New pan or add drain valve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me say I love this forum.. I have just recently gotten in to "all things oil" and in the past I have been asking my questions on ar15.com or tractorbynet.com, but now Im here, bothering you.. LOL

I have a '02 dodge/cummins 2500 (51k miles) that I want to switch over to amsoil ATF.. The current pan does not have a drain plug, which is OK for now since I want the filter changed and have the bands adjusted. IF i had a drain valve I would do the future exchanges/drain refills myself, but I am going to have a shop do the filter/bands..

Has anyone sucessfully added a drain plug to the transmission cover OR would i be better of buying a new pan with drain plug?

I do not do very much heavy towing at all, so I probably dont need the extra capacity of a new pan. I would also like to not incur that expense..

Here is the drain plug i found searching online

Drain plug add-on

here is the cheapest pan I have found that offers a drain plug

New drain pan

thoughts or comments are welcom

Brian

Last edited:
Ok my search mojo must not be working - I had already searched for "47re drain pan" and "drain plug add" and didnt find anything relevent to my questions.. what key words am i missing?

sorry

Brian

Even in VA where there's not a LOT of snow I'd be concerned about rust-out of that metal pan w/all those tubes to hold salt & moisture. I've heard that B&M makes a nice drain plug, & I have one of their pans on my '93 4L80E, & of course Mag-Hytec is the best if you want to spend BIG $$$!

Well, here's the thing!
Typicaly, Dodge automatic transmissions have a very efficent, flat type filter that catches alot of contaminents. Since these filters generaly need frequent replacements due to their being so effiecnt IMHO, why bother with a drain bolt in the pan. Change the filter and fluid regularly by just dropping the pan. If your plans were to change out the fluid only, eg; every other time you'll do a drain/refill, weeeellll, OK, install a drain plug! But, again IMHO, I beleive that the fluid and filter should be replaced together on a regular basis given Dodge's auto tranny history. Many replace the ATF/Filter every 2 years. Some, more often.

I like the drain oplug idea, but another option is to use a suction device, which pulls the fluid out the dipstick hole. Meter how much you remove, then replace the same amount.

Otherwise, Id look at the Mag Hytec AT pans.

JMH

Our Jeep's 42re, Chevy trailblazer and Sebring convt all sport those drain plugs. Dropping pan is so much easier now, no more mess. I looked at pans that have plugs built-in, they do drain more fluid but the cost...

Just use rtv to hold the nut that goes inside the pan on a spot that looks like it will not interfere with anything. Fit pan back into place on trans and feel for anything hitting.

Once you made sure the spot is okay, bust out a drill and drill a 1/2" hole where you measured. I deburr the new hole and then add rtv on the inside and outside plastic washers to make sure I get no leaks. Tighten plug and nut, let rtv set and your good to go.

Works great now I can just drain 4qts from each vehicle every 10K, simpler than an oil change. None of the three plugs has rusted or leaked to date.

Just get the new pan with the plug in it. I went with a deep pan with plug and was glad I did. More fluid capacity and cooler running fluid were added benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back