New to me 07 Chevy Suburban what do I need to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I will never understand some people's need to 'punish' themselves - buying an 11-year old truck with 167k, a ticking engine, AND a CEL on, in a time of rapidly rising gas prices??

What you need to know: You have bought a gas-guzzling money pit. Congrats!

WOW very ignorant comment !!!! You obviously live in some "Sheltered bubble" and have NO CLUE what some trucks/SUVS are meant for ???

167K is nothing for a 5.3 vortec and that ticking sound is common, most of time is piston slap

Fuel prices are irrelevant, People have different lifestyles/needs. Can your tiny subcompact Kia tow a boat or heavy cargo or haul 7 people........NO

I bought my Suburban with 195K miles it needed work and had some lifter knock, But 4 years/55K miles later it still runs great been all over usa never let me down !!

You said it yourself, "You will never understand"

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: will1780
First time Chevy owner. 07 Suburban LT 5.3
Purchased at auction with 167k on the clock. Hear a lifter tick for sure and the CEL code is for an evap leak. First thing on agenda is the lifter tick, complete tune up, CEL and detail. Anything else I should keep An eye on with these suv’s?

No personal experience with the newer GM SUVS, besides the usual AFM stuff I hear here. From what I read here, the ultimate fix is to swap in the non-AFM lifters, maybe a camshaft if it's too worn and in any case, a custom PCM tune to disable AFM.

What's the DTC for the EVAP issue? It can be something as simple as a broken/cracked hose or a bad EVAP module/solenoid/wiring.

I'd also change the driveline fluids as well, as maligned the 4L6xE is here or if GM decided to migrate to the new 6-speed 6L80E, fresh fluids can't hurt and I'm sure GM had time to fix the issues that plagued the 4L6x trannies early in their life span.

Originally Posted By: GMguy84
I will never understand some people's need to 'punish' themselves - buying an 11-year old truck with 167k, a ticking engine, AND a CEL on, in a time of rapidly rising gas prices??

WOW very ignorant comment !!!! You obviously live in some "Sheltered bubble" and have NO CLUE what some trucks/SUVS are meant for ???

167K is nothing for a 5.3 vortec and that ticking sound is common, most of time is piston slap

Fuel prices are irrelevant, People have different lifestyles/needs. Can your tiny subcompact Kia tow a boat or heavy cargo or haul 7 people........NO

I bought my Suburban with 195K miles it needed work and had some lifter knock, But 4 years/55K miles later it still runs great been all over usa never let me down !!

You said it yourself, "You will never understand"

Dave

I have to agree with GMguy.

Most people who buy Suburban's use them for long trips as they need a lot more room then a Soul. Plus if you are out there running down the highway surrounded by tractor trailers [which you are the bulk of the time] I would think most people would rather be in a Suburban then in a Soul. Seems I see more and more Suburban's and Yukon's on the road everyday on I-95 from Miami-NYC. I have rented a ton of Suburban's before buying my Tahoe and the Suburban is the best vehicle for long trips with a large family.

I am sure once the issues get cleared up in his Suburban he will be good to go for years to come.

You drive a Kia Soul? That's way more punishment than an old Suburban.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back