new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need assistance with tires. I have a 1987 mercedes benz 500 SEL and need new tires. Did a little research on Goodyear Eagle GT and BFGoodrich Touring T/A Pro Series. Looked at Sam's/Costo/WalMart. I have no idea how to make a decision and would like to know a little before I purchase. Feedback is greatly appreciated.
Not sure if this is the right place to get feedback.

Spare us the effort of looking up the size tire you need by just telling us.

I just ordered the BFG Advantage TA's at Sams. Not sure if they come in your size, and it'll be a week before I can enlighten you with my opinion. But, I didn't want to buy Bridgestones or Goodyears again, and Sams has 50 bucks off four BFG's. I wasn't too impressed ithe the Touring TA's, and Sams only had the Traction TA's in T speed rating (which they won't put on my car).

There are tons of good cheap tire choices. Are you sold on Sams, and what are you looking for in the tires (performance, comfort)?

I'm embarrassed that I don't know. When I looked it up I found 205/65-15 quoted as a tire size. Not sold on anything just thought it would be easy. I would like a good tire that offers a good ride but can't go with the top price. I'm a social worker and travel to pt's homes and frequently they are on dirt roads so something durable. Live in Texas so not a lot of snow or ice.

Originally Posted By: rallye56
I have no idea how to make a decision and would like to know a little before I purchase.

Head on over to www.tirerack.com and read up on user's reviews of those tires. Not ideal, but it's a start, if you're just trying to narrow it down. You may even find reviews by drivers of the same car as yours.

And unless you tell us what your priorities are and what you expect from a tire, it's hard to recommend anything. Tire size would help as well.

Is it really 500 SEL or 560 SEL?

As for specific tires in the lower price range category, General Altimax RT seems to be well-received.

Last edited:
Depends on what you want:

Performance
Ride quality
mileage
Dry performance
Wet performance

Michelins are almost always at the top pf the tire chain.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I think you are looking at too "low" performance tires. For your car, you need Goodyear GS-D3s or Michelin PS2s. I personally would go with the Goodyears.

Neither one is available in size 205/65/15, if that is in fact his size.

Besides, somehow I doubt a social worker driving a 22-year-old cruiser on dirt roads needs a top of the line, max performance summer tire. I'd guess an all-season would suit him better as it would offer longer wear, and probably more comfy ride.

Some good choices:

1. Michelin Hydroedge
2. Hankook Optimo H727
3. Michelin Primacy MXV4
4. Michelin Piolt Exalto A/S
5. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
6. Pirelli P-Zero
7. Pirelli P4 Four Seasons
8. Goodyear Assurance triple tread

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I think you are looking at too "low" performance tires. For your car, you need Goodyear GS-D3s or Michelin PS2s. I personally would go with the Goodyears.

Neither one is available in size 205/65/15, if that is in fact his size.

Besides, somehow I doubt a social worker driving a 22-year-old cruiser on dirt roads needs a top of the line, max performance summer tire. I'd guess an all-season would suit him better as it would offer longer wear, and probably more comfy ride.

He lives in Texas. But I now see it is a 1987 car, so either of his choices are GOOD tires. I ran the B F Goodrich on several cars years ago, they are fine.

if you drive it like you stole it, (fast) you would want H rated tires. I'm guessing from your entry that you just want decent, middle of the road tires. The BFG's are OK in that regard although I may lean towards the Goodyears. I know that Goodyears get a fair amount of bashing from some people - but the stock Goodyears on my Intrepids were Alot better than any other tire I have had on there. anyway, do you have access to consumer reports? you likely wont go wrong with any mid-priced tire. I've also had goodyears on quite a few other cars/trucks.

Last edited:
I had some great BFG touring tires from Sam's a decade ago. Their name keeps changing but they weren't that expensive and they did everything well.

Thanks for the feedback.
The he is a she and you are right abt it being 560 SEL. It is still a great car. My top priority is durability and safety. This gives me a lot to research. There is just so much info out there that I get a little bogged down.
I will look at C-Rpt.

One of the best all season tires is Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position, it is only $66 at TireRack for size 205/65-15 and UTQG is 400 AA A.
BFGoodrich Advantage T/A is another good all season tire for a few dollars more($69), tread wear is rated at 560.
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum is another good all season tire for a few dollars more ($76), tread wear is rated at 600.

Generally, you get what you pay for with tires. You can read the reviews of many tires on Tirerack and sort them for your particular vehicle. Most of the major brands are fine for your intended uses, though you have a relatively heavy car and should pay attention to the load ratings. I doubt a Eagle GT is the right tire for that car. I'd recommend an all-season touring tire. Watch your local tire stores for a sale. Compare any warranties (or extras like free rotations) between the wholesale clubs and a local store. Make sure to check your spare and make sure your jack and tools are in order.

Do you drive in snow?

If not, and if it were my decision to make, I'd get the BFG Advantage TA, the Michelin Harmony, or the Kumho Platinum. Pretty much any T or H rated touring tire... in tire rack lingo that would be a "Highway all season" or a "touring all season/grand touring all season" tire. Most Michelins will be out of your price range, but the Harmonys aren't that expensive.

Sams isn't really much cheaper than Tire rack, but as long as you keep your membership up you get the "free" warranty, which I have used and it is fantastic. If you do spend a lot of time on dirt roads or construction areas or whatever, that will likely pay for a patch/plug or new tire in the life of the four you buy. The tire rack warranty is useless, per my "tire rack certified price" installer. The sams is good in my experience, and available everywhere, and no hassle of getting reimbursed.

Like I said, Sams Club has 50 bucks off a set of 4 BFG's until Nov 9th. Tire Rack has 70 off a set of Michelins until Nov 15th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back