Newspaper delivery now lousy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
One of my favorite things in the world is waking up,walking outside to get my paper,bringing it inside,unwrapping it,and reading it cover to cover with a hot cup of coffee.

All you need is some fresh donuts. Then wash em down with the coffee. I might get one tomorrow. I think I'm the only one that goes there and orders just one. I know if I order more I'll want to plow through them.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My paper is laying at my garage door by 06:00 every morning. Same carrier for 15 years. I realize I’m fortunate to have him.

My dad would tip $100 every year for Christmas to his newspaper delivery guy.

And yes, most people who still read newspapers are in the 55+ age group.

Our delivery is ok, has slipped in quality over the years, sometimes pretty low, but for awhile he hasn't missed a day. I think he drives a Prius.
(When I was young every driveway had 1 newspaper delivered, and one or two had multiples. Now, I ipad the newspaper, my wife likes the printed version, and I really don't have any time to read for pleasure.)

We used to get the local free paper every Saturday, but we don't seem to get it any more. I'm assuming they don't have enough drivers and we're out of town so they don't make it here. Was nice getting all the Sunday sale ads on Saturday, but I can't complain since it was free in the first place.

Paper delivery can also be a dangerous job. One day a couple years ago as I was leaving for work the paper guy rolled through the stop sign down the road just as he probably did every morning. Unfortunately, this time he did it right in front of a 1-ton pickup. After listening to a recording of the police and fire audio, I determined that I did CPR on him inside the car for 12 minutes. The fire chief arrived and we were able to pull him out of the car. The paramedics pronounced him DOA.

I've never had a newspaper delivered in my life, my parents did, but I don't see the need. We get the free local rag, sometimes...I prefer when we don't, one less thing to get rid of.

I'm 35, and still read the newspaper on every flight that I take.

Always pick up a local and a national newspaper before a flight and give it a read.

I don't order it at home.

Stopped home delivery several years ago due to bad delivery. I got talked into a 12-week, Sunday-only trial with one of the Chicago papers and I quit after 6 weeks.

Week 1, paper delivered
Week 2, no paper even after I called to complain
Week 3, paper delivered
Week 4, paper delivered
Week 5, no paper even after I called to complain
Week 6, paper delivered, kind of. The paper came out of the bag and it was raining so none of it blew away but it wasn't readable.

I'm out shopping on Saturday and Menards generally has the paper for a discounted price so if I go there I get a copy, and if not, I don't. Works so far.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Never had a paper subscription. I don'w want to fund the propaganda. I hope the papers go under.

Yep, I totally agree. Local paper skyrocketed from .75 cents to $1.50 daily and no Saturday paper anymore. They wonder why no one buys a paper subscription LOL!

I used to get my paper between 0500-0530. Now, I'm lucky if I get it by 0645 and if it's not here by then, I am otherwise engaged and can't get it until 0900 which is very inconvenient. The guy who brings it is driving either his SUV or a late model Dodge Challenger, so it doesn't strike me as cost-effective.

Omaha World Herald delivery was excellent for years, but the last four years have not been what I would call great. I'm in my eighties so I ask for paper to be placed on porch. Delivery guy pulls up to porch as close as he can and does a hook shot over his pickup. Paper sometimes strikes door making a WHAPP. Other times paper bounces off of siding leaving black marks. Local manager's attitude is take it or leave it. Finding warm bodies to deliver paper seems to be a major challenge in our area and almost anyone wi Signs of the time I guess. Next thing will be trying to converse with some dude in India or Pakistan.

Back in the 90's when I was a kid, being a paper boy for the Buffalo Evening News was actually a pretty good gig.

I would make $150 per week, and had a double route.

I would deliver the paper in a news branded pull wagon.

It was part of my job to collect money for subscriptions at the age of 15. It was always fun to hunt people down because they owed you $7 per month or whatever it was.

I'm surprised I didn't get mugged, I would walk around with $300-$500 in cash regularly.

A few years after I quit the route, it started being delivered by adults in cars, who would deliver many routes at once.

Major newspaper leaders say that in 10 more years, home delivery will cease. Doing so may force a stoppage of all printed newspapers, even those being sold in bulk to places like Senior Living, Nursing Homes, Hospitals.....etc.

PLUS..... everyone will pay out-of-pocket, to read major papers online... in only several more years. Otherwise.... Access Denied!

My adblocker here is off and I click-on the Pennzoil ad above. I'm just surprised that lately it's the only ad appearing at this website. There used to be multiple ads that appeared. But lately, just the same Pennzoil add over & over again.

But I still click on it - to support this website.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back