New Unifi kit introduced: UDM Pro MAX

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
UniFi Dream Machine Pro Max - Tech Specs (ui.com)

This is (mostly) a step-up from the UDM SE (which I have) with the exception of the deletion of the PoE and PoE+ ports.

It's claimed to be able to handle double the number of Unifi devices, 200 instead of 100, and offers higher IDS/IPS throughput at 5Gbps vs 3.5Gbps for the UDM SE.

It has a faster CPU: ARM Cortex A57 @ 2.0Ghz vs 1.7Ghz for the UDM SE
It has double the RAM: 8GB vs 4GB in the UDM SE
It ha twice the flash: 32GB vs 16GB in the UDM SE

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 12.46.33 PM.jpg

With the availability of faster and faster fibre connections being offered by ISP's, there has been a considerable surge in the introduction of devices with considerably higher throughput than their predecessors. I'm seeing this from Meraki, Juniper, Palo Alto and now, in the "Prosumer" realm, Unifi.

The approach taken here seems a bit like a "half measure", since it's the same CPU as the SE, just clocked higher. I expect this means that there will be a completely overhauled unit coming down the pipe in the next year or two.

no 2.5Gb on the LAN side is criminal. Lots of fiber packages higher than 1Gb these days. I guess you could use the SFP port but at these teirs it should be specced higher.

edit. Though I suppose its not really geared for home use.

This is a bit of a WTH(what the heck?) moment in their decision process IMO.

Feature list:
1.Professional-grade, rack-mount Cloud Gateway with 10 Gbps performance, multi-WAN load balancing, and two NVR drive bays designed for large-scale, multi-application UniFi sites.
chip.svg
2. Enhanced computing power and memory for 2x the UniFi device and client capacity of Dream Machine Pro/SE
apps.svg
Includes full UniFi application suite for device management
streams.svg
5 Gbps routing with IDS/IPS
rj45_port.svg
3. (1) 10G SFP+*, (8) GbE RJ45 LAN ports
sfp.svg
4. (1) 10G SFP+*, (1) 2.5 GbE RJ45 WAN ports
hdd.svg
5. (2) 3.5" NVR HDD bays with RAID data protection
ssd.svg
6. Built-in 128 GB SSD for NVR detection recordings
display.svg
7. 1.3" touchscreen

I have added numbers to their feature list.

1. all 3 udm pro models have 10bit sfp+ ports.
2. who has more than 100 unifi devices? not me.
5gbit/s ids/ips is nice but I dont believe it off a 20% upclock 50% more performance?.. and how useful is that?
double ram.. I dont run out now.

3. all udm pro's have it
4. All udm pros have it.
5. all have at least 1 bay this is only useful if you use it as NVR.. (I dont)
6. who needs this with a drive bay? Throw in your own SSD for 30$ if needed.
7. All udm pro have this.

So what you end up with is a feature deleted vs the udm pro SE(no poe) and barely an upgrade vs the udm pro.. yet costs significantly more.

Summary: M E H!.
They should have moved on from the 12 year old CPU and gave it full 10GBIT IDS/IPS and a 2.5gbit poe(or no poe) switch
it would have been worth the new price and more.

You can use the second SFP+ port to connect to a 10gbit equipped switch.. but with the price premium and lack of upgrades.. couldnt recommend over other cheaper models.

no 2.5Gb on the LAN side is criminal. Lots of fiber packages higher than 1Gb these days. I guess you could use the SFP port but at these teirs it should be specced higher.

edit. Though I suppose its not really geared for home use.
Yeah, they expect you to use the SFP+ I assume for LAN connectivity. Bell offers up to 8Gbit fibre here now (I'm on 1.5/1) so the need is definitely there for devices faster than this one.

Yeah, they expect you to use the SFP+ I assume for LAN connectivity. Bell offers up to 8Gbit fibre here now (I'm on 1.5/1) so the need is definitely there for devices faster than this one.
and the new model's ids/ips couldn't keep up with that.
I'll take another UDM PRO at last years BF price of $279.. they were still making money at that price.
This new model should have been $449 and replaced the UDM pro

They would have been far better to release a new version of the UDM (non_pro) at 299 with this processor, 2 poe ports and a built-in wifi 6 or 7ap.

Back