New to me Harley CVO Streetglide

Is he referring to the feature that shuts down the rear cylinder, when it gets to a certain temperature ?. That was designed into the bike ,so that if your sitting in traffic for long periods of time you won't get cooked. Any bike can get hotter than you can stand if left to idle for extended periods. That's more annoying to the rider, than the bike.,,

I'm also spring loaded to the sport position but when offered I do have an open mind...

Dealer offers me a "no sign" Vrod Test Hop...
RSjfu5t.jpg
No .no. no! That isn't you.

Get the biggest auxiliary oil cooler(s) you can stand to put on it. A good friend of mine is the preeminent designer and manufacturer of H-D cams in the world and he runs dual oil coolers on both his personal Harleys. I was flabbergasted when he told me how brutally hard Harley's are on motor oil. He explained to me how hot Harley heads and jugs get in hot weather. They can get nearly twice as hot as most liquid cooled engines get That's why you'll never see anything other than 20w-50 speced for the air-cooled Harleys.

Harley engines getting hot in hot weather, isn't anything new. There are alot of UOA'S for Harley engines listed here, that show they really aren't that hard on oil. It seems most owners run synthetic oils in their bikes, and according to the mfgrs and Blackstone labs, they can handle the heat for 5k mile oci's. I've personally owned several Harley's that did not have a factory supplied oil coolers on them, and they lasted upward of 90k miles without engine failure. I know I'm not the only guy that has experienced that. As long as your bike is moving thru air, the oil is going to run at the temps the factory feels is fine for it. It wasn't designed to sit and idle for half an hour. An oil cooler will only add maybe a qt of extra oil to the bikes capacity, but it will also get hot if left to idle for long periods.,,

Back