New Valvoline?

Received an email from Valvoline today.

The Original. Better Than Ever.
Valvoline motor oil has been reformulated to even provide better protection against the four major causes of engine breakdown - heat, friction, wear, and deposits. Because an original never stops improving.

So what was reformulated other than their marketing?

As stated they have 7 new tests to pass with SP GF-6A. What they just said was, "Our old oil wasn't good enough to pass".

Although in all fairness I doubt many conventionals and blends were. Possibly Pennzoil Gold might have been.

Marketing. Valve covers have been removed to show virtually no wear when proper OCI, good syn oil and good filter have been used. I don't think adding 1 ppm more calcium or moly is going to matter in the long run.

I noticed Valvoline's latest spec info sheet on their 5W-30 'Advanced' full synthetic formula just shows <15% for the Noack, where back in Feb 2020 it showed 9.3% ... and the 5W-30 'Advanced' HTHS went from 3.2 to 3.1. Wonder if they are messing with the formulation - ??

I noticed Valvoline's latest spec info sheet on their 5W-30 'Advanced' full synthetic formula just shows

In a thread from a few months ago I questioned whether the testing for NOACK has changed with SP/GF6. Valvoline's 5w20 went from having among the lowest NOACK values for a 20 weight oil currently available with their SN PLUS versions and now all of a sudden they are
I presume to think that there is more to this story that simply has not been revealed for public consumption. I surmise that testing has changed and the definitive results are just not available as of yet, however, the approved oils likely passed some preliminary screening to make sure that they passed the industry benchmark for NOACK being 15%.

With the advent of DEXOS 1 gen 3 NOACKis set @ <12.5 . API is more generic @ 15% . So please don't jump the gun . SPis a better blend than SN +

In a thread from a few months ago I questioned whether the testing for NOACK has changed with SP/GF6. Valvoline's 5w20 went from having among the lowest NOACK values for a 20 weight oil currently available with their SN PLUS versions and now all of a sudden they are
I presume to think that there is more to this story that simply has not been revealed for public consumption. I surmise that testing has changed and the definitive results are just not available as of yet, however, the approved oils likely passed some preliminary screening to make sure that they passed the industry benchmark for NOACK being 15%.
Or it could just be that more manufactures are sharing less detail? There was a time when Castrol didn't even include all of the KV@100C info in their data sheets. It was something like KV @ 100C for a 5W-30 was "minimum 9.3" or "9.3>" (I forget which). Mobil 1 is also sharing much less info since the switch to SP.

Or it could just be that more manufactures are sharing less detail? There was a time when Castrol didn't even include all of the KV@100C info in their data sheets. It was something like KV @ 100C for a 5W-30 was "minimum 9.3" or "9.3>" (I forget which). Mobil 1 is also sharing much less info since the switch to SP.

The information is very likely to come back if we press them for it. Competition is a wonderful thing for consumers. Just say something like this on your call or email. Well I'd like to buy your product but you aren't supplying information I've requested so I'm going to your competitor.

Last edited:

I also noticed with the Valvoline 5W-30 Advanced, the zinc and phosphorous ppm went up with the SP/GF6 rating - zinc went from 830 to 940 and phosporous went from 760 to 800. So apparently they have changed the formulation some. Wondering what happened in the Moly department. Maybe someone will do a VOA soon for a comparison. Wonder if any of the old ILSAC GF-5/SN+ is still on the shelves.

Wonder if any of the old ILSAC GF-5/SN+ is still on the shelves.

I have seen plenty of it still available at Walmart and Meijer as well as random parts stores. They are all being sold right along side the SP/GF6 versions that are trickling in with the little stickers designating the new, improved formula.

Back