New Oatmeal A Total Yuck

Except there are no set requirements for calling a food organic. In fact all food is organic.
We can squabble over the merits of certification but a commercially sold product may be labeled only as organic if it is USDA certified organic. which means it is held to specific standards.

This is the oat product I mostly use, for example, in almond flour pancakes. Oat fiber can be used for making flour but you have to add a tackifier like gluten if you need your product to rise. 1 tsp has 4g carbs, 3g of which are fiber, of which roughly 2/3 are insoluble and 1/3 is soluble.

I often have some uncooked steel-cut oats with nuts, seeds, and berries. Why raw oats? I can't stand mushy oats and I don't get blowouts from uncooked oats. By some oats I mean like no more than 3-4 tablespoons. That's enough slow-digesting carbs to get me through a 5-mile run. I need about 50 grams of carbs per each hour of running if I am trying to maintain my weight.

Instant oatmeal is terrible. Bob's Red Milled rolled oats + a chopped up banana ,pinch salt Cup water, nuke for 5 minutes KISS :cool:

Old fashioned rolled oats doesn't have any after taste that I can detect. Of course you have to fuss with them a bit while cooking.

the ONLY healthy oatmeal is organic steel cut, long cooking time + lots of gas from the fiber!!! give me eggs!!!

the ONLY healthy oatmeal is organic steel cut, long cooking time + lots of gas from the fiber!!! give me eggs!!!
What is(are) the problem(s) with regular old fasioned rolled oats which need to be cooked approximately the same amount of time as steel cut?

What is(are) the problem(s) with regular old fasioned rolled oats which need to be cooked approximately the same amount of time as steel cut?
Nothing nothing at all is wrong just cause it’s written on the internet don’t make it a fact.

Made this morning.
20240302_061707.jpg

I cooked some of Bob's steel cut oats. in a crock pot using the recipe on the bag. It says it was 4 portions. I use a cup of ROs, so the portions are tiny I sliced a banana into it, that normally would go into the bowl first. I prefer the texture of rolled oats but didn't mind the steel cut. The prep for steel cut would mesh better with a solid fuel heater, coal or peat shut down really low even just the ashes for overnight. Cooking it with gas or electric is a waste of energy. My method takes a minute to prepare and is ready in 5 minutes and uses a single bowl. :cool:

Back