New Motorcraft FL-910S opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Try that water flow test on one that looks like this and see what happens. Be prepared to get all wet when the water want's to shoot out the hole the faucet end is up against.

Was wondering. How do we know if we are seeing only the back side of these louvers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a M1 filter? Perhaps it's design is where all the louvers face one direction and this is the back side. Can we find other M1 filters and see if their louvers all face one way. If not, then louvered filters from this factory will be suspect.

Last edited:
Date code is underlined, and the format is mm/dd/yy. So this one is 09/09/16 (Sep 9, 2016).

Thanks ZeeOSix!

Usually Advance Auto has the correct information for specifications, and they list the 910s at 50 microns. Not sure if that is correct or not, but thought I would mention it.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/motor...02-P#fragment-2

Originally Posted By: tig1
Try that water flow test on one that looks like this and see what happens. Be prepared to get all wet when the water want's to shoot out the hole the faucet end is up against.

Was wondering. How do we know if we are seeing only the back side of these louvers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a M1 filter? Perhaps it's design is where all the louvers face one direction and this is the back side. Can we find other M1 filters and see if their louvers all face one way. If not, then louvered filters from this factory will be suspect.

You can see the small openings facing the base, and if you look closely you can see a matching louver facing the opposite way. You can see the bent out louver's backside - so the opening would be facing towards the dome end. Most louvers seem to have opposite facing openings, just like the Motorcraft posted in this thread.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Date code is underlined, and the format is mm/dd/yy. So this one is 09/09/16 (Sep 9, 2016).

Thanks ZeeOSix!

Usually Advance Auto has the correct information for specifications, and they list the 910s at 50 microns. Not sure if that is correct or not, but thought I would mention it.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/motor...02-P#fragment-2

Anytime BigD1. The 50 microns spec shown on the Advanced Auto website is pretty nebulous since there is no corresponding efficiency given. Might be taken as the "nominal" efficiency which is typically meant to be 50%.

The Amsoil graph showed the Motorcraft filter at 93.7% @ 20 microns, which is pretty good.

Originally Posted By: tig1

You can see the small openings facing the base, and if you look closely you can see a matching louver facing the opposite way. You can see the bent out louver's backside - so the opening would be facing towards the dome end. Most louvers seem to have opposite facing openings, just like the Motorcraft posted in this thread.

If that's a M1 filter wouldn't that be made by Champ Labs?

That actually looks like my Wix 51358, tig1, considering it took me enough photos to get things in reasonable focus, but Z will have to let us know for sure.
wink.gif

The 50 microns spec shown on the Advanced Auto website is pretty nebulous since there is no corresponding efficiency given. Might be taken as the "nominal" efficiency which is typically meant to be 50%.

The Amsoil graph showed the Motorcraft filter at 93.7% @ 20 microns, which is pretty good.

Oh dang. I forgot about the Amsoil graph. Motorcraft oil filter efficiency is good enough for me.

EAO_efficiency_900.jpg

So, now we are at a different point on an oil filters analogy, that we must inspect the louvers now before we buy it? SERIOUSLY? Why don't we just do away with oil filters all together? I mean, every time one is posted in here there seems to be a problem with it. Oh, wait, the FU is the ONLY filter that is acceptable! I'm sure, eventually, someone is going to find something wrong with it, like the lettering is crooked, meaning it can't be used then.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Oh, wait, the FU is the ONLY filter that is acceptable! I'm sure, eventually, someone is going to find something wrong with it, like the lettering is crooked, meaning it can't be used then.

If there was really an issue with Puro-made filters besides media tears, wouldn't the automakers put out an TSB about aftermarket oil filters causing noise or engine damage as well as Puro putting out an APB to all dealers/installers about a filter recall?

Granted, I did install a FU on my parent's van but I wouldn't hesitate to use a Motorcraft. They're well-priced and do the job. Heck, I'll install a FEG(OCOD) before I would install a Chinese-made or jobber filter.

So, now we are at a different point on an oil filters analogy, that we must inspect the louvers now before we buy it? SERIOUSLY? Why don't we just do away with oil filters all together? I mean, every time one is posted in here there seems to be a problem with it. Oh, wait, the FU is the ONLY filter that is acceptable! I'm sure, eventually, someone is going to find something wrong with it, like the lettering is crooked, meaning it can't be used then.

There are reasons people point out these types of manufacturing and quality flaws.

BOF, you have right to use junk ... so carry on.
34.gif

There are reasons people point out these types of manufacturing and quality flaws.

34.gif

Only because you claim it's junk.
I bet if I were to Ninja style sneak into your garage and install one of the "JUNK" filters you claim to be, onto your Z06, you would NEVER know said filter were on your vehicle, until you changed it after 8-9 OCI's.
Isn't this a blast, how we are following each other around, trying to get the better dig on each other? Your turn.

34.gif

Only because you claim it's junk.
I bet if I were to Ninja style sneak into your garage and install one of the "JUNK" filters you claim to be, onto your Z06, you would NEVER know said filter were on your vehicle, until you changed it after 8-9 OCI's.
Isn't this a blast, how we are following each other around, trying to get the better dig on each other? Your turn.

If you don't understand why closed up louvers or torn media are not a good things, then just keep living in that fuzzy warm world your in.
wink.gif

Hey, I’ll buy the FL 910s. I installed the old style yesterday. It’s either that or the WIX or NAPA Gold for my Escape.

If you don't understand why closed up louvers or torn media are not a good things, then just keep living in that fuzzy warm world your in.
wink.gif

I didn't say it was bad or good. I'm having a blast making you work to to try and convince me why these filters are bad. And, I'm enjoying your responses.
BTW, go to your warm and fuzzy "SAFE PLACE" and come up with some more reasons why these filters are bad and I should be convinced by now.
crackmeup2.gif

Haven't you figured it out yet that I'm "MAKING" you reply to my absurd replies?
Your turn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back