple of model years.

A lot of "truck people" still have it built into their DNA that they must buy from the big 3. So do fleet managers. Think about how strong a reputation for quality Toyota has and then compare Tundra sales to Silverado or F-150.

Originally Posted by Ammofirst
Have you actually "SEEN" a Nissan lately ? Their entire lineup (cars, trucks, suv) looks like they were beaten to within an inch of their lives with an ugly stick made out of depleted uranium. Some are obviously worse than others but good God have you seen the front end on their new pickup ?

And these look good to you? The Frontier is over due for a redesign and the Titan isn't going to win any beauty contests but none of these trucks has someone sitting in the garage staring in awe all night . The ugly stick got passed around.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mercedes is using the Navara as a base for it's ute. Not selling well....I think people realise that's a lot of money to pay for a Nissan with a fancy badge.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by CKN
I bought a 2017 Titan 4x4 based on a combination of price and the long warranty. So far it's been flawless, but the warranty won't mean much if the company doesn't exist anymore. Fingers crossed...

The good news is that there's no way my truck is lower quality than a Ford/Chevy/Dodge. And it was made in Mississippi so at least I paid an American to build it.

I guess these trucks are so bad that's why they sell in such greater numbers than Nissan's trucks. BTW-The majority of Americans don't care where their vehicles are manufactured. There are many issues on the Titan boards with the XD (especially diesels) in the first couple of model years.

A lot of "truck people" still have it built into their DNA that they must buy from the big 3. So do fleet managers. Think about how strong a reputation for quality Toyota has and then compare Tundra sales to Silverado or F-150.

^This.
You ain't gonna see your average terrorist putting GS-23 on big 3.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
While many still remain skeptical of Ford's decision to slash their whole car lineup, slowly it looks like other brands are following suit with the same transition. Would imagine its only a matter of time before we see the Altima or Maxima on the chopping block.

What WAS Nissan known for? Cheap, affordable entry level vehicles. and outdated, basic off road designs.

Now I'm reading Nissan wants to "upscale" their Sedans!!!! Yeah, like that will work.....

Meanwhile Nissan treats their suppliers like dog food. Serious changes need to happen, the Japanese need to grow some balls and bring this company back roaring!

Hint: build SOME cars (japan design) in the U.S. using U.S. suppliers and don't be dinking around every 6 months for a price reduction. Upscale means U.S./Canada/Japan/Germany built cars.

Oh FFS. Another entry level brand thinking their crap is worthy of the "premium" tag and higher price for lots of standard electronic quickly obsolete electronic gadgets and cheap flash on the exterior..Premium, yeahhhhhhhhhhh.

How about design back in the practical aspects of a sedan that made them popular: like visibility, room, no more 4 door coupe like styling unless you're going to put a hatch in that fastback, ease of entry and exit.

I swear, the first company that puts a proper trunk on a Ram, Ranger or Colorado will create a "brand new" segment for themselves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Have you actually "SEEN" a Nissan lately ? Their entire lineup (cars, trucks, suv) looks like they were beaten to within an inch of their lives with an ugly stick made out of depleted uranium. Some are obviously worse than others but good God have you seen the front end on their new pickup ?

And these look good to you? The Frontier is over due for a redesign and the Titan isn't going to win any beauty contests but none of these trucks has someone sitting in the garage staring in awe all night . The ugly stick got passed around.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Rebel is the ugliest version of the RAM
lol.gif

The Sport looks WAY better:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think Chevy has to ditch that front fender …
Best to avoid chrome … or at least limit to silver paint … need that grill to join the truck

3D94B8B9-E4C7-43B6-BAC5-975CAD31A408.jpeg

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 4WD
Ahhh … a monotone paint brother! Chrome R not us !

thumbsup2.gif
Indeed sir
cheers3.gif

Yes! +100
Chrome plated door handles, mirrors, and grills the size of a surfboard.....NO THANKS!
Gold, diamond-studded teeth, anyone?

However, I do appreciate the tasteful chrome trim on older, classic vehicles.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by AZjeff

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Rebel is the ugliest version of the RAM
lol.gif

The Sport looks WAY better:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah don't hire AZjeff as a wedding photographer haha. I like the Ram out of the 3, and the Ford reminds me of a Titian.

Had an 02 Maxima, tons of power, looked good, and engine/tranny ran great for 130K. Unfortunately the north east rust was overwhelming the car.

I hear the CVT is the reason Nissan is getting slaughtered.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Yeah don't hire AZjeff as a wedding photographer haha. I like the Ram out of the 3, and the Ford reminds me of a Titian.

I see a lot more Rebel Rams around here than Sport Rams. Someone likes them.

Haha, Azjeff had a long career as a photographer before moving SW and doing other things. If you like all black this Midnight Edition isn't bad. I don't like black wheels so I'm going for a 10.30 edition with my gunmetal grey Titan.

[Linked Image]

I think the Rebel looks just fine, and again, most car or truck designs work best in certain colors … Also, bear in mind there have been a mix of 2500 and 1500 trucks posted …

A white HD series with an all black grill can easily prove my point …

In the US, Nissan is chasing after rental lots, and by extension Uber drivers. Almost like what nearly killed Mitsu in the 2000s. Nissan does make money in Asia, India, and South America with older cars. Their plant in Mexico was still building the 1990-1994 Sentra as the Tsuru. It was as popular as the VW Bug down there.

Most of Nissan's line-up needs a desperate refresh and while Nissan's quality and engineering was second or third-tier compared to Toyota and Honda, the cost cutting after Carlos Ghosn took the helm(he was called Le Cost Cutter at Michelin and Renault) didn't help either. And Nissan's operations in Tennessee and Mississippi are mostly staffed by temps from Kelly. There's not that many salaried employees at a Nissan plant and those temps did try to unionize the Canton, MS plant.

If I was the CEO of Nissan, I'd whittle down the lineup. Infiniti would cease to exist, they really haven't had anything relevant outside of the G3x/Q50 and Lexus ate their lunch from the starting chutes. The GT-R would be killed, or redeveloped into what it represented in the 1990s for Nissan - an affordable, decently well-performing sports car with lots of aftermarket support and I would court Mitsu to Hyundai or FCA.

The latest news is reporting that Nissan is going to cut production as well as implement layoffs. This will include some models of Infiniti as well. The Maxima is looking to be discontinued. They are putting the brakes on in all aspects.

The biggest reason Mitsubishi Motors almost ranked in the early 2000's was their 0% finance plan that included no payments for 24 months. A lot of people took advantage of that and turned the cars back in at the two year mark. Any sane person would have predicted that mess.

Incidentally, I purchased a new Montero Sport during that time but I bucked the trend and made extra payments during the 0% phase. After that was over I financed for 24 months and finished the loan. I remember around 2003-4 and so on how crowded that dealers lot was with used cars. That was the beginning of the end for MMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back