new trailer... my Subaru H4 needs your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: webfors
Just got back from a kayak camping adventure up in Frontenac county! Wonderful country! What a great time
grin2.gif

I think I'll go ahead with the SL 10w40 for towing season and continue using my 5w30 stash in the fall/winter/spring.

I agree I could use T6, but I won't be going past the 3750 mile warranty oci, so it's probably a waste. I really have turned the corner on using conventional over synthetic when it comes to short OCIs. When I'm out of warranty I'll reconsider and extend my OCI accordingly.

Excellent! How did the Subaru do towing?

Also you really need to post photos of the rig and trailer!
48.gif

Take care, bill

I'd use a heavier oil as per the manual. say 15w-40... there is a good reason they recommend it, even if you only tow occasionally. and if it is summer, cold starts don't matter. in winter, you don't tow, so go back to 5w-30... (toyota down here even int he latest model cars do NOT recommend 5w-30 above 7 degrees C!)

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Just got back from a kayak camping adventure up in Frontenac county! Wonderful country! What a great time
grin2.gif

I think I'll go ahead with the SL 10w40 for towing season and continue using my 5w30 stash in the fall/winter/spring.

I agree I could use T6, but I won't be going past the 3750 mile warranty oci, so it's probably a waste. I really have turned the corner on using conventional over synthetic when it comes to short OCIs. When I'm out of warranty I'll reconsider and extend my OCI accordingly.

Excellent! How did the Subaru do towing?

Also you really need to post photos of the rig and trailer!
48.gif

Take care, bill

Haven't towed with it yet. The trip above was kayak camping. Just put the boats on the roof and off we went.

My first tow will be the weekend of May 8th, where I'll be towing the new trailer, with the full clan, up to Algonquin Park for a couple of nights.

Just changed the oil last night to Motomaster F1 10w40, which I believe is rebadged Formula Shell. Tranny fluid is going to be changed Saturday, spring boosters will be installed before the trip to keep the back level, and that should do it.

I'll definitely post pics when I have it hooked up.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
I'd use a heavier oil as per the manual. say 15w-40... there is a good reason they recommend it, even if you only tow occasionally. and if it is summer, cold starts don't matter. in winter, you don't tow, so go back to 5w-30... (toyota down here even int he latest model cars do NOT recommend 5w-30 above 7 degrees C!)

Agreed. I think Rotella or Delo 15w40 is probably the best choice for the price and oci. I'll be picking some up when I visit upstate NY on the weekend.

T6 5w40. 1500 pounds is a breeze to tow. But when you load it up with dishes, lanterns, clothes, and food, you will add another 300 pounds. Still, 2k behind your Subaru isn't much. I bet there have been times when you have had friends in the vehicle that totalled 1000 pounds :). Just don't exceed the GCWR of the vehicle, and keep the tires inflated to the max on the sidewall.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle/gcwr.htm

Keep us posted on how the towing goes. I towed a guesstimated 2,000 pounds from the twisty mountains of Western VA to Westchester county, NY and it was a breeze.

I think having a turbo made it easier. That was turbo #1.

-Dennis

Last edited:
We regularly tow an 1100lb motorcycle/trailer combo behind our 05 FXSLLB 4EAT (56k). Living in central TX, I use max 6k OCI's and run M1 5w30 winter and M1 5w40 in hot months. I change the diff's (F&R) annually using M1 75w90 and do 4qt auto tranny drain and refills (Castrol Multi) at the 6k engine OCI. ATF doesn't smell, looks new, gear changes are smooth.

I installed Fumoto DV's on both the Oil Pan and tranny drain. Makes it a breeze
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Update: Had my first test tow yesterday. The trailer was packed for camping, minus a cooler. I threw 2 40 pound bags of sand in the back of the car to simulate misc stuff. The car itself pulled perfectly. Peppy, excellent control, and excellent braking. I installed and configured the Prodigy brake controller and it works very well. In fact I feel very little difference in braking with the trailer behind me.

The *only* issue I have is the sag in the back end, which is normal when under load. Heck, I've seen the back lower on road trips with 2 friends, 3 kayaks, and full gear and *no* trailer. After doing a little more research I've concluded the sag can be eliminated with a simple torsion bar setup, which might just make this Subaru the perfect little tow vehicle.

I'm sticking with the 10W40 in it now but purchased one of those pretty 2.5 gallon jugs of Rotella T for the next OCI.

And so far, the 40 weight dino feels great in this car.

I've brought this up before.... note the Starburst requirement COUPLED with API SM.

The fine Rotella oils mentioned to not have the Starburst label.

My biggest question/concern would be the fact that the dual rated CJ4/SM oils are API SM SECONDARILY which means they can exploit a loophole in having higher add levels than a sole API SM rated oil. i.e. Emission systems fouling.

The *only* issue I have is the sag in the back end, which is normal when under load. Heck, I've seen the back lower on road trips with 2 friends, 3 kayaks, and full gear and *no* trailer. After doing a little more research I've concluded the sag can be eliminated with a simple torsion bar setup, which might just make this Subaru the perfect little tow vehicle.

32.gif

Although I've never seen them in action, the self-leveling springs that were on the LL Bean model would probably help with a saggy rear.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back