New super short commute: Truting GM OLM to adjust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife now has a daily commute of less than 2 miles. Weather here is 10F in the winter and 100F in the summer. Vehicle is a 2014 Silverado 5.3 direct injected. Typically the OLM aimed for roughly 7500 mile OCIs when we drove it normally. Given her commute now, the coolant never even comes up to temp 5 days a week with lots of cold idling. I try to drive it to work occasionally but even then it's only about 12 miles highway. Strangely, the OLM is still aiming for north of 7K ocis even given this new duty cycle. I have major concerns for intake valve deposits and fuel dilution given her new regiment of never warming up. Oil is usually QSUD/VSP/Amsoil OE/M1 0W-20. Am I overthinking this or should I be taking some additional measures here?

Your's is one case where a UOA would sure help answer questions.

I think it would be worth the investment. Just drive as usual and at your current oil change interval send in a sample.

Then we would be the ones asking you those questions about cold weather commuting with a similar vehicle.

Your money would be well spent.

2 miles, I wish my wife's commute was so long.

Caprice is getting about 9MPG at the moment on her commute.

Give the OLM some time to adjust. If she continues to drive short trips only, it will demand a shorter OCI. Remember not to go more than a year without an oil change.

My wife's commute is just short of 2 miles, she walks it most of the time. Great exercise.
Ever since she started the job closer to home, the Venza gets a once a year oil change.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Give the OLM some time to adjust. If she continues to drive short trips only, it will demand a shorter OCI. Remember not to go more than a year without an oil change.

I agree. On my Impala it normally goes about 7,000 - 7,500 miles but this time I've been doing more around town driving. The percent of oil life left has gone down much faster than usual.

I agree with others - if it makes you feel better get a UOA done.

Crazy oil math..

Wife- 4miles a day X 5 days a week - 20miles/week I will add in 30 miles per week for grocery store and misc. (50 miles per week) X 50 weeks - 2500 miles/yr.

Add your occasional driving and the number should be somewhere around 3000 miles a year give or take.

I think a safe bet would be to change 1X a year with a quality dexos synthetic and a high quality filter.

$35 per year oil change

Sounds almost like "small country town" commute to me. I agree above that a UOA might be useful in determining whether or not the OLM actually has it head screwed on properly.

Otherwise, for the same sort of price, you can just do an annual oil change and be done with it.

Families' 2003 Corolla does similar work, but warms up reasonably quick, at least. Run once every fortnight or so on a highway run.
Still only managed just shy of 3K miles in the last year and half since the oil service, so I did oil/filter for good measure. Tempting fate with a 5w20 oil that you might use in a more modern car (SynPower 5w20) - haven't noticed any odd noises, really and if that TGMO application chart it to be believed, there shouldn't be an issue. Strangely enough, oil pressure light goes out quicker than with the oil used by the previous mechanic (presumably a 40 or 50 weight of some description, Penrite, as it is in Australia...). Due to relocation, the car will see a dealership or something anyway shortly. Probably due for all manner of fluid exchanges, adjustments and lubrications, LOL.

Does anyone have information on how GM's OLM calculates interval? Whether it be "fuel consumption" and OLM sensor like modern BMW's, or the older mileage, starts, high rpm and fuel (etc) combination of the older setup?

I have UOAs posted on here of 2 mile commutes with some 10 mile weekend trips and other long trips in the previous gen 5.3. All my UOAs showed the GM OLM was spot on accurate. But it would call for 5-6 OCI. I always ran full synthetic due to the severe service.

Owners of GM vehicles fail to understand that the OLM takes in to account just about every driving situation-save for dusty driving conditions.

2014 Sonata 2.4 (also GDi)

I avg 28 miles per day, all city short trips.
Sometimes conventional, sometimes synthetic. Four UOAs done (two per). No measurable difference in dilution or wear metals.

3,700 - 4,000 mile OCi. (Hyundai's Severe svc schedule)

Not a GM vehicle, of course, but wouldn't any dexos certified oil suffice as per the OLM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back